what attracts you to anime ? (and or manga)

XII360

Illustration3.thumb.png.a391e0f36b48fc361d516130e5014b52.png

sooo, not sure whether this should be on the "anime" or "chit chat", but since im talking about anime, i shall place it here~

but yea, what attracts you to "anime" and or "manga" ?, is it the character ?, the artstyle ?, the story ? the breasts and ass ?, the plot of the story ?, the plot of the women characters ?

i for once, am attracted to how they are drawn, and mostly the female characters in the anime, 20% of the time its the story, but 80% of the time, the female character's attract me and i end up watching them and or rooting for more screen time of the character's i like,

aside from that, the comedy side of the anime is what also lures me to watch them, as it cant match regular show's comedy (though, thats my point of view, as someone who "barely" watches TV shows >_>)

...and lots of fanservice stuff reasons

but what about you ?!, what attracts you to watchanime ?!, lets have a discussion~

on the side note/unrelated note, i am never rendering stuff again, it was such a pain to remove the background just to add them all in one image, like jesus, i didn't even think of cut offs on when i was editing, so i had to fix some them, aside from OPM, i-i gave up on fixing his hands >_>

I watch anime primarily to experience a story. I don't give a crap about what the story is about, so long as it's good at what it's trying to do. That's why I hate cliffhangers so much, because it's almost always a huge waste of time to me. Why start a story and then never get an ending? You wouldn't read your child a bedtime story and then never finish it. It's dumb.

So really it can be any number of things that draw me towards an anime, but overall, I enjoy anime as a medium because it tells its stories in a way that nothing else does, which is especially true for action stuff. You'd be hard pressed to find a live-action equivalent to this.

• Funny 1

Well for me I started watching anime at a very young age around 5 or so. So anime imprinted on me before western style animation did. I honestly believe that has a least something to do with it. Though beyond that I have always preferred a series with a more cereal plot structure to something more episodic like most western cartoon series. I also love the art a lot more as wwell. It is just something that is rigorous to me, and its what I am used to. Then there is so many anime game series as well as JRPGs which are more or less playable anime along with VNs which are another form of playable anime. In terms of manga all of the above holds true, but manga is what got me into graphic novels so ironically my love of manga encouraged me to try western comics as well as western graphic novel series like the walking dead.

As far as what keeps me cumming back. anime, and manga are just a big part of who I am. I would say apart from that the amazing community that has grown up around it espicially now with how accepted it is. Its just a good thing to be a part of.

The thing that we really love about anime is the difference in storytelling style compared to western TV. We haven't watched much western TV in the last few years, but from what we have, it's all very heavy handed, and treats the viewer like an idiot. It sounds weird, but it's like they're trying to make an easy to consume series rather than a good story. There are definitely some anime that do the same thing, but they generally aren't the good anime.

Next up is anime's ability to convey emotions. We both have some acting experience, and one of us has an A in GCSE drama. Acting is hard. It's really hard trying to replicate facial expressions, and some of them are so similar that it's hard to distinguish between them without actually analysing them. That's easy to do face to face when you're talking to someone, but in the middle of a TV show where the camera tells you where to look, it's much harder to convey. Most of the time the viewer has to extrapolate based on what else is going on (e.g. 'they're scared because there's a big monster', or 'they're distraught because someone just posed them a moral dilemma'. Actually, what the hell does a distraught facial expression even look like?). The other way to aid in the understanding process is just to do a close up of the character's face as a tear rolls down their cheek or whatever. That just looks bad though. Due to anime being drawn though, they can accentuate the emotions. It just heightens the whole experience for us. We can't imagine how so many anime could be done in live action precisely for this reason. The best show this season by far is High Score Girl. In it, the main girl, Oono, is completely mute. She just grunts every so often. Even so, she's a ridiculously complex and emotional character. Everything she does has meaning, and that meaning is something you can work out. How the hell do you do a mute character in anything other than anime and make them as good as Oono?

