Reccomendations

Streamstar

@Beocat I am mainly looking for anything really but mainly for ones with interesting concepts, plots, and characters. I mean like heck, if some ecchi animefits those characteristics, then I would watch it. I am getting into drama and not really the type of drama derived from harems, hence why I loved “Darling in the FranXX” and Danganronpa. I am not the biggest fan on comedy animes but am willing to push that boundary as well. I also tend to like adventure animes such as “Is it wrong to try to pick up girls in a dungeon”. That is just a general description. And I am willing to push boundaries and explore new genres and animes that I have never seen or heard of before.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Streamstar said:

Heyo, I am new here and I am looking for some recommendations of anime (preferably less ecchi) with fantastic concepts and characters.

Here's some that meet that criteria IMO

A Place Further than the Universe (CrunchyRoll)

Figure 17 (Tubitv)

Scrapped Princess (CrunchyRoll)

Land of the Lustrous (Amazon/HiDive)

Princess Tutu (Hulu/HiDive)

Kobato (HiDive)

Like Beocat said, if you can give us more information on your preferences and previous experience with anime people can give you more targeted suggestions

A short list would be great (with good and bad opinions). Your criteria is just a bit vague. I mean, a great plot or concept and fantastic characters means different things to different folks. My best friend and I have very different opinions of what makes a good concept or character. So a bit more detail will definitely help. 

Animes I like:

Danganronpa (Favorite):

This anime has an interesting and unique plot that I have never heard of before and the characters of course would be extremely in depth because they are the best at what they do

DanMachi: 

This makes me think if the Percy Jackson movies were actually good.   I love the concept of it (classes for certain gods) The action is enjoyable and the characters were not bad either though the main character was a touch cliche

Doreiku:

This was an amazing psychological anime that explored how power can corrupt. It was explored really well through the characters who resembled more realistic characters which is why I assumed it was good.

Darling in the FranXX (Second favorite):

I don’t care what anyone says about this anime, it was amazing! The characters matched the plot and the drama so well (it made me cry). This concept of having kids not being taught about emotions and love, and then seeing them develop absolutely fascinated me. And the ending, though a touch questionable, had really beautiful symbolism which was really enjoyable, yet sad.

Animes I didn’t like:

Infinite Stratos:

Literally worst (in my opinion) main character ever. He was so dense to everything yet still didn’t manage to make me laugh (since I assume it was comedy). All the other characters, though diverse, never added anything to the plot.

Corpse party (least favorite):

Butchered the game plot and made an ecchi out of a horror.

Rosario Vampire:

Too ecchi while managing to be more appropriate than a lot of Ecchi animes that I have seen. No plot. Horrible characters (contributed nothing)

• Like 1

I think I have a few for you. I had to think about it for a few minutes.

Plastic Memories: This is a real good one in terms of depth to the characters, and story.

No Game No Life: Very dark with a lot of depth as well, but has a little but of light humor that really sets it apart. Its a new look on a old twist.

Mirai Nikki: This is a bit of a darker one with a good amount of depth. I found myself quickly attaching myself to several characters. Its similar to No Game No Life, but far darker with in my opinion more development for each individual character.

Orphan: This is one not a lot of people know of, or seem to have forgotten. Its a unique twist to a fantasy story to be sure with a bit of a darker deep story. It dose have those moments where your just laughing though.

Those are a few I could think of that fall within the parameters you presented. Hope this helps, and enjoy.

• Like 1

I have a few for ya ;)

ef: a tale of memories. (Absolutely amazing drama romance. Has some of the best writing I've seen, and the symbolism goes all the way down to the art direction because it's what Studio SHAFT is good at. Ignore its second season, ef: a tale of melodies. It was entirely optional, and really just kinda meh.)

Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash (It's like if Danmachi wasn't crap. Don't get me started on that one, Danmachi is my least favourite anime lol. But Grimgar delivers all around, with a realistic fantasy world with a heavy focus on teamwork to survive rather than just relying on the OP main character.)

The Beheading Cycle (Also known as Kubikiri Cycle, or Zaregoto. A brilliant mystery anime, has never been topped for me in the genre. And it did it in only 8 episodes, because that's all it needed. The best part is, you can absolutely figure out the mystery far earlier than the characters do. But I assure you, you won't.)

If you would like more, do tell, I have plenty to go through, and if you have any questions about the ones listed, ask away :P

• Like 2

Ooh, drama recommendations.

First off, we’re seconding Princess Tutu. Don’t be put off by the girly name and simplistic first few episodes, it’s one of the best fantasy series we’ve ever seen, and it gets somewhat dark at points too. It’s our absolute favourite anime.

Next up, Planetes. This one is set in the near future, where there are civilians living full time in orbital space stations. What most people don’t realise about orbit though, is how much junk is up there just floating around. If it hits a space station at a high relative velocity, it doesn’t matter what it is, it’s doing some serious damage. The anime follows some trash collectors, who have to find and stop random junk from crashing into their station. They went absolutely to town on getting the physics and movements of zero G right, so if you like space, you’re in for a treat.

Orange is about a girl who gets a letter from herself, 10 years in the future, telling her to save the boy she has a crush on, because he is about to die. 

• Like 2

I think the series I recommended in my earlier post are all worth considering. A couple more to add are Card Captor Sakura, Little Witch Academia & R.O.D. tv series And since you mentioned liking Is it Wrong to Pick up Girls in a Dungeon, there is a side series called Sword Oratorio.

You also mentioned wanting to explore different genres, so I'll list some of my favorites from different ones:

Action/Adventure: Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, My Hero Academia, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Ushio & Tora

Fantasy: Magic Knight Rayearth

Science Fiction: Planet With, Space Battleship Yamato (Star Blazers) 2199 & 2202, Steins Gate, Noein

Mystery: Beautiful Bones

Supernatural: Mushishi

Horror: Shiki, Higurashi (When they Cry)

Psychological: Paranoia Agent, Monster (if you can find it anywhere)

RomCom: Recovery of an MMO Junkie, ReLife

Comedy/Slice of Life: Azumanga Daioh, Yuru Camp, Louie the Rune Soldier, Konosuba

Weird/Surreal: FLCL, Penguin Drum, Flip Flappers

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 2

Knights of Sidonia, Moribito, Ah! My Goddess, Puella Madoka Magica.

If you are interested in Space Operas, PM me and we'll chat. I find most all SOs interesting so I am only tossing Sidonia up there because it is easy to find and has quite the good plot and cast. 

Moribito has a masterful story in my opinion. Ah My Goddess has characters you cannot help but love, and Madoka has unique art, good characters, and a good concept. Sidonia has a great concept and always gave me a Galactica-esque feel.  Ecchi is nonexistent in the shows I suggested (Sidonia has harem elements but isn't ecchi).

• Like 2