how do you make time, and what are they ? (hobbies~)

XII360

xzzzxcz.png.0dce8cdd2a58ecb340791ac3bb2fcdae.png

so yea~, been thinking of making this thread, but my brain couldn't think of a good intro, thus i wrote this, and i gotta say, this is one hell of a improved intro,

so yea, what are you're hobbies ? and how do you make time in doing the said hobbies (assuming you have a job, or responsibility, i.e student responsibilities) ?

its a pretty damn simple question, and short question, as compared to my other threads, which take up an hour to read (that is, ofcourse, a joke <.>)

as for me, my hobbies are; (aside from anime/manga/playing games) is drawing, listening to J-songs, and reading Visual novels

im a student, as everyone might/might not know, and i make time, by sacrificing some of my other hobbies to fill in some of them, (e.g; not playing video games just to draw, or not watching anime just to read VN's, vice versa), but as a student, we all know that studying can eat up 90% of hobby/relaxation time, thus making my free time be, like, every sunday only ?, and that isn't to say if the following day is a "quiz/exam day", which is how im sometimes surprised at how some people can do their hobbies so well, as compared to me, an insignificant human being, unable to keep up with anime shows/manga/games/news, >.>

but that's about me, what about you ?!, what are you're hobbies, and how do you find the time to enjoy doing the said hobby, if you have say, work, school, or a "project" your aiming to finish ?

lets have a discussion~

• Like 2

I have many hobbies that I partake in which include, Video games, board games, RP, writing, drawing, graphics, computers in general, programing, tinkering/modding both hardware, and games. I also am a runner/walker. I walk pretty much to do most of my errands, though I make time to walk at least 6 miles 4 times a week. IAs far as making time for it all the answer at least in my case is there is not time in one day for all of it. Though over the span of several days I find the time.

• Like 1
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1

18 minutes ago, ArchieKun said:

As far as making time for it all the answer at least in my case is there is not time in one day for all of it. Though over the span of several days I find the time.

yea, i know what you mean by this, i usually cant do what i want, unless its my break time, or i have no studies, but im more surprised at how other people can do their hobbies, and still do good at their work (in my case, i know someone who is up-to-date with anime and novels, and still does well in class, not to mention his somewhat of a "perfectionist" when playing games)

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, XII360 said:

yea, i know what you mean by this, i usually cant do what i want, unless its my break time, or i have no studies, but im more surprised at how other people can do their hobbies, and still do good at their work (in my case, i know someone who is up-to-date with anime and novels, and still does well in class, not to mention his somewhat of a "perfectionist" when playing games)

As a wise one once said if there isn't time then you gotta make time, and prioritize. I personally think in terms of keeping up with series a lot of people myself include will go, and watch every episode though when it is first airing that is not always the case. If for example there is a few episodes that are filler, or otherwise just not interesting then its skipped. In which case you just read a synopsis online for it. Though for me I sometimes have trouble keeping up with all the anime I want to watch. Though I think it over, and realize yes I wanna watch the anime, but then I also wanna beat this game, or do my walking ,or watch a computer class online. I for one love online lecture about computers, and science even computer science, and programing. I watch them then practice just for one. That is a big hobby of mine as big as anime, and gaming. Lately whats been being neglected in my case is drawing. I do not have a tab, thatas good enough plus my focus right now is expanding my programing to the non web based platforms. Just gotta do one thing at a time, and it'll all fall into line if you want it to. :)

• Agree 1

Since schools back in session, most of my time is doing homework and other course work outside of class. 

If I'm fortunate enough to have an hour or two to do what I want, I'll most likely read LNs on my kindle or read a VN for a bit.

Although, I might watch an episode or two of an anime if I feel like it.

If I'm not doing any of the above, I'm playing a round or two of R6:Siege or I'm playing on my Switch.

That's pretty much it for me. I also have a few friends who do sports as well and it baffles me how they manage to fit all their responsibilities and hobbies alongside their mandatory practices as well.

• Agree 1

Mmm... This is a tricky question...

I think it's a matter of knowing your priorities & time management. My hobbies are watching anime, series, drawing, and playing games.

I think what worked for me best when I was a student was to watch anime/ series that are not completed yet, meaning I have to wait each week/s for the next episode/s. This helped me a lot in controlling myself not to binge-watch. I just do this when it's my vacation or I don't have anything due. As for games, this was really hard for me to control. I think what I did was I listen and focus during classes so that I don't need to study a lot during exams (for subjects that were easy), but I make sure I give enough time to study for classes that were harder. I reward myself after with playing games hard-core. And while I study, I try to watch something every now and then to not stress too much. 