Thirdly, something we really like is a good soundtrack. When was the last time you saw a western show or movie that had a really memorable, lyricless, ORIGINAL soundtrack? The only ones we can think of are Harry Potter, How to Train Your Dragon, and maybe a couple of songs from Pirates of the Caribbean. There are a shed load of great anime soundtracks though, too many to name.

Edited by the_twig
  • Agree 1

Anime (and animation) is weird and that's why I love it : D, I grow up watching all kind of animation and found the that the the fact it could be more over the top and over designed really added to what I felt from the events (jokes could be funnier, action could be more over the top, the way dialog could be delivered in more interesting ways and the feels oh god the feels).

While watching more standard movies and television could be really enjoyable, it could also only be so different from everything else but anime could be weird and crazy adding drama to some of the most basic things or tellings stories that just made no sense unless you experienced it.

Of course as I watched more anime, I started to see similar stories and shows that feel like like clones of each other there is always something weird or different enough to keep me interested in it.

I also have interest in manga but I can't say my love for it is nearly as strong but I'd say I enjoy it for very similar reason to why I enjoy animation the power to be over the top without just bring silly.

8 hours ago, awesomedude20 said:

So really it can be any number of things that draw me towards an anime, but overall, I enjoy anime as a medium because it tells its stories in a way that nothing else does, which is especially true for action stuff. You'd be hard pressed to find a live-action equivalent to this.

...if they ever did a live action equivalent to that, i would laugh at how many takes it would take, not to mention it wont ever be the same as how animator's did it, (since they cant 100% replicate explosion's, thus bad cgi might arrive, and that's not to mention the akward flying towards wall/stunt

would be pretty funny/comedic, rather than serious if it ever happened >_>

7 hours ago, ArchieKun said:

Then there is so many anime game series as well as JRPGs which are more or less playable anime along with VNs which are another form of playable anime.

mhm, speaking of which, most of my game's are anime-themed, there's just something about the character's that get me into it

(though, that's not to say i dont get attracted to non-anime-themed games, i get attracted to games like, heavy rain, dark souls, total shogun and the likes too, i just get attracted to

anime-themed ones more often than rest)

The thing that attracts to me to anime and manga is they give me something that American media/entertinment lacks, which are engaging stories and characters that actually come across as humans.

There are exceptions out there, but a lot of things found in entertainment seem to have too much eye candy and something without any story or characters that one could relate to or understand, in addition to things coming off as dull.

Anime and manga might fall into many of these problems too, but I find myself having a much more enjoyable time reading manga or watching anime, because it comes across as much more fun and gives me time to get to know characters, so that I am not expected to put myself in the character's shoes, which is not something that helps people understand others.

• Agree 1

The overall attraction to anime for me is the nearly infinite amount of variety there is. You can tell basically any story in anime format. I mean, it's semi-true for other formats as well, but then we're getting into visual aspect. I really like animated shows, I find them highly enjoyable. For specific anime, it's usually a combination of story and visual appeal

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brycec said:

There are exceptions out there, but a lot of things found in entertainment seem to have too much eye candy and something without any story or characters that one could relate to or understand, in addition to things coming off as dull.

true, if one cant relate to the character, it tends to sometimes come off as dull, though sometimes, even without relating to the character, theres just something that drags my interest into liking/watching the shows;

1 hour ago, brycec said:

Anime and manga might fall into many of these problems too, but I find myself having a much more enjoyable time reading manga or watching anime, because it comes across as much more fun and gives me time to get to know characters

yes, yes !, exactly, see'ing other people (well, characters to be exact) having a fun, time, somehow gets my heart a flutter, and or have a fun time watching it, (or its just me ?, atleast, i giggle like a school girl when the anime does stupid, silly thing's that usually wont happened in real life)

1 hour ago, Kohloo said:

The overall attraction to anime for me is the nearly infinite amount of variety there is.

