The Minecraft Topic

Geano

Gosh, I haven't played Minecraft in a long time. I can't remember where I fell off, but I still have a lot of respect for the game for the massive influence it ended up having and for just being a game that I used to REALLY enjoy. You could just get lost in your own world, being creative or surviving. It was nice if you just wanted to relax as well - just put it on peaceful, make some tea and live in your blocky world for a while.

I remember when it ended up coming to the Xbox 360 I played it with a friend who didn't have a PC and I have a lot of fond memories there. We made a house underwater, and I ended up creating a railway going from our house, which was on the corner of the map to the opposite corner where we started to make a small little town in some mountains. I also remember on the PC with some other friends, starting a superflat world and creating a castle. It took ages and we never got it completely finished. We got the castle itself done, but never got around to doing the interior of it except for the floors.

The fact that the game is still being talked about and has a strong community after all these years is a strong testament to the legacy it's built. It gets a lot of crap now because of how popular it is but it made waves in the gaming world.

3 hours ago, Beocat said:

I ended up making a copy of the save and opening the copy in creative mode to see if I could fly around to find one.  Found lots of isolated villages but no jungles.  Been working on creating my giant map on the wall.  Got one more map to fill out to finish it.

The map generation algo has been reverse-engineered.  If you know the world seed you can plug it in to someplace like chunkbase and go "exploring" that way.  Once you know where to go it is just a matter of getting there in-game.  I don't usually do that myself because I like the process of exploring in-game, but it is an option if you get really stuck.  Sometimes I'll do it if I've been exploring for a long time and still can't find what I'm looking for.

I often don't do the map thing either, since that requires redstone and deep mining seems too much like grinding for my tastes.  (I know, It is called "minecraft".  What can I say?)  Usually I just craft up a bunch of torches as soon as I get a stack of charcoal and go blaze a trail.  I'm a master of the 3x3 mud hut build.  :) 

The only other way I know of to get redstone is from witch drops, and I'll make a map if I happen to get some redstone that way, but witches are rare and usually more trouble than they're worth to hunt until I can get a decently enchanted bow.  By then I've usually already explored quite a bit and don't really need the map. 

I have to admit that a nice big map of the area around the world spawn point does look good on the wall back at home base though.  :)

3 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

The fact that the game is still being talked about and has a strong community after all these years is a strong testament to the legacy it's built. It gets a lot of crap now because of how popular it is but it made waves in the gaming world.

For its time it was awesome, and Notch was one of my most favorite people for a long time.  There's so much more to the game than first meets the eye.  Yeah, there's games that look better visually.  There's so much depth and multi-dimensional play-ability, especially in the multiplayer aspect, to MC however.  It doesn't matter what age or gamer level distribution you have in your group, there's something for everyone.  Kids can play with their parents in creative mode.  Even in survival, people that don't like fighting mobs can craft and build away to their hearts' content in areas cleared and made safe and supplied by people who don't mind that sort of thing.  For the hard-core gamers.. well, there's a mode for those people too.  There's so many different ways to play with MC that pretty much everyone is bound to find some play style that suits them.

I'm less thrilled that MSFT now owns the franchise, and I think that's where at least some of the animosity comes from.  So far they haven't broken the main game though, or tried their typical embrace-extend-extinguish tactics.  Even now 1.13 still works perfectly well on my linux system - albeit still requiring Sun/Oracle's ancient java 8 - and there's a thriving market for 3rd-party servers.  With Bedrock they've covered most of the console and mobile userbase, even including cross-platform playability.  (Though I do wish that they would somehow enable cross-play between PCs and console/mobile.)  Realms is a super easy way to allow people to play together online, even for novice computer users.  The updates have even enhanced the game.  That's good enough for me. 

I don't need photo-realistic rendering to have fun.  In fact, about the only big technical feature request that I'd have them add would be a good in-game voice-chat system that actually rendered the sound according to the environment along with the visuals.  I've tried out mc in a VR setup and I think having that feature in a VR minecraft would take things to the next level.  Again.