I don't have much time doing sports/ exercise (well... because I'm too lazy for it) but I try to walk a lot to make up for being a couch potato. Sometimes, if I'm really motivated, I do some aerobics at home in the morning. 

I think it's simply discipline. 

• Agree 1

> I take amateur photography via my mobile phone's camera - mostly of flora, fauna, buildings and the sky. Usually after work or classes on my way to home, or when I go out or walk in the backyard of my house, I find the time to take pics of stuff I see and like. Sometimes I use my own photos as references for my art.

> I like watching gameplays, tv series and animes, (mostly for film/media/storyline research cuz it's a habit I picked up from when I used to go to Uni to study Animation.) I do it when I don't feel like working on any art or when I have free periods/free days from classes. I especially do it the most when I get sick and need time to recover my health.

> I colour people's linearts for fun or practice. I usually do this when I feel like I want to create something, but don't have enough drive to make my own art. I also do it when I want to experiment with/test out colours, before applying it to my own work, and then I use the piece as a colour palette itself for when I'm working on my drawings in Photoshop. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Decimo said:

That's pretty much it for me. I also have a few friends who do sports as well and it baffles me how they manage to fit all their responsibilities and hobbies alongside their mandatory practices as well.

...this is also true, what is their secret ?!, i wanna do my hobbies and responsibilities too ;_;

6 hours ago, piiachu said:

I think it's a matter of knowing your priorities & time management. My hobbies are watching anime, series, drawing, and playing games.

I think what worked for me best when I was a student was to watch anime/ series that are not completed yet, meaning I have to wait each week/s for the next episode/s. This helped me a lot in controlling myself not to binge-watch. 

I don't have much time doing sports/ exercise (well... because I'm too lazy for it) but I try to walk a lot to make up for being a couch potato. Sometimes, if I'm really motivated, I do some aerobics at home in the morning. 

I think it's simply discipline. 

ah time management, the professor always told us on our freshman year that its a requirement for this course/profession, and i so have it, but i tend to throw it all on studies if i know there's an exam/quiz tomorrow..making me sacrifice hobbies, i mean, i have this wierd feeling, if i chillax one second over study, ill not ace tomorrows quiz/exam, making my grades go down, and if my grades go down, i will fail, and if i fail, my mom wont send me allowance >_< 

but true, its most likely just discipline

4 hours ago, Kohloo said:

I don't really have any hobbies. I do a fair amount of making, but that needs to be done anyway, so there's always time for it somewhere

surely you jest ?!, im sure you have atleast one thing you enjoy doing that does not profit you in one way or another ?!, ...unless that's your hobby >.>

1 hour ago, Anisa Mazaki said:

> I take amateur photography via my mobile phone's camera - mostly of flora, fauna, buildings and the sky. Usually after work or classes on my way to home, or when I go out or walk in the backyard of my house, I find the time to take pics of stuff I see and like. Sometimes I use my own photos as references for my art.

> I like watching gameplays, tv series and animes, (mostly for film/media/storyline research cuz it's a habit I picked up from when I used to go to Uni to study Animation.) I do it when I don't feel like working on any art or when I have free periods/free days from classes. I especially do it the most when I get sick and need time to recover my health.

> I colour people's linearts for fun or practice. I usually do this when I feel like I want to create something, but don't have enough drive to make my own art. I also do it when I want to experiment with/test out colours, before applying it to my own work, and then I use the piece as a colour palette itself for when I'm working on my drawings in Photoshop. 

but how do you make time in doing all these ?!, surely you cant do all of them, along side with you're responsibilities ? (unless, that is you're line of profession..?)

40 minutes ago, XII360 said:

but how do you make time in doing all these ?!, surely you cant do all of them, along side with you're responsibilities ? (unless, that is you're line of profession..?)

Erm.... I answered how at the end of each subject o_O

> Photography - "Usually after work or classes on my way to home, or when I go out or walk in the backyard of my house, I find the time to take pics of stuff I see and like. Sometimes I use my own photos as references for my art."

> Watching Gamplays etc  - "I do it when I don't feel like working on any art or when I have free periods/free days from classes. I especially do it the most when I get sick and need time to recover my health."

