thought's on Pirates/piracy ?

XII360

hqdefault.jpg

but yea, what is everyone's thoughts on piracy/pirates ?, (be it song, games, anime, software, etc)

for me, personally, i dont mind piracy, i feel its a need sometimes too, as a "demo" of sorts for people who dont know the brand, or dont have the money to "buy the item" (since not everyone has money to get everything, i know so from experience)

though this may hurt the developer/creator, in my PoV, it also helps them, as the aformentioned pirate, <if he has any soul> liked the product. then he would stop pirating it, after a while, and buy it (assuming its a game, its a one-time deal, aside from DLC's, assuming its software, well it will depend on how much it cost's per month, e.g kaspersky or VPN express stuff, and it may also depend on the pirates budget, some pirates pirate, due to not having the money to get the service, but also want to use them)

and if the said individual, does not have the money to buy the brand, at the very least, the individual can help via advertising it, (by spreading the word of the brand name, assuming he does not give the pirated version away, and tells others to support the developer, which can help the developer/creator in a way)

oh and, i've pirated before (incase it was not obvious), one example is my VN's, i tend to download them first, and see if its good and worth the money 

if it is, then ill think about throwing some money in it, assuming my budget isn't tight (which 90% of the time is, students dont get allot of cash <.>)

TLDR version; i dont mind piracy, it can hurt developers, but it can also be a free advertisement, in a way for them too, pretty much the stuff i bolded is the tldr >.>

but what about you ?!, what are your thoughts on pirates/piracy ?! do you feel disgusted on pirates ?, do you think that the developers/creators lose more than gain, if their brand is pirated ?, have you ever pirated anything ?! lets have a discussion below ~

Piracy is bad and hurts developers. Why buy something when you can get it for free? It devalues the final product and inhibits innovation (by decreasing the reward for the developer). The free advertising aspect is null as most will just share a pirated copy of it. Too much piracy kills industries and keeps developers from having the monetary safety net to innovate.

When I saw the picture, I thought we were going to talk Space Pirates and I got all excited for nothing... ~pouts~  Geez @XII360. Way to crush my hopes 😛

• Agree 1
  • Silly 1

17 minutes ago, Beocat said:

When I saw the picture, I thought we were going to talk Space Pirates and I got all excited for nothing... ~pouts~  Geez @XII360. Way to crush my hopes 😛

its one of my <special skills>, called "click bait", im sorry xD

18 minutes ago, Beocat said:

Too much piracy kills industries and keeps developers from having the monetary safety net to innovate. 😛

this is true though, even with "free advertisement", if "everyone thinks the same and no one buys it, then it wont be advertising anymore, just full-blown piracy, which will, 100%, make the developers/creators go bankrupt

Actually, the EU did a massive investigation into the effects of piracy, and they found that that free advertisement massively offset the lost money, so much so that piracy was found to increase profits in every single sector they researched, with the exception of AAA box office movies. As soon as those movies left the box office, they got the benefits back. Piracy of music was also shown to have little to no effect.

Here's the paper by the way.
https://cdn.netzpolitik.org/wp-upload/2017/09/displacement_study.pdf

As for Space Pirates, it had a a really good first arc, but after that it was pretty mediocre. We still wonder how many people actually know who Marika even is though. Images of her get thrown around all the time when piracy comes up.

• Like 1

According to my own philosophy, pirating is not fair, especially games, since there is so much feeling and work put into some of them, and when someone gets that without keeping their part of the deal, it's so unfair for the developer. The only situation where I think piracy is fine, it's when you're trying to get a copy of something you've had before, but lost, even so, that's not to be abused.

• Like 1

The only anime I've ever streamed through "unlicensed channels" has been OVAs/Specials for series I watched on CR (My Hero Academia, Konosuba & Yuru Camp) I really can't see myself using a pirate service with any regularity (if they're able to rationalize not complying with licensing regulations, how can I reasonably expect them to respect the privacy & security of any information they might gather on me?). Though I can certainly understand the frustration of when, what & where gets licensed.

This is a real hot button issue actually, so it is hard to get a good position.

On one hand, you have many people, like the members of this forum, who do not really see a problem with it, be it for financial reasons or something else.

On the other, you have the creators, publishers/distributors, and even big YouTubers, who do not really understand how things work and think that we must be grateful that for what we get from them, hence the DMCA/copyright take downs, DRM-infested files, region locking, etc. These guys have some point in that it is a luxury, but they come off as just as entitled as the pirates they are trying to fight.

As for my side of things, I like to get things legally, but I just do not care overall about piracy, because the main thing that is driving people to piracy is that the legal channels are not offering anything better, with maybe the exception of Steam. Consumers decide who lives and who dies in both the creative and the corporate fields.

Piracy won't be stopped entirely, as probability of any possible event is never 0 or 100%, but it will be curbed quite a bit if the consumer is given what they want, where that be watching a video anywhere they want, reading an ebook or manga on any device and app they want, or play a game on anything they want without restriction.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I think it really depends on who you are asking in this situation also what you consider to be flat out piriacy. A lot of what most view as piracy is in fact fair use not all mind you, but most is. For example Youtube has fought lets players of games for years. These days they seem to have their copyright system mostly in check, but there are still issues. The big issue is when money comes into play then a creator of course deserves credit. Though if someone is not using the game for gainful purpose then it falls under fair use most of the time.

In the end its a cooperate vs end user battle where there is just to much gray area to truly ever say who is right or wrong. In the case of anime there are so many streaming sites thast are backed by the industry that this is where most anime fans go simply because it is easier to access then some other site, or other means. The easier a company makes it for its users the less likly anything will be pirated it really is that simple.

