what are your anime unpopular opinions?

thetacogod57

• 7 months later...

I thought this was an unpopular opinion, but reading through here it seems it isn't! 😂 But yeah I didn't like SAO. I think if it was darker and focused on the fact there were trapped (like what happens to their bodies, why did some of them just settle in to their life in the game and not seem to care about never going back to their families etc etc) then it would have got my attention more. Though I have to say it is a good few years since I watched it, and I only watched season 1 so they may have gone more into this I dunno...

I don't like long running shonen shows, such as Naruto, as I find it far to repetitive. 

I dunno how unpopular this opinion is, it may be very popular, but I dislike the sexualisation of school age characters. (Yes I really hated Kill La Kill and gave up after about 4 episodes 😂)

• Like 2

I can't really laugh at all with shonen humor and i really don't see myself enjoying typical shonen stories as of late like Psyren or even FMA because i just found Edward to be pretty bratty and the characters of psyren to be the typical tropey type cast. I can't even see myself laughing at all the lighthearted stuff in most slice of life or shonen anime either and i see that my humor is really drawn more to Hikigaya Hachiman or Tomoko Kuroki type stuff.

In fact as a whole i don't really see myself enjoying shonen as of late basically the only real shonen i can like is the either more darker serious stuff like Death Note Or Black Butler. Darker than black i didn't had a good impression of either probably because i watched season 2 instead of season 1 and i didn't enjoy the cast of the story either.

I 'm going to be basically be more pickier from here on out and look for stuff that i am interseted in reading and not bother looking at stuff i might not be.

Edited by Lonewolf97
rewriting some stuff

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Unpopular Anime Opinions?

Never a big fan of Spirted Away, I mean it's okay but is nothing special compared to other Ghibli Films 
Ergo Proxy and Neon Genesis Evangelion, I find kind of pretentious. Like I understand 110% what the story is about and the meta narrative and art wise they both are really good but I just find them a bit boring and like the writing staff where full of themselves with how deep the show was and nuanced the characters.

spacer.png

(Remember this is not personal Eva fans)

Don't like the Magical Girl genre. I don't care if its Sailor Moon or Madoka Magica don't want to watch it. 
Record of Lodoss War was also kind of disappointing, I didn't like the time jumps and the story felt overly condescended down
Also not a big fan of the Ghost in the Shell film from 1995, I mean Mamoru Oshii films are slow and sometimes they work like in the case of Patlabor 2 but here I felt that the film was overall confused and the plot almost non-existent, like what are they even doing half the time just walking around and maybe hunting for a A.I./hacker and then the whole question of what the difference between organic and synthetic life is brought up and I don't know maybe it's because I grew up in a time period dominate by advances in technology but I don't find the subject that deep or philosophically driving.
Finally never understood the Sub Vs. Dub debate. 

Well that's all I can think off at any rate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not a fan of Studio Ghibli films. (I'd probably get chastised for saying that)

A lot of their movies just bore me, but it's probably the Slice of Life atmosphere. And that atmosphere never clicked with me. Except maybe K-On!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Myrick said:

Not a fan of Studio Ghibli films. (I'd probably get chastised for saying that)

A lot of their movies just bore me, but it's probably the Slice of Life atmosphere. And that atmosphere never clicked with me. Except maybe K-On!

While I don’t particularly dislike Ghibli films, I don’t feel the affection for them that most anime fans seem to. Though in my case I don’t feel that it’s linked to SoL elements (SoL series actually have a pretty decent track record with me).

For me I think it’s more about my general preference for series over movies when it comes to anime. While movies generally have higher production values (quality of animation & soundtrack) the shorter runtime doesn’t allow for as much story & character development. This is particularly a problem for standalone films. And if you don’t care for the central characters, you’re largely out of luck (there’s a surprising number of anime where I actually find a member of the supporting cast more interesting or entertaining than the Mains).  And In cases where the movie is a sequel or side-story to an existing series, sometimes there’s an over reliance on CGI or gimmicks to try to make it stand out. 

Edited by Ohayotaku

5 hours ago, Ohayotaku said:

For me I think it’s more about my general preference for series over movies when it comes to anime.

You know I have a similar opinion. However I don't mind anime films that follow from a series so say Rebellion Dawn of the Deep Star or Heaven Feel as you've already got to know the characters before. 

But standalone films like Akira it hard to really get massively behind it. I like Akira, I think it's great, but the characters don't wow me. 

• 4 months later...

Unpopular opinions?  Hmmm, I've got a few.

Spirited Away is not as great a film as the hype would have you believe.

Even though I'm a fan of Makoto Shinkai's films I think he dropped the ball with Weathering With You.

Movies that try to cram the whole storyline of a 5 hour, or longer, series into about 90 minutes should be banned! (that might not be too unpopular)

Now what is likely to be my most unpopular opinion:

Catgirls are not cute, they are very annoying!

7 hours ago, Animedragon said:

Spirited Away is not as great a film as the hype would have you believe.

I would agree that it isn't -the- greatest.  I wouldn't even say it is the best Miyazaki/Ghibli.  It is very good however. 

What makes it even better still (IMHO) is the fact that it is a great intro piece for anime virgins.  It is the sort of anime that you generally don't have to worry about watching with your non-anime friends when your turn comes to select the movie-night title.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

While Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood may be "Better"....

I hate that some people act like the original should be discarded. The first half of the original series was condensed down into 13 eps in brotherhood and the pacing is off and there are some whole good eps skipped over.

Spoiler

Not to mention much more Hughes, and meeting Barry the Chopper when he's human... And finding out why Yoki was so pissed at Ed (And that was one of my fav eps, and it too got skipped completely.)

Just my opinion!

Edited by Takatofan1986

56 minutes ago, Takatofan1986 said:

While Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood may be "Better"....

I hate that some people act like the original should be discarded. The first half of the original series was condensed down into 13 eps in brotherhood and the pacing is off and there are some whole good eps skipped over.

Reveal hidden contents

Not to mention much more Hughes, and meeting Barry the Chopper when he's human... And finding out why Yoki was so pissed at Ed (And that was one of my fav eps, and it too got skipped completely.)

Just my opinion!

I really want to at some point watch Fullmetal Alchemist's original series. Maybe once I finish Hunter x Hunter that might be my next anime to sit through. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MediaConsumesMe said:

I really want to at some point watch Fullmetal Alchemist's original series. Maybe once I finish Hunter x Hunter that might be my next anime to sit through. 

There are things about it that are different (Even in the first 25 eps) because when it was made, the Manga wasn't finished, but IIRC, in an interview, the manga creator said that while it was very different than what they had in mind, What they came up with was verry interesting to them.

And I LOVE the music of the original series.

• Like 1

Okay, so idk if all of these are unpopular or not but yeah

-The Danganronpa anime(s) were amazing! While I still prefer the games, I think the anime(s) were awesome as well!

-SAO was also a great show, I get why people hate on it but I still think it was really good

-Charlotte had pretty good pacing. A lot of people say it felt quite rushed but I disagree (I also haven't seen it for a while so I could be wrong)

-Indigo Leage was the best Pokémon series, I just love it <3

I can't be bothered to give proper reasoning for any of these :']

Also this is my first ever comment or whatever you call it :D

• 6 months later...
29 minutes ago, Clayton said:

People argue with me whenever I point out that How to Train your Dragon 3 sucked... 

Training dragons is notoriously difficult. 🐉

It's also impossible to get buildings insurance because of the fire risk. 🚒