Help me learn more about the anime community

fallenraven5

Hello,

I'm working on an ethnographic essay about the fandom of animation and manga. This information is purely for research and will remain anonymous. One of the tasks is the interview section and I'd like to ask the community from this forum to help me with this assignment. You only have to answer to which you are comfortable with and I appreciate you for taking the time to read this forum.

Google docs link with questions

Edited by XII360
Doesn't seem to be violating any rules, and safe link, so ill approve this -- xii360

This has some fairly personal information in it, so can we request that you make an actual questionnaire on Google Forms, or something equivalent? It just makes the information more private.

Also, what exactly are you using this for? What do things like friendship groups (other than specifically anime focussed friendship groups) or favourite possessions have to do with anime and manga?

• Agree 2

I foolishly have no fear.

·    What Influence do Anime and manga have on technology/media nowadays? (cell phones, computer, etc.)

It's creeping its way into western culture rather strongly as of late. As for how it exactly affects things, I dunno. General themes in western media perhaps?

·    How would you describe yourself fandom wise?

I recommend a ton of anime, and have for years, it's kinda what keeps me going

·    What’s a brief summary of your daily routine?

Nothing that matters in relation to this questionnaire asides from me sitting down around dinner and any time onwards to watch some anime.

·    what do you usually buy?

Nothing anime related.

·    Describe your friend group along with where and how do you interact with them

They know me as the resident superweeb of the group, but as I'm not weird or obsessive about it, they don't mind in the slightest. We mostly just play videogames or go grab food together, fairly average stuff.

·    What are your favorite possessions? Other favorites like mangas?

My laptop is pretty cool.

·    Does your hobby/passion affect your school and/or work situation and attitudes?

Anime gives me a pretty interesting outlook on film and whatnot.

·Where're some places you go to meet up with people that are into anime?

I don't.

·    What are your top 3 animes?

Senki Zesshou Symphogear

Gurren Lagann

Kill la Kill

·    What are the classics you can’t beat?

But I've beaten the classics.

·    Which do you prefer anime or manga?

Anime

·    What Got You Interested In Anime?

Completely random occurrence whilst looking at Crackle.

·    Which Anime Series Would You Most Recommend?

Senki Zesshou Symphogear. Season 1 is meh, but get to season 2 by any means because it, season 3, and season 4, are friggin awesome.

·    What Was the First Anime You Ever Watched?

Occult Academy

·    What Can Be Found In Anime That You Can't Get from Cartoons?

Nothing, technically. Western animation tends to lean towards episodic comedies more than story-driven plots, but that isn't written in stone. Japanese animation tends to lean towards story-driven plots, but they also have plenty of episodic comedies.

1 hour ago, awesomedude20 said:

I foolishly have no fear.

what's the worse that could happend, i die tomorrow amirite ?, but im diving in this too~

·    What Influence do Anime and manga have on technology/media nowadays? (cell phones, computer, etc.)

id say that its made anime/manga has influenced technology a fair bit, see'ing as we have some mecha/robot stuff being made in japan (cant wait for gundam to be a real thing)

·    How would you describe yourself fandom wise?

i guess...normal ?, im not really a obssessed person on terms of anime, but im also not a "i dont care" person either o_o

·    What’s a brief summary of your daily routine?

i study, i draw, i play games, i sleep

·    what do you usually buy?

anime terms: accessories to use (i.e necklace's)

·    Describe your friend group along with where and how do you interact with them

i guess, a total weeb ?, i dont really have a "group of friends" who watch anime though,

·    What are your favorite possessions? Other favorites like mangas?

i guess, my phone ?, it gives me access to the internet, and play games, and or surf the net

·    Does your hobby/passion affect your school and/or work situation and attitudes?

nope, i 100% make it so that when i study, i only study, and when i have free time to do my hobbies, thats when i do hobbies, (i.e drawing, visual novels, et, al,)

·Where're some places you go to meet up with people that are into anime?

...outside ?, you mean talking to people ?, ha, you wish

·    What are your top 3 animes?

shakugan no shana is my top 1 anime, as for top 2 GTO (great teacher onizuka) and 3...thats yet to be decided, as i've not watched anime in years

·    What are the classics you can’t beat?

great teacher onizuka, you cant beat it, you just cant, change my mind.meme

·    Which do you prefer anime or manga?

i prefer Visual novels, or doujinshi's but since its not listed, anime

·    What Got You Interested In Anime?

SNS was what got me in anime, shana was just too good, and the hype back then was 10/10

·    Which Anime Series Would You Most Recommend?

GTO, watch it, its lewd and indecent, but its funny as hell

·    What Was the First Anime You Ever Watched?

shakugan no shana
·    What Can Be Found In Anime That You Can't Get from Cartoons?

art style, and the way character's move, and also the cuteness parameter, after all

MG cuteness>earth's mass  (that stands for magical girl cuteness greater than earth's mass)

Isnt't there this google forms thing where you can make surveys? i think that might be helpful for these kind of things, and makes data easier to collect. You can give different kinds of ajnswering options, like mutliple choice, long and short texts and boxes, and you'll get some easy to read page with all the answers organized.

• Agree 2

I agree fully with doing this via Google servery. Its just safer that way for everyone involved plus there is lots of ways to gather information about a certain community or fandom. Best to just search stuff about it online, and read the various sites forums etc.

• Agree 1

On 9/10/2018 at 1:20 PM, the_twig said:

This has some fairly personal information in it, so can we request that you make an actual questionnaire on Google Forms, or something equivalent? It just makes the information more private.

Also, what exactly are you using this for? What do things like friendship groups (other than specifically anime focussed friendship groups) or favourite possessions have to do with anime and manga?

An ethnographic essay on subcultures for my composition class. But if I'm going off topic please suggest some questions that would suit better for this research, thank you.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2018 at 12:32 AM, fallenraven5 said:

Hello,

I'm working on an ethnographic essay about the fandom of animation and manga. This information is purely for research and will remain anonymous. One of the tasks is the interview section and I'd like to ask the community from this forum to help me with this assignment. You only have to answer to which you are comfortable with and I appreciate you for taking the time to read this forum.

Google docs link with questions

Not related to topic, Edited it as your request, you cant edit the main topic after days have passed,

If theres anything else wrong dont hesitate to ask, aslong as it does not violate rules, we will help

Thread related, i already answered here, so is it fine if i dont answer it in google ?

2 minutes ago, XII360 said:

Not related to topic, Edited it as your request, you cant edit the main topic after days have passed,

If theres anything else wrong dont hesitate to ask, aslong as it does not violate rules, we will help

Thread related, i already answered here, so is it fine if i dont answer it in google ?

It's fine and also not to violate people's privacy can I hide their answers from this forum? I've already written down the answers and don't want to have more of an audience viewing others information.

Also thank you so much!

• Like 1

I actually forgot about privacy >.< I just thought it`d be easier to collect the data...

Anyway, I did the survey. Just wondering, if you want to answer, you don't have to, why did you chose the anime community? Any specific reasons or did you just have to chose any subculture?

• Agree 1

On 9/12/2018 at 2:57 AM, leinwandname said:

I actually forgot about privacy >.< I just thought it`d be easier to collect the data...

Anyway, I did the survey. Just wondering, if you want to answer, you don't have to, why did you chose the anime community? Any specific reasons or did you just have to chose any subculture?

I chose it because I'm fairly interested in anime. I've been out of touch with it lately and I wanted to know as a fan myself if I'm missing out on certain things. Along with its fairly interesting to learn what reals in interest to begin watching it in the first place.

• Like 1