To Fan Service Or Not To Fan Service?

EnviousEnvy

I don't inherently hate fanservice, but it can easily be a massive pain in the ass too.

If a show is pure fanservice, and that's the point of the show, with it never trying too hard to be anything that it isn't, then that's completely fine.

Ex. Okusama ga Seitokaichou

If a show tries to have a serious plot, but shoehorns in fanservice every 5 seconds where there should absolutely not be fanservice, it gets annoying and incredibly distracting, taking away from the show as a whole rather drastically.

Ex. Heavy Object

Lastly, a show with a genuine plot that has fanservice, but uses it in a way that never conflicts with the show's main purpose and as such, never slows down or distracts the viewer from anything important. These are the best ones imo.

Ex. Katanagatari

I would say Fan service has its place, and is largely there for a reason. Though like shift mentioned if the anime is saturated with to much then it tends to ruin the experience of the series. A good example of a series with to much fan service I can think of is bloodlad. Has a good concept though the overwhelming fan service is pretty distracting honestly.

Honestly I think I'm the only one who actually likes it, lol. Why? To tell you the truth I'm not quite sure. Panty shots, bouncing bazookas and even some nudity doesn't bother me at all. However put on hentai and I'm instantly turned off by it, lol. 

A few series that I can think of at the moment that contains quite a bit of fan service would be:

High School Of The Dead

Akiba's Trip

Tenjo Tenge

Seikirai

Vampire + Rosario 

I know there are a lot out there but those are the ones I can name off the top of my head (excuse me, it's currently passed 2AM and I'm dead tired).

I say fanservice depends on the genre and the overall writing approach for the anime itself, if its serious anime like gosick or kanon two of my favourite anime, the fanservice is so natural that you dont realize its fanservice which is so amazing and then there is anime like fate kalied prisma illya that just start off amazing and go to aweful with just making nothing but fanservice. 

Fanservice in general though is why we love anime in my opinion its the opportunity for creativity to be proposed with characters that attract our interest and how we as the viewer how we desire what we want out of those characters as the anime goes on versus to the anime creators to satisfy that service blindly i guess is a best word to use. Unless the material is familar and has a solid history like the fate series etc, its unnecessary to ruin a great anime story to substitute as a excuse for writer's block lol. 

Speaking of the fate series, there is a fate series that i have found to be rarely heard of it that is completely dedicated to being a parody fanservice of the entire fate series universe called carnival phantasm that is just amazing lol.

If the show has fanservice as an integral part of it, then I don't mind - you know what yore getting into and either watch it or don't. I probably wouldn't anymore. HotD (the Matrix boobs are the invention of the century!!), Akiba's Trib, Highschool DxD are examples of that.

If the fanservice is completely out of place e.g. in a serious conversation or an action scene where things are at stake and the show usually doesn't use fan service to a great extend, then it's just annoying...  Hai to Gensou no Grimgar did this and it was just annoying - a good way to spoil a otherwise great show.

Then there are shows that use fanservice to show relationships between characters, characters building and sometimes for actual plot purposes which I'm fine with too. Monogatari does this pretty well.

Fanservice is usually eye-rolling. The same blunders (trips and falls on top of girl grabbing boob to push off by accident for example) are used constantly and most do no character development. I see it often becoming a source of hostility between characters (especially in harems where blunders are always mistaken for intentional preference of a girl) and most diminish a shows ability to carry a story well. It has a place in some shows. It does not in others. 

Fanservice never really bothers me, but I can perfectly understand the sentiment of it being out of place in certain circumstances.  At worst, I find it awkward or a bit unsettling at times.  Honestly though, as strange as this may sound, the only times I ever really felt this way was in High School DxD.  There's two things that are awkward to me.  First of all, I don't know why, but I've always found the outtro with all the girls poledancing to be a bit creepy.  Honestly.  It just seems so... out there.  I dunno.  Maybe it's because it just doesn't make sense.  I mean, the girls aren't strippers; you would never see them doing that (I don't think).  The other thing is how in the fights the girls always get their clothes ripped apart, but the men (few as there are) seem to have their clothes unscathed.  In this case it's really just the inconsistency of it that bothers me.  If the girls are getting their clothes torn up in battle, it should be happening to the guys too.

6 hours ago, awesomedude20 said:

26c.png

Holy crap that is hilarious.  What is that even from?

Edited by Steerminator

I believe it's really not necessary, as said above by others, it doesn't add much if anything at all to characters and to the story (unless the story is based on sex jokes).
It is irritating because at this point I cannot watch anime in front of my parents peacefully, if I have doubts that it might include fan service. When it's supposed to be a story with a reasonably good meaning and it slaps you in the face with something like it, I want to pull my hair. How it should be:
-Anime supposed to be serious -> no fan service
-Joke anime supposed to be for 'anyone' -> all the fan service you want

To add more, the fan service should not be included in the main anime in the first place, in my opinion. It should be left as an extra episode or something like that.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Roxeg said:

I believe it's really not necessary, as said above by others, it doesn't add much if anything at all to characters and to the story (unless the story is based on sex jokes).
It is irritating because at this point I cannot watch anime in front of my parents peacefully, if I have doubts that it might include fan service. When it's supposed to be a story with a reasonably good meaning and it slaps you in the face with something like it, I want to pull my hair. How it should be:
-Anime supposed to be serious -> no fan service
-Joke anime supposed to be for 'anyone' -> all the fan service you want

To add more, the fan service should not be included in the main anime in the first place, in my opinion. It should be left as an extra episode or something like that.

Thats so true though I wouldn't say it has to be completely serious 100% of the time. Even a serious deep story needs a break to give the viewer a little surprise now, and again. On the whole I do agree with you for the most part.

This is probably just because I'm a gay male. But I'm sick of sitting down to watch what I expect to be a good anime and then having characters in sexual positions or breasts bouncing around everywhere. I mean, that's not all Heterosexual relationships are about and why do they have to portray them as such? How would the general anime viewer feel of they sat down to watch a Anime and then dicks started flying around and Guys falling over each other? They'd feel forced Into seeing it. Same as I do with most anime. 

Why can't we just have good stories without all the stupid fan service. Ugh.

• Like 1
  • Optimistic 1

20 hours ago, IntoMyWorld said:

This is probably just because I'm a gay male. But I'm sick of sitting down to watch what I expect to be a good anime and then having characters in sexual positions or breasts bouncing around everywhere. I mean, that's not all Heterosexual relationships are about and why do they have to portray them as such? How would the general anime viewer feel of they sat down to watch a Anime and then dicks started flying around and Guys falling over each other? They'd feel forced Into seeing it. Same as I do with most anime. 

Why can't we just have good stories without all the stupid fan service. Ugh.

Well if you want male fan service (as in, fan service depicting males) try Cute High Earth Defence Club.

If the Anime is supposed to have it, fine, keep it there. But there needs to be a healthy balance between service for both genders and sexual orientations. I agree with you, as a gay male myself, I cant' tell you how turned off of an Anime I get with all the breasts bouncing and disgustingly wiggling about and the high pitched girly screams and male abuse. I cant' stand it, it makes me so angry. So overall, yes, my opinion is, if the Anime is meant to be a fan service Anime, fine, no big deal. But make it more broad. And if it's main focus is not fan service, do not put it in it. It distracts from the story and can alienate a lot of viewers.