I've always viewed them as outlaws by boat, today's pirate isn't quite as glamorous or potentially glamorous as a pirate from our imaginations or fairy tales. They're often doing it out of desperation to make a buck to get-by since their home country doesn't provide them with a means to do so or be very good or effective at it. The haul they get if a pirate raid is successful is more than they'll make in their lifetime, which is why so many risks their lives to achieve this. Keep in mind it's an extremely dangerous environment to put yourself in as you might be backstabbed, used as bait, tipped by choppy waters, attacked by a shark, killed by a misfire of a weapon on the boat due to careless handling of deadly weapons. And this is all before the actual attempt at stealing cargo/crew of a cargo vessel, most vessels today have constant contact with Naval Forces from all over the world and are often armed with personal security contractors armed with AR's, Mounted MG's, Radio's to Near-by Naval Vessels with Cannons, Machine Guns, Attack Choppers, Rapid Response Fighter Jets and Automated Flak Throwing Double Barreled Cannons! Not a Risk am willing to take.

It's still up to everyone to decide for himself whether they want to support their respective anime shows by spending money or not. I don't think anyone is willing to pay more money than they can hold on their hands. Although streaming sites such as Crunchyroll, for instance, is a great way to support. (in terms of pricing, it is pretty alright considering the service they offer)

I personally don't have anything against pirating but be aware of the damage it may cause to the content creator.

Edited by Muco
  • Agree 1

Piracy, hmm... Well, I go to pirated sites to watch anime sometimes so I guess I am not one to talk. Got Crunchy-roll now though, so don't think I will have to go back to those sites anymore! :D 

• 2 weeks later...
On September 13, 2018 at 12:14 AM, Armada said:

I've always viewed them as outlaws by boat, today's pirate isn't quite as glamorous or potentially glamorous as a pirate from our imaginations or fairy tales. They're often doing it out of desperation to make a buck to get-by since their home country doesn't provide them with a means to do so or be very good or effective at it. The haul they get if a pirate raid is successful is more than they'll make in their lifetime, which is why so many risks their lives to achieve this. Keep in mind it's an extremely dangerous environment to put yourself in as you might be backstabbed, used as bait, tipped by choppy waters, attacked by a shark, killed by a misfire of a weapon on the boat due to careless handling of deadly weapons. And this is all before the actual attempt at stealing cargo/crew of a cargo vessel, most vessels today have constant contact with Naval Forces from all over the world and are often armed with personal security contractors armed with AR's, Mounted MG's, Radio's to Near-by Naval Vessels with Cannons, Machine Guns, Attack Choppers, Rapid Response Fighter Jets and Automated Flak Throwing Double Barreled Cannons! Not a Risk am willing to take.

image.jpg

• Winner 1

Yeah piracy is pretty much one of those "it depends" topics for me. The overall idea of just getting something without paying for it is kinda dirty and hurts the creators, but as has already been said it can also work as a form of advertising and in the end that usually offsets the lost sales.

But one thing of particular note I think is when something is pirated because it is not available by practical means, such as not being released and made available outside of the country it was made in. If that is the case, I say pirate away. It is the creators' fault (and maybe the government's if there is some sort of restriction in place) for not giving it a global release and denying a potentially large number of consumers access. 

Edited by SanguineTear
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty neutral... I still try and watch stuff on streaming sites when I can but there's plenty of times that they're either not available in my region or they're only available in the form of a retail purchase. If I haven't watched it and I don't know if I'll like it enough that I'll want to buy it, I think it's fair to use a site to watch/download it to try it and then decide if it's worth my money or not. Also, if the anime I'm after in particular is old and out of print AND also not available to stream... well, there's not much I can do about that is there?

Either way, if I end up watching something on a "proper" streaming site or through another source and I really enjoy what I watched, I will usually try and buy it anyway... If I have the money, which I don't always have.

Edited by Guest
Wanted to add something

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm pretty okay with it, as you can see from one of my latest profile posts. We all have financial issues of some kind. Call it "stealing" if you want, but as long as the law can't catch me, I don't give a damn. Sorry, but that's just reality of the world for you. Maybe invent better anti-piracy methods if you want to starve off piracy.

I do understand the sentiment that "piracy hurts developers", however. It's not like I never buy my games, ever. But I only pay money for games I deem worthy of my purchase. Sometimes, even such a commitment only punished me instead of rewarding me. Take for example, Hitman 2. I bought the game - Gold Edition even, so it cost extra - but the game lagged like hell, and I couldn't refund it because by the time I discovered the levels that do "lag", which is like the 2nd or 3rd level, I've already clocked in more than two hours, meaning that I couldn't refund the thing and I'm stuck with a piece of shit that's unplayable. But I digress.

The point I really want to make is that, I do give good money to good developers that truly deserve my hard-earned cash. Piracy helps to give that "free trial" so that you could test it out and see if you want to support the developer or not (I didn't get the chance to do so with Hitman 2 and got punished for it). Many piracy websites and even the pirated game itself have messages to encourage players to buy the game if they like it.

I don't have a problem with it per say. Want to watch it? That's fine with me. To be quite honest I have done it a time or two when I am unsure if a series or movie or even a song is worth my money or not. However what I do have a problem with are those who decide to copy the product and try to sell it for some quick cash. I don't care how poor someone is, you don't go making money off someone else's work. I have friends who are programmers, etc. and yes it does hurt them. A lot of people don't seem to understand that it's not just the developers who are affected by this but also the small guys (meaning those who package and box up said products for shipment and those that deliver the product) and it also causes products to go up.

If I really want another anime and can't afford paying $50 - $60 then I usually check out the local pawn stores. I'm unsure of other pawn stores in other states but the ones where I live check for pirated movies/series/albums so I know when I go to buy one, it's the real deal.

Like I said, I'm not entirely against it; it just depends on what you're doing.