FTP or direct-USB-transfer ? (type of transfer~)

XII360

transferring-files-to-your-new-computer-

so i was looking for a PDF copy of a book online to read/gather information, for a project i have to do, and then surfed a bit the net, after finding one, decided i would transfer it to my phone for reading purposes, while in school 

but that's just it, while thinking how i would transfer it to my phone, since i downloaded it on my PC, i was wondering "how do i transfer this to my phone...FTP(file transfer protocol/wifi transfer)..or direct usb ?

since im somewhat lazy at plugging a micro USB onto my pc, i tend to transfer anything from my PC to phone via FTP, so i guess in a way, i prefer transfering via FTP,

but what about you guys, do you tend to transfer (be it a song, a picture, a movie, and etc etc,) via FTP, or via USB-media-transfer ?, or does it depend on the size of the file, when picking the way you will transfer/move the said file ? (im basing this on PC-> phone, but it can also be other stuff, aslong as its not a flash drive, as you need to just plug a flash drive to transfer, and cant transfer stuff via FTP in it)

as usual~ let's have some knowledgeable discussion~ 

(i had no idea what image to use for this discussion..so have two monitors and two hands <.>)

• Like 1

I usually email it to myself, or dropbox if I have large files or many to transfer. If cleaning my phone out of pictures I do a USB transfer with a straight up cut and paste. My next phone will have an ungodly amount of memory. Sometimes I clean out the photos and still can't update apps without deleting another app (and I don't have many downloaded apps as it is).  It is getting old. Real old.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Beocat said:

I usually email it to myself, or dropbox if I have large files or many to transfer. If cleaning my phone out of pictures I do a USB transfer with a straight up cut and paste. My next phone will have an ungodly amount of memory. Sometimes I clean out the photos and still can't update apps without deleting another app (and I don't have many downloaded apps as it is).  It is getting old. Real old.

...i know the feeling of having no memory, my phone's memory (posted on spoiler) isnt really having fun, and the only app's i have are those 4 games i always play on mobile (yknow the drill, fgo, feh, etc etc), and im forced to use "ccleaner" just to make temporary free space, just to update my app's,

wish we could remove pre-installed app's, as i use s7active (which is, an AT&T brand), bloatware's are allot, like lot-lot (10gb of pre-installed...10gb, jesus christ man >.>)

next time im buying a phone, im going to look up its maximum internal storage space, aside from its durability ._. 23gb is not alot for a gamer >.> (since app's update, and take up internal storage, rather than external, making external kinda useless, even if i transfer them to external -_-)

Screenshot_20180912-003916.png

• Like 1

FTP, or File transfer protocol is a pretty bandwidth intense way to send stuff to my phone just for a song, or image. If I am honest I just hook up my phone direct, and transfer via usb most of the time. Though some book stores require their secure transmission with drm and all that. Though is is become far less common of an issue. In terms of checking out phones with more storage good to check internal storage, but also to see if it supports expandable storage via micoSD. Even the budget smart phones are now normally offering up to 64GB extra storage with most easily supporting 128GB microSD cards.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ArchieKun said:

In terms of checking out phones with more storage good to check internal storage, but also to see if it supports expandable storage via micoSD. Even the budget smart phones are now normally offering up to 64GB extra storage with most easily supporting 128GB microSD cards.

aside from this, its best to pick one that's durable and last's long, like this new battery from duracell~ "advertises duracell battery"

but joking aside (first part was serious, duracell was a joke >.>), id also check spec-wise of the phones, rather than instantly buying any phone with huge storage in it,

what's the point of having good internal/external memory, if it lags when its not even using those space -_- 

edit: though, all of what i said is negated, if its a throwable phone >.>

that's like love hating someone tho'

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, XII360 said:

aside from this, its best to pick one that's durable and last's long, like this new battery from duracell~ "advertises duracell battery"

but joking aside (first part was serious, duracell was a joke >.>), id also check spec-wise of the phones, rather than instantly buying any phone with huge storage in it,

what's the point of having good internal/external memory, if it lags when its not even using those space -_- 

edit: though, all of what i said is negated, if its a throwable phone >.>

that's like love hating someone tho'

As they say my friend better to have learned late then not at all. Best way if often the hard way. Most of the things I have learned about any tech including phones has been through experance, and reading for information.

Mostly with USB, Music and Pics that its. I don't transfer much from my pc from my phone though...

When it comes to something like PDF that i want to read when I'm going somewhere I use nextcloud and share it with all devices at home. All my stuff for electronics is in the basements and when I download a book on my pc in my room I put it on nextcloud and can see it from my pc in the basement.