^, (true) but recently, even with the infinite amount's of variety, there has been a sort of "copy pasta" works, where some genre's become somewhat a little to identical on the story of other anime's, but also not copy-paste, (e.g. story scenerio is somewhat same, but different-characters and or namings/terms used)

but i guess this cant be avoided, after all, even with infinite possibilities, its hard enough to remember basic stuff, what more for complicated stuff ?

edit: below this text

6 hours ago, Kingdom122 said:

Anime (and animation) is weird and that's why I love it : D, I grow up watching all kind of animation and found that the fact it could be more over the top and over designed really added to what I felt from the events (jokes could be funnier, action could be more over the top, the way dialog could be delivered in more interesting ways and the feels oh god the feels).

While watching more standard movies and television could be really enjoyable, it could also only be so different from everything else but anime could be weird and crazy adding drama to some of the most basic things or tellings stories that just made no sense unless you experienced it.

you truly understand japans wierd side !, animation/anime just makes it so that things go "TF"-ish >_>, but that TF-ish is what makes it soooo gooooood

6 hours ago, Kingdom122 said:

Of course as I watched more anime, I started to see similar stories and shows that feel like like clones of each other there is always something weird or different enough to keep me interested in it.

it cant be helped though, @Kohloo this is pretty much what i meant when i said copy-paste

Edited by XII360
o_o, but also O_O

Hmmm. I'd say anime and manga itself might be a bit too big, as both are a specific style (one could argue media), to say what attracts me to ut - like saying what attracts me to music, or to books. Different anime/manga tell stories differently, but(t) there are certain consistencies across most anime/manga, like there are certain conisistencies withhollywood movies, bollywood, or the entirety of rap (I firmly believe rap is a style, rather a genre).

Lets just compare it to western animation in general:

Western animation, in general and with exceptions (Avatar, Voltron, etc...), lacks deeper story telling/characters while most anime do tell a, sometimes long arching, story as opposed to an episodic one. Why that is, is, I think, plausible if you consider the history of anime and western animation. (Yes, there's slice of life, and I'd argue that anime like Cowboy Bebop, or Case Closed, do have, for most of its run time, something that could be considered episodic story telling but I'm talking about the majority here.) And here comes anime - the fact that it more frequently tells longer, conected stories with deep characters, conflicts, backstories and so on. Also, anime isn't afrait to put a mirror in front of society to raise questions why certain things are the way the are and critisize things, while most, almost all, cartoons predominantly focus on pure entertainment. And then you have the vast amount of different genres that western animation simply doesn't have. In short, variety. But there has been improvements with western animation studios, mostly due to the popularity of anime and a growing adult audience.

So, what attracts me to anime/manga:

I could go into different genres, but that'd be a bit... long... But I can agree with points raised in the other comments. The weirdness of certain anime, sometimes the great action scenes that are only possible with animation (in terms of manga, its the art style and different panel methods), partly the foreign feeling that are due to the fact that it is a style from a different culture (different comedy and themes), how it conveys emotion, the great combination of soundtrack and picture (at least in emotional scenes), and so one...

Both, cartoons and anime, have different goals in mind and they often do the things they're supposed to do well and while there is much variety in anime, there are also a ton -like, alotalotalot- of clones, as comeone previously mentioned, and eventually it comes down to taste, but dismissing either of those two is, I think, a bit harsh. I have yet to find an anime quite like Gravity Falls or Animaniacs, which, if I made a list of my favorite animations series, would most definitely be in my top 10, while can't think of a cartoon with a great story like Monster or rough action like Berserk.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, leinwandname said:

Both, cartoons and anime, have different goals in mind and they often do the things they're supposed to do well and while there is much variety in anime, there are also a ton -like, alotalotalot- of clones, as comeone previously mentioned, and eventually it comes down to taste, but dismissing either of those two is, I think, a bit harsh. I have yet to find an anime quite like Gravity Falls or Animaniacs, which, if I made a list of my favorite animations series, would most definitely be in my top 10, while can't think of a cartoon with a great story like Monster or rough action like Berserk.