Lineart colouring - "I usually do this when I feel like I want to create something, but don't have enough drive to make my own art. I also do it when I want to experiment with/test out colours, before applying it to my own work, and then I use the piece as a colour palette itself for when I'm working on my drawings in Photoshop. "

You just make the time where you can, based on how you feel. I mean, you're human afterall, so it's understandable if you want to do something eles from time to time beside work/school. 

1 hour ago, Anisa Mazaki said:

Erm.... I answered how at the end of each subject o_O

> Photography - "Usually after work or classes on my way to home, or when I go out or walk in the backyard of my house, I find the time to take pics of stuff I see and like. Sometimes I use my own photos as references for my art."

> Watching Gamplays etc  - "I do it when I don't feel like working on any art or when I have free periods/free days from classes. I especially do it the most when I get sick and need time to recover my health."

Lineart colouring - "I usually do this when I feel like I want to create something, but don't have enough drive to make my own art. I also do it when I want to experiment with/test out colours, before applying it to my own work, and then I use the piece as a colour palette itself for when I'm working on my drawings in Photoshop. "

You just make the time where you can, based on how you feel. I mean, you're human afterall, so it's understandable if you want to do something eles from time to time beside work/school. 

oh..

well-crap-10973997.png

we shall forever, endevor, forget i ever asked this question, for we both agree, i am not a smart boy man

• Funny 1

Typically like tactical games, VNs, anime, manga, and finding cute characters on pinterest/pixiv.  I work full time, and have an hour drive one way, but I don't really do anything special when it comes to time management.  I simply spend time on whatever comes to mind and go with that.  If that means that certain hobbies get less attention then so be it, not going to force myself to do a hobby more than what I feel like.  Also, don't really feel like I'm sacrificing any hobbies this way, if they naturally fade out like that then they simply don't have a place in my life anymore.

• Informative 1

54 minutes ago, drill said:

Also, don't really feel like I'm sacrificing any hobbies this way, if they naturally fade out like that then they simply don't have a place in my life anymore.

..that's brutal, but understandable, i probably cant do this, as i have a hard time leaving things behind, even selling my console to my friend was pretty heart brokening to me, and i didn't use it at all after completing mary skelter/p4g

1 hour ago, XII360 said:

..that's brutal, but understandable, i probably cant do this, as i have a hard time leaving things behind, even selling my console to my friend was pretty heart brokening to me, and i didn't use it at all after completing mary skelter/p4g

I understand when it comes to leaving collectables behind. I still have my GC, and SNES as well as my N64 from 10 years ago.

Though as said above watching game play, or lets plays is a good hobby to get into. It lets you see something from another perspective that you otherwise would not have seen yourself. This is also true of other kinds of tutorials like art. I have watched anime art tutorials just for the sake of it. Once you then become even more confident in your hobbies as well as your abilities then you'll find yourself making tons of time for them.

• Agree 1

Just now, ArchieKun said:

Once you then become even more confident in your hobbies as well as your abilities then you'll find yourself making tons of time for them.

this is true, but sometimes in life, there are thing's that you dont want, that you have to put more time onto, (coughworkcough), thus getting less time on things you want (coughhobbies) unless they both, being work and hobby, correlated on the same scene/event/workline ? (huh, i had a hard time of putting it into a short sentence that made sense)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, XII360 said:

this is true, but sometimes in life, there are thing's that you dont want, that you have to put more time onto, (coughworkcough), thus getting less time on things you want (coughhobbies) unless they both, being work and hobby, correlated on the same scene/event/workline ? (huh, i had a hard time of putting it into a short sentence that made sense)

Its all good a lot of the time I feel like my replies are never short, but I try to make them not endless. Though to your point yes there will always be these things that are unavailable. I will say though one way that I use to feel better about this sort of thing is to think of them as stepping stones. As I do one then the next I get closer to what I want to do.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, XII360 said:

Eventually, I had to do it this way.  I used to try and keep all my hobbies, but I was going insane because I didn't have the time for all of them, and by forcing certain ones to stay, it took away from the overall enjoyment by quite a bit.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, drill said:

Eventually, I had to do it this way.  I used to try and keep all my hobbies, but I was going insane because I didn't have the time for all of them, and by forcing certain ones to stay, it took away from the overall enjoyment by quite a bit.