• Informative 1

10 hours ago, leinwandname said:

Mostly with USB, Music and Pics that its. I don't transfer much from my pc from my phone though...

When it comes to something like PDF that i want to read when I'm going somewhere I use nextcloud and share it with all devices at home. All my stuff for electronics is in the basements and when I download a book on my pc in my room I put it on nextcloud and can see it from my pc in the basement.

Thats because there is so many music services you can use on the go like YouTube, Pandora, and others plus almost all phone data plans are no cap nnow so it only makes sense usb would not be used for taking music with for most people on the go. Its just easier to use the internet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ArchieKun said:

Thats because there is so many music services you can use on the go like YouTube, Pandora, and others plus almost all phone data plans are no cap nnow so it only makes sense usb would not be used for taking music with for most people on the go. Its just easier to use the internet.

who uses youtube as a music app ? you cant even close your phone if you use it on phone, soundcloud all the way

"ironically uses youtube as music app"

1 hour ago, XII360 said:

who uses youtube as a music app ? you cant even close your phone if you use it on phone, soundcloud all the way

I do!  I have a playlist on it that I listen to on the way to work, bluetoothed into my car so the sound is super good ^_^ 

• Silly 1

3 hours ago, XII360 said:

If you use youtube in your browser on your phone you can. I use Firefox for android, and it works just fee while I am working out. I just search a playlist and there you go hours of good jams.

I mostly do this kind of stuff in a similar fashion to @Wedgy but the thing connected to the network is actually a prebuilt NAS that has clients for various platforms and can be accessed from browsers.

i put things on the NAS and transfer them over, when I need it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, brycec said:

I mostly do this kind of stuff in a similar fashion to @Wedgy but the thing connected to the network is actually a prebuilt NAS that has clients for various platforms and can be accessed from browsers.

i put things on the NAS and transfer them over, when I need it.

Yours is a NASD with a browser accessible UI. What NAS do you have again? I've seen many, but most don't have that good of interfaces from my experience.

26 minutes ago, ArchieKun said:

Yours is a NASD with a browser accessible UI. What NAS do you have again? I've seen many, but most don't have that good of interfaces from my experience.

I have a Western Digital My Cloud PR2100.

Never seen the D suffix before. I need to look up that term to see what it stands for.

1 minute ago, brycec said:

I have a Western Digital My Cloud PR2100.

Never seen the D suffix before. I need to look up that term to see what it stands for.

Ah one of the MyClouds that makes more sense then. I bet that is handy. Those can go over the network to for the entire LAN as well be be shared over select people over the internet if configured that way.

11 minutes ago, ArchieKun said:

Ah one of the MyClouds that makes more sense then. I bet that is handy. Those can go over the network to for the entire LAN as well be be shared over select people over the internet if configured that way.

Yeah, they can. In fact, I gave it a static IP on the LAN, but I have not tried the other features. I think they wanted the other person to have a MyCloud account as well.

Just now, brycec said:

Yeah, they can. In fact, I gave it a static IP on the LAN, but I have not tried the other features. I think they wanted the other person to have a MyCloud account as well.

That will be nice if you have a media server, or something. Even if you want to use that as a small shared home file server.

6 minutes ago, ArchieKun said:

That will be nice if you have a media server, or something. Even if you want to use that as a small shared home file server.

It pretty much is, since I have Plex running on it. I used to just store the content on a NAS and use a different computer to act as a server, but that was giving me troubles because the computer kept dropping the connection to the NAS.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, brycec said:

It pretty much is, since I have Plex running on it. I used to just store the content on a NAS and use a different computer to act as a server, but that was giving me troubles because the computer kept dropping the connection to the NAS.

I like Plex, and a lot of people use plex content on their usb drives in keep on topic with the original idea for this thread. :) I used Plex for a year or so, but found wile it is awesome it just to much for what I do.

I do when I'm home (don't have much mobile data so I use it only when I have wifi). But yes, most of my music is on my phone or on soundcloud. The problem with soundcloud is that it not always has all the music in good quality

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, leinwandname said:

I do when I'm home (don't have much mobile data so I use it only when I have wifi). But yes, most of my music is on my phone or on soundcloud. The problem with soundcloud is that it not always has all the music in good quality

so far, i've yet to encouter bad quality song on soundcloud tho', 

but i did notice, not all music is in there (and i had to upload my own there to listen, since im somewhat lazy on converting the songs myself, i just add it on my own playlist to listen onto,)

9 hours ago, leinwandname said:

The quality may be effected by your connection to their servers as well not just your device. Like with Pandora sometimes when you are on the move sometimes the quality gets lowered based on where you are in proximity to their servers.