I think you hit the nail on the head with this overall comparison especially with this portion. The fact is western animation is taking more from anime then anime ever has from westerners. It is nice to see, but while it is nice to see western animation is progressing that fact only attracts me to anime more then. This is because it feels like to me western animation is only now just catching up to the idea that adults actually want to watch animated content wheres in Japan this has been common kowledge for some time.

With that said there are many western animations from the west that I honestly like. Avatar, and Kora for one. Also SonicSATAM, Mario Bros super show, and many of the 90s Disney cartoons.

Edited by ArchieKun
  • Like 1

I think you hit the nail on the head with this overall comparison especially with this portion. The fact is western animation is taking more from anime then anime ever has from westerners. It is nice to see, but while it is nice to see western animation is progressing that fact only attracts me to anime more then. This is because it feels like to me western animation is only now just catching up to the idea that adults actually want to watch animated content wheres in Japan this has been common kowledge for some time.

I would argue that anime has taken more from western animation than cartoons have taken from anime. Apart from the fact that animation came from the west, look at the early exampels of anime (Benkei Tai ushiwaka from 1939, or even the more popular series Astro Boy) - their animation style was more or less a copy, or at least very heavily inspired, from the western (makes sense, since this was their only reference point at that time) except with japanese folk tales (like Momotaro, Spider and the Tulip) instead of european. These are integrale part of the history of anime and as such influenced later works, including today's anime, even if they seem so much more different. I'd say the 60s were a time when anime found itself an identity apart from its wetsern counterparts, yet it wasn't until the 70s where it manifested and until then, anime was heavily influenced by the cartoons of that time. In the meanwhile, anime started to (significantly) influence western animation some ten years ago (Avatar from 2005 as an example). In terms of

Of course this only concerns animation - the drawing style of anime started to evolve way earlier, and story telling is an entirely different topic... and a bit more complicated as it might seem at first. I mean, the anime type story telling has just started off in the west, while the western episodic style has long been integrated into anime, in regards of this I think western animation has had a stronger impact on anime than vise versa.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, leinwandname said:

I would argue that anime has taken more from western animation than cartoons have taken from anime. Apart from the fact that animation came from the west, look at the early exampels of anime (Benkei Tai ushiwaka from 1939, or even the more popular series Astro Boy) - their animation style was more or less a copy, or at least very heavily inspired, from the western (makes sense, since this was their only reference point at that time) except with japanese folk tales (like Momotaro, Spider and the Tulip) instead of european. These are integrale part of the history of anime and as such influenced later works, including today's anime, even if they seem so much more different. I'd say the 60s were a time when anime found itself an identity apart from its wetsern counterparts, yet it wasn't until the 70s where it manifested and until then, anime was heavily influenced by the cartoons of that time. In the meanwhile, anime started to (significantly) influence western animation some ten years ago (Avatar from 2005 as an example). In terms of

Of course this only concerns animation - the drawing style of anime started to evolve way earlier, and story telling is an entirely different topic... and a bit more complicated as it might seem at first. I mean, the anime type story telling has just started off in the west, while the western episodic style has long been integrated into anime, in regards of this I think western animation has had a stronger impact on anime than vise versa.

Yes yet another very good point, and I realized I forgot to about the earliest anime in the 30s. and 40s as that was very much taken from the west in the dying days of WWII. In fact anime got steam as a way toi give Japanese citizens releif from all the negativity of the world war. I suppose that is only another thing that attracts me to anime, and Japan in general even in the face of all that junk they just took a idea, ran with it. Now its a full bone industry that even has a good number of westerners favoring it over their own stuff.

22 hours ago, XII360 said:

^, (true) but recently, even with the infinite amount's of variety, there has been a sort of "copy pasta" works, where some genre's become somewhat a little to identical on the story of other anime's, but also not copy-paste, (e.g. story scenerio is somewhat same, but different-characters and or namings/terms used)

but i guess this cant be avoided, after all, even with infinite possibilities, its hard enough to remember basic stuff, what more for complicated stuff ?