Edited by efaardvark

On 9/30/2018 at 10:23 AM, Roxeg said:

Hehehe

At some point I used to have a pink sheep skin. It was fun.

You can never have to many sheep especially since wool takes some time to grow back after its sheered off.

• Agree 1

On 10/6/2018 at 5:38 AM, ArchieKun said:

You can never have to many sheep especially since wool takes some time to grow back after its sheered off.

Find a plains biome and just wander around shearing everything in sight.  I did that just recently and wound up with about 5 stacks* of wool in various colors in only an hour or so of play.  Used up one set of shears completely.  Especially with large biomes you can do a circuit.  Just find out where the groups of sheep are and visit them one after the other, starting back at the beginning when you're done.  By then the first sheep you sheared will have regrown their wool and you can keep going until you have as much wool as you need.  I've become the master of the drive-by shear.  :) 

*No sheep were harmed in the making of said stacks.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

5 hours ago, efaardvark said:

Find a plains biome and just wander around shearing everything in sight.  I did that just recently and wound up with about 5 stacks* of wool in various colors in only an hour or so of play.  Used up one set of shears completely.  Especially with large biomes you can do a circuit.  Just find out where the groups of sheep are and visit them one after the other, starting back at the beginning when you're done.  By then the first sheep you sheared will have regrown their wool and you can keep going until you have as much wool as you need.  I've become the master of the drive-by shear.  :) 

*No sheep were harmed in the making of said stacks.

Thats good because we all love our little lams don't we. ^^

So this more for everyone. I of course have been playing MC for a good while, but mostly in creative mode. I have now however been doing more survival mode type things. I know the basics like crafting pretty much anything, and cave as well as other biome exploration, but dose anyone have any good tips for me to really improve. I am good with monster hunting, and combat too.

4 hours ago, ArchieKun said:

any good tips

I like exploring the overworld so I like having a bunch of tamed wolves with me.  They'll attack skeletons on their own, and any mob (except creepers) that attacks you.  Really handy early on when you have wimpy armor and weapons.  Also good any time when you're low on health.. you can just hit a mob and then back off and your wolves will take care of the rest for you.  They need meat to restore their health, but will happily accept zombie flesh so pretty easy to take care of.

Beyond that you might want to watch this guy's mc survival-mode let's play episodes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yQqNCOYfJo&list=PLbFBnggbJ1rnaXljgzhGm0p_Co9kwfs3t

Pretty fast-paced, based on vanilla 1.13, and full of little tips & tricks.

Edited by efaardvark

Ok this is my world so far. My wifu, and I are playing it together. Now I will admit to cheating slightly with the command line, bbut I have remained in survival almost tthe entire time.

So what do you guys suggest next. I have a few ideas myself, but would like your input.

2018-10-08_22_21_04.thumb.png.240de84ed6f8a99f2f8f56c1b9bc42df.png2018-10-08_22_21_04.thumb.png.240de84ed6f8a99f2f8f56c1b9bc42df.png

2018-10-08_22_21_22.thumb.png.6f734acb5961828236870d68dceb6261.png

2018-10-08_22_21_45.thumb.png.dfcb08d88bf0ba57da163bf432c92a36.png

2018-10-08_22_22_05.thumb.png.dfed46bb144ab7caf4992c1e7790c640.png

2018-10-08_22_22_35.thumb.png.1c2521a8f9ba98d53517d7597fec0120.png

@ArchieKun  Well...if it were me...  I'd make a bigger farm...  and I'd make sure that my ranch fencing was at least two blocks from any higher terrain (keeps other mobs from being able to walk or fall in with your herd...which can be problematic to get rid of without harming your herds...or they might eat your herd in the case of wolves and sheep).  A friend of mine would have decided that was good enough for a start and begun building a mansion lol...  It all depends on what you want to do. 

