how do you make time, and what are they ? (hobbies~)

XII360

23 hours ago, ArchieKun said:

Well I am glad its the choice for you, and that its working out. I personally like having my consoles,. and PC, and a bit more hands on control of the software. Though thats not to say with a good strong internet connection you can't enjoy a large amount of games via their servers. I know you can even have PSNow on smart tvs too.

You can also do PSNow on your computer, as I recently discovered

14 hours ago, Kohloo said:

You can also do PSNow on your computer, as I recently discovered

Yes that is very true, and in keeping on topic in terms os making time for one's hobbies that is a better way to balance play/work then thee console as well since you have a clock on your comp vs tv, or console.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

For hobbies I do are: Journaling, Reading, Learning, Movies, Crafts, ( Mainly Origami ) ( sometimes ) Gaming, Cooking & Baking, Organizing & Cleaning, Walking and Spending time with my family, pets and my dear friend ❤️ 

Edited by HanaApril
  • Like 2

I used to work in an office (like most people) but I now work from home.

I realized commuting to work takes a lot of your time. You don't just give up 8 hours of your day. You give up 9 hours and more. (lunch break, travel time, waking up early)

Then even with weekends off, you usually just get to enjoy 1 day off. The other day is used for chores or errands or just lazing around. 

And this is with a normal office schedule. Other jobs have worse schedules.

So working from home gave me a lot of free time for hobbies like playing videogames, making videogames, editing videos, 2d animation, photography and watching anime, movies, TV shows.

Well like any normal person, I made a contract with some rabbit-like creature to become a magical girl with time-controlling powers. 

I'm mostly kidding, I just use time on my weekends, not exciting but it works. My hobbies being spending time with friends, videogames, anime, and taking care of guns and target shooting, in that order of priority.

I think one of the biggest time-savers that I've managed so far was to NOT watch TV!  I dropped my old-school TV habit well over a decade ago, well before "cable cutting" was a thing.  I used to waste so much time in front of the TV just channel-surfing.  I'd get home from that long commute and spend /another/ couple hours/day in front of the TV.  Including the 20 or so minutes/hour of commercials!  OMG..  I cringe now just thinking of it.

I still watch video of course, but now I pretty much only stream stuff, only when it is compatible with my schedule, and I don't watch anything with commercials in it.  Anime I'll binge from Crunchy or one of the other streaming sites.  At this point even most of my DVD library I've ripped and put on my Plex server.  Not watching TV gave me a huge chunk of time to spend on other things.

2 hours ago, Ryan Dave Jimenez said:

I realized commuting to work takes a lot of your time. You don't just give up 8 hours of your day. You give up 9 hours and more. (lunch break, travel time, waking up early)

Then even with weekends off, you usually just get to enjoy 1 day off. The other day is used for chores or errands or just lazing around. 

And this is with a normal office schedule. Other jobs have worse schedules.

I agree that commutes are a killer.  For a while in my very early career I had about a 50 mile commute.  One way!  That's at least 90 minutes on the road every day on the freeways around here.  If there was an accident or something it could easily be double that.  The job itself was ok, but I quit because of the commute.  That was just too much wasted time.  Wasted time driving of course, but also wasted time working the extra hours to pay for the gas and car maintenance.

My next job was about 2/3rd of the distance, but it was also shift work, 4 days on, 4 days off, and 12 hour shifts.  Still not ideal, but that worked out much better because I was only commuting the shorter distance half my days instead of 5/7ths, and often not during the crazy-traffic "rush" hour.  The 12 hour shifts were tougher because if you're working 12 then you only have 12 to eat, sh-t, shower, shave, etc. before you have to be back on the job.  There was NO time to do anything else.  On the other hand, the 4 days off were wonderful.  Usually I had to spend the first day off taking care of everything that happened during the previous 4 work days, but that still basically gives you a 3-day weekend every "week"/cycle.  If you have to commute a long way then that's probably the least-painful way to deal with it.  (Assuming it is an option.)

These days I'm back on a regular 8 hour, 5 day schedule, but my commute is only about 6 miles and I'm spending a LOT less time on the road.  I spend less time commuting per week than I used to spend on the road per DAY.  Just in terms of commute time that's given me back over 6 hours per week - nearly an hour every day - that I can do other things with.  It also has other benefits.  I can literally be walking into my office at work 20 minutes after waking up.  (Not my usual mode, but it has happened.  There'll always be that middle-of-the-night panic call that just can't be dealt with by logging in from home.)  I can also do things like run home for/during my lunch break.

I do actually prefer working at work however.  Less distractions for one thing, and I find it easier to keep in touch/tune, both with my co-workers and with the "office vibe".

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

I start new hobbies all the time and my husband thinks I never follow trough with anything 🤣

Because I end up not being able to continue doing the hobbies I once was so engrossed in.

for instance, before I got pregnant with our first child, I wanted to become good at tennis. I never had instruction or played in any tournaments- I'm kinda shy.. and I guess it's easier to not put myself out there as a first timer being an adult.. an out of shape adult at that.

but since having our child I have even less time for outdoor sports, since she doesn't go to childcare.

last year I really wanted to learn volleyball after watching Haikyu! And that hasn't gone anywhere either - still the same delimma with no time to go play with others to improve.

guess I need to find some more solitary hobbies, but I'm more interested in sports.

I like martial arts as well, but would prefer to practice with others as opposed to learning online.

So for the time being, my hobbies include meal planning and seeing my friends with kids, and trying to make my daughters life enriching.

Also in the evenings I gather the family for a round of dancing, trying to learn line dances right now.

Edited by Seshi
  • Like 1