Oh yeah, I totally get that! It's hard to avoid in anything, really. For someone as myself though, I haven't encountered it too much, because I just haven't seen that many anime! :) 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Kohloo said:

Oh yeah, I totally get that! It's hard to avoid in anything, really. For someone as myself though, I haven't encountered it too much, because I just haven't seen that many anime! :) 

I have found the best way to expand your horizons in anime is just to browse lists, and streaming sites for anime. Often when your just clicking on stuff, and something catches your eye you get serious, and then boom you found a new series. Personally since I have been here on this forum even I have found like 12 new series I am going to be watching. I found out about them, or got the urge to explore them just from reading the various suggestion request topics.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

For me it definitely has to be the artwork and how most characters can be serious or have a very serious moment then some comedy ends up slipping in as well. It's not all one constant emotion in one scene. 

• Like 1

To me nothing is more entertaining than anime. Its just so much fun to get to see a good story unfold. American shows do not have the same appeal. There is a certain flavor to the shows that comics don't have.  I guess also because there is so many good ones, and I would rather be watching anime than be just sitting there trying to figure out what to watch. Plus I love the community, its a great way to meet people that have the same interests as you, and it helps in a way have something at least in common with people that you would not normally even notice.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2018 at 2:31 PM, TastyRaRamen said:

To me nothing is more entertaining than anime. Its just so much fun to get to see a good story unfold. American shows do not have the same appeal. There is a certain flavor to the shows that comics don't have.  I guess also because there is so many good ones, and I would rather be watching anime than be just sitting there trying to figure out what to watch. Plus I love the community, its a great way to meet people that have the same interests as you, and it helps in a way have something at least in common with people that you would not normally even notice.

I Can't disagree here I think you said that very well. Besides all the deeply technical reasons anime simply just has a lot more interesting things to offer. Even the less apealing anime with one true exception that comes to mind is way better then the worst western animation, or even live action show.

Edited by ArchieKun

I like it because it is still possible (tho of course not guaranteed) for there to be relatively little separation between the creator and the consumer.  IOW, less middlemen muddying the waters.  Like with books, you can sometimes get pretty much what the author intended you to get, for better or worse.  Compared to most of what hollyweird produces, which has a committee-and-beancounter filter that makes it hard to get interesting stuff produced, anime can still be cheap enough that occasionally something new and/or awesome gets through.  Not every time to be sure, but enough that it is worth paying attention to.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, efaardvark said:

I like it because it is still possible (tho of course not guaranteed) for there to be relatively little separation between the creator and the consumer.  IOW, less middlemen muddying the waters.  Like with books, you can sometimes get pretty much what the author intended you to get, for better or worse.  Compared to most of what hollyweird produces, which has a committee-and-beancounter filter that makes it hard to get interesting stuff produced, anime can still be cheap enough that occasionally something new and/or awesome gets through.  Not every time to be sure, but enough that it is worth paying attention to.

Hey, that's a really good point actually. Many anime are pretty faithful to their source material, and lots of originals are really great. Can't say the same for a lot of Hollywood. Just compare basically any Superhero movie to it's original comic, and they're completely different. One of the biggest differences in recent(ish) years is probably How to Train Your Dragon. Great movie, but absolutely nowhere even close to the books. It's basically a completely different story, but the main character has a different name. Looking at anime though, and you get all sorts of random stuff getting through, and being really close to their sources. Some stuff like FMA has even had remakes to put them closer to the sources.

Edited by the_twig

11 hours ago, AniMeFReaK said:

One thing: THE ART.

That too.  I've been known to (re)watch some stuff just for the background art.  (Hanasaku for example.. if you haven't tried it in HD, do it. )

• Like 1

12 hours ago, efaardvark said:

That too.  I've been known to (re)watch some stuff just for the background art.  (Hanasaku for example.. if you haven't tried it in HD, do it. )

I have done this as well in particular when I am researching different wallpapers, or just looking for one to use. Art style, and quality is very important in terms of anime for me.