I usually explore the map for about a week in game before picking my prime spot to settle down, then I build a fairly reasonable house...put down some seeds and farm enough to keep me alive and start up a mine.  My usual goal is to get to the Nether as quickly as possible (this will require diamonds, obsidian, lots of time mining).  The Nether is quite dangerous, but it is the only place to get netherrack and glowstones (unless you have a village priest for trading).  I haven't shared any of my pictures because they are home on my PS4 right now.  I also tend to focus on village repairs (villagers suck at building roads lol) and upgrading my villages.  I almost always add in a central market for every village I fix.  One village I fixed, I built a giant statue of a cat, meant to be their Cat God.  And like a true cat...I faced it away from the village so the temple was looking directly at it's butt.....  LOL....that part was unintentional but I thought it was hilariously true at the time.  Eyes of packed emerald blocks, build from quartz....  On another, where I connected several village areas, I built a temple to the Creepers up in the mountain...complete with a creeper statue and stained glass windows....had holes blasted into the floor and walls to make it appear that they may have actually summoned one or two....created a ruined village just outside on the mountainside...  On another, I build a really nice sailing ship, filled it with cargo, a port and a working lighthouse...a bridge connected the port to the local town and I had planned on making flying saucers in the skies above the desert town...attacking off course....  never got around to that part though.

Literally, your imagination is your only limitation!  Talk about things between the two of you (though maybe start small...like a treehouse spanning several tall oaks...  You don't want to take on a task too large that'll burn you out when you are still learning the game) and pick something you'd both like to have.  Just keep in mind big projects require stacks and stacks of resources you might have to grind out in a mine...

• Winner 1

13 hours ago, Beocat said:

@ArchieKun  Well...if it were me...  I'd make a bigger farm...  and I'd make sure that my ranch fencing was at least two blocks from any higher terrain (keeps other mobs from being able to walk or fall in with your herd...which can be problematic to get rid of without harming your herds...or they might eat your herd in the case of wolves and sheep).  A friend of mine would have decided that was good enough for a start and begun building a mansion lol...  It all depends on what you want to do. 

I usually explore the map for about a week in game before picking my prime spot to settle down, then I build a fairly reasonable house...put down some seeds and farm enough to keep me alive and start up a mine.  My usual goal is to get to the Nether as quickly as possible (this will require diamonds, obsidian, lots of time mining).  The Nether is quite dangerous, but it is the only place to get netherrack and glowstones (unless you have a village priest for trading).  I haven't shared any of my pictures because they are home on my PS4 right now.  I also tend to focus on village repairs (villagers suck at building roads lol) and upgrading my villages.  I almost always add in a central market for every village I fix.  One village I fixed, I built a giant statue of a cat, meant to be their Cat God.  And like a true cat...I faced it away from the village so the temple was looking directly at it's butt.....  LOL....that part was unintentional but I thought it was hilariously true at the time.  Eyes of packed emerald blocks, build from quartz....  On another, where I connected several village areas, I built a temple to the Creepers up in the mountain...complete with a creeper statue and stained glass windows....had holes blasted into the floor and walls to make it appear that they may have actually summoned one or two....created a ruined village just outside on the mountainside...  On another, I build a really nice sailing ship, filled it with cargo, a port and a working lighthouse...a bridge connected the port to the local town and I had planned on making flying saucers in the skies above the desert town...attacking off course....  never got around to that part though.

Literally, your imagination is your only limitation!  Talk about things between the two of you (though maybe start small...like a treehouse spanning several tall oaks...  You don't want to take on a task too large that'll burn you out when you are still learning the game) and pick something you'd both like to have.  Just keep in mind big projects require stacks and stacks of resources you might have to grind out in a mine...

Great ideas I will have to start putting them to work. I recently learned how to do a red stone auto farm the other day with pistons, and observers which is incredibly simple from what I saw, and I can easily build this on a larger scale though ZI may need to pop into creative mode for that. Thats one thing I love about MC there is practically no limit even more when you mod the game. I love modding games in general, but this one has next to endless mods available for it.

1 hour ago, efaardvark said:

Getting into the Halloween spirit a bit early with this pic....

IMG_3813.thumb.JPG.b9eff1710fb52ab97d45a39b04160807.JPG

Too bad you can't tame bats & have them hang out in/around your constructions.

