Could someone help me figure out the name of this show?

noamineo

Hi all,

This is a very odd request but I've had no luck so far. A very long time ago(early 2000s), a freind showed me a few episodes of an anime(or maybe it was a movie?). One detail has stuck with me ever since: it included a scene featuring an absolutely enormous mecha with a volcano built into it(presumably as it's power source?). The image has been vexing me ever since; unfortunately I've been out of touch with the friend for many years. Just from what I can recal of the animation style, it probably was not contemporary to the time period, so early 90s/late 80s possibly.

Does this sound remotely familiar to anyone?

Thanks in advance,

Noa

I well I did not have to much info tto really go on, but I search google with your criteria. I found this series which sounds interesting honestly.

Would Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann be at all what your looking for.

Do a basic image search the art style doesn't seem right, and looking over a plot synopsis, I don't see anything about a volcano powered mecha. I don't recall if it was on legs or treads, but otherwise the scene is very clear in my memory. The bad guys had unveiled this weapon, and it was an absolutely enormous mecha carrying a volcano. The mech was mostly an enormous platform, but the erupting volcano appeared to be it's power source. 

2 minutes ago, noamineo said:

Do a basic image search the art style doesn't seem right, and looking over a plot synopsis, I don't see anything about a volcano powered mecha. I don't recall if it was on legs or treads, but otherwise the scene is very clear in my memory. The bad guys had unveiled this weapon, and it was an absolutely enormous mecha carrying a volcano. The mech was mostly an enormous platform, but the erupting volcano appeared to be it's power source. 

Oh sorry about that still sounds like a good series though both of them honestly. In terms of the anime you are looking for is there possibly any more information that could help us narrow the scope.

The art style was very reminiscent of Speed Racer, at least as far as the era was concerned. It was either in raw Japanese or fan-subbed at the time(this was still in the mostly VHS-era, would have been 2002/2003 that I saw it but it looked old.

I may be confusing this part with another anime we watched that day, but I believe a plot-point involved salvaging ancient mecha from a precursor civilization. If I remember correctly, the people were at a roughly 1940s-level of technology, but we able to salvage and repair mecha from a more advanced era. I know that plot shows up in many different anime. I want to say most were roughly gundam-sized, then one side managed to get a skyscraper sized one working, then the other side trotted out the volcano tank.

I'm sorry I'm not able to remember more details, and thank you kindly for trying to help! This image has been haunting me for a very long while.

Your mention of advanced technology from an ancient civilization made me think of the Mycenae Empire from Mazinger Z (Tranzor Z in the Americanized version), and there was an enemy robot with a volcano on it's back

latest?cb=20140730120304

there's a written description of the robot here http://mazinger.wikia.com/wiki/Gasrose

Hopefully this is what you're thinking of.

Edited by Ohiotaku