i guess you are right, if you force yourself onto something that was once meant to give you fun; but currently does not give the same joy it once did; would just imply you're not having fun on it anymore, which is pretty damn much not a fun thing to do.

so leaving it behind with good memories -- is better than staying to long with it and gaining bad memories of it

...oddly makes me think of the quote "you either live long enough to see yourself turn into a villain. or die a hero" >_>

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, XII360 said:

i guess you are right, if you force yourself onto something that was once meant to give you fun; but currently does not give the same joy it once did; would just imply you're not having fun on it anymore, which is pretty damn much not a fun thing to do.

so leaving it behind with good memories -- is better than staying to long with it and gaining bad memories of it

...oddly makes me think of the quote "you either live long enough to see yourself turn into a villain. or die a hero" >_>

Thats just it if something ever becomes more of a chore then a pleasure if it isn't nessisary for life, or daily needs etc then why stress. Thats why they always say never make your all time passion your job pick the 2nd one for that fir example.

Well as you know I'm more into the art thing.  (Tah-da!  some of my current unfinished works.) But beyond that I'm also a very much a self taught individual that I am recently putting lots of time into.  (working hard on it)  I do have a lot of time I can fill.  But that comes at a cost.  No life.  lol.  If you're a Gamer/Artist/Coder/Adventurer/Cyclist/Jumper/Par-cor/Dancer/Party Animal/student/sleeper This and that then you know there just isn't enough time in the day for everything so priority and schedules are normally a good thing.  Finding time for everything can be hard.  Otherwise you're stuck doing just 15 minutes of everything.  And nobody wants only 15 minutes of anything.  That's not even a full of episode of any given show that's on tv.  (not exactly accurate but you get my point) 

I hope you find some way you can find more time for fun.  

witch.png

peachy.png

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

7 hours ago, FinDee said:

Well as you know I'm more into the art thing.  (Tah-da!  some of my current unfinished works.) (working hard on it)  I do have a lot of time I can fill.  But that comes at a cost.  No life.  lol.   

Otherwise you're stuck doing just 15 minutes of everything.  And nobody wants only 15 minutes of anything.  That's not even a full of episode of any given show that's on tv.  (not exactly accurate but you get my point) 

I hope you find some way you can find more time for fun.  

witch.png

peachy.png

as usual, you're artworks are good, already liked it on twits when i saw it 2 days? ago <.> (was at school at that time and had nothing to do sooo)

this, specifically the bolded though, this is why i cant do some stuff, couse its not that i really have only 15 minutes to do something, rather, i feel i ONLY have a little time to do my hobby >_>

i mean,  you wouldn't play an RPG game, then come back a week later would you ?, you'd forget what does what in the game >_>, i know, i tried, i came back to fate/extra, and i had no idea who my servant was (i thought it was emiya, but surprise surprise, i choose nero on my 2nd playthough) and what button's did what >.<

On 9/1/2018 at 8:31 PM, XII360 said:

surely you jest ?!, im sure you have atleast one thing you enjoy doing that does not profit you in one way or another ?!, ...unless that's your hobby >.>

I do not! I need to find a hobby or a few for my downtime really. But I just got PSNow last night, so maybe I'll start playing more games as a hobby :3

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

11 hours ago, Kohloo said:

I do not! I need to find a hobby or a few for my downtime really. But I just got PSNow last night, so maybe I'll start playing more games as a hobby :3

PSNow is cool a friend, and I tried it about a year ago to play hit shots golf. Basically a anime golf game. They have a lot of retro PS, and PS2 games in their library to chose from. I'd say it will keep you entertained for a while.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ArchieKun said:

PSNow is cool a friend, and I tried it about a year ago to play hit shots golf. Basically a anime golf game. They have a lot of retro PS, and PS2 games in their library to chose from. I'd say it will keep you entertained for a while.

Oh my god, I've played Hot Shots Golf, I found it hilariously entertaining lmao. And oh for sure, it's the perfect option for me :) 

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, Kohloo said:

Oh my god, I've played Hot Shots Golf, I found it hilariously entertaining lmao. And oh for sure, it's the perfect option for me :) 

Well I am glad its the choice for you, and that its working out. I personally like having my consoles,. and PC, and a bit more hands on control of the software. Though thats not to say with a good strong internet connection you can't enjoy a large amount of games via their servers. I know you can even have PSNow on smart tvs too.

• Like 1