That would be pretty epic if you could tame bats as then you could use them as a sort of carrier pidgins type mob. You could transport so much supplies, and items with that.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, efaardvark said:

THERE'S A POLAR BEAR IN MY BOAT!

2018-10-14_21_50_24.thumb.png.f01f8206a8f8c4763dc3a4cc0ec6dfa7.png

Oh my gosh how in the world did that happen. Pun is definitely intended. I have not seen polar bears in a while apart from spawning them myself. I don't normally go to colder biomes.

10 hours ago, ArchieKun said:

I don't normally go to colder biomes. 

I don't either usually.  In this case I'm mining snow for snowballs.  Blazes are (relatively) easy to kill with snowballs.  I want to try making a snowman in the nether too, though I'm sure it won't last too long.  Maybe I should try a splash potion of fire resistance on it?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, efaardvark said:

I don't either usually.  In this case I'm mining snow for snowballs.  Blazes are (relatively) easy to kill with snowballs.  I want to try making a snowman in the nether too, though I'm sure it won't last too long.  Maybe I should try a splash potion of fire resistance on it?

Well I don't think the fire resistance potion of either verity would really help snow blocks. The nether is just generally a nasty place to do business, but yett we must go there for certain drops.  You could just enclose a blaze spawner off, and turn it into a blaze farm since they only spawn over there.

On 10/21/2018 at 6:42 PM, efaardvark said:

Wait.. what?  :D 

Minecraft and Kerbal Space Program.. two of my favorite games!

Now this is perfect. Strangely inspiring, and also hilarious if I do say so.

17 minutes ago, efaardvark said:

There is a cow in my bed...

2018-10-27_20_31_41.thumb.png.72af2fdf6cca43a352e2b701a409ba30.png

Better than a villager...I put iron doors on my homes sometimes to keep them out. Inconvenient but necessary. Me thinks you will be having steaks tonight ;)

• Like 2

I don't get much time to play Minecraft these days, but I did start back when it was in the Alpha release. It's come a long way since then. I am playing on my PS4 these days and I have a world where I have explored like a third of the map just in random spurts. I'm putting together a mine cart system that took hours just to connect all my mine entrances and towers and the one house I've built so far.

I also play in a group world with friends from my college where we're trying to build a city that spans like 90% of the whole map and using Japanese architecture to do so. I'm not the planner, but she gave me an island I found that I'm trying to turn into like a super resort. The main feature is a trio of water falls. Two of which I used to turn into a pool. I love building stuff in Minecraft so I really haven't played much outside of creative and peaceful modes.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KeilynLocke said:

I don't get much time to play Minecraft these days, but I did start back when it was in the Alpha release. It's come a long way since then. I am playing on my PS4 these days and I have a world where I have explored like a third of the map just in random spurts. I'm putting together a mine cart system that took hours just to connect all my mine entrances and towers and the one house I've built so far.

I also play in a group world with friends from my college where we're trying to build a city that spans like 90% of the whole map and using Japanese architecture to do so. I'm not the planner, but she gave me an island I found that I'm trying to turn into like a super resort. The main feature is a trio of water falls. Two of which I used to turn into a pool. I love building stuff in Minecraft so I really haven't played much outside of creative and peaceful modes.

Thats sounds like quite the project honestly. I used to play a lot of a minecraft relm as well as on a small server that me, and few friends set up. Sadly a couple of them aren't my friends anymore, and the files for the server are gone. It was a huge castle though partly on the ocean and partly on land.

8 hours ago, efaardvark said:

Shhh.. be vewwy qwiet. I'm hunting wabbits.

Careful with that axe Eugene..

2018-10-28_20_27_55.thumb.png.cc24e0e1b52db04dd5c6144eca899b08.png

If there was a server based on Lonny tones I would be there all day at least for one day.

• 8 months later...

I'm looking for Naruto mod that we could delete characters that we don't want in the game and replace them with our own characters. Who the Original characters got married to as well.  I think that would be awesome. 

I'm looking for a Minecraft that has Hermitcraft Season 6's Tag Game.

Edited by HakuUzumaki