The Minecraft Topic

Geano

Greetings.

I've been considering an idea. I currently own a 'Realms' server, available in every latest version of the game, for the Java edition.
I am open to invite known users, some of you, if you should like to play in a Survival world.

All I would need is an in game username of the player, and they may join us.

• Cool (Kakkoii) 1

I have Mineraft (both Java edition and the Windows 10 version) and I've always wanted to try giving it more of an honest go. Is there anything you peeps do to make Minecraft more interesting for you? I find that each time I try, I wind up losing interest in it fairly quickly!

• 2 weeks later...

No, you don't need an nvidea card that costs more than your computer to do raytracing in minecraft.   It is possible even on AMD's "old" RX580 (though the alpha software still has bugs), and their new RX5700 seems to work fine. 

That said, and while I have to admit that it does make MC look awesome, I'm not going to buy even a $400 GPU just to play MC!  Not a big fan of bleeding-edge driver/software bugs either.  Maybe in a couple years when the next-gen cards come out, all the bugs have been worked out, and the GPU prices on the now-current get knocked down to a couple hundred $$ because they're now "old"...

On 8/14/2019 at 1:41 PM, Kohloo said:

I have Mineraft (both Java edition and the Windows 10 version) and I've always wanted to try giving it more of an honest go. Is there anything you peeps do to make Minecraft more interesting for you? I find that each time I try, I wind up losing interest in it fairly quickly!

(Sorry for the delay in in responding.. haven't had much free time lately so didn't see your post.)

I'm not sure there's any sure-fire way to make it interesting.  MC is a sandbox game so it helps to be able to come up with your own goals and side-arcs.  While there is something of a goal in things like the ender dragon and the end cities I find that I get more enjoyment out of implementing the wild ideas I get along the way.

I also find that it is more fun as a social thing.  You do have to watch out for people who are just into griefing though.  If I can find some good people to play it with then I tend to get more enjoyment out of it however.  (I actually wish that the devs would work more on this aspect.  If they had an in-game voice chat it would help a lot IMHO, especially if they spent as much time on rendering ambient sounds as on - for instance - ray-traced graphics.  Imagine caves that sound like caves, monsters in caves, with a bunch of fellow players getting creeped out listening to monsters in caves, in VR...  )

I also play on "hard" a lot, sometimes even permadeath, just to make things more interesting.  I get that's not an option for people who don't like survival mode.. just my prefs.

Some of the new content helps too.  I too got jaded and stopped playing for a number of years.  I think it was just after horses were introduced, which would have put it sometime around 2013.  I didn't start up again until relatively recently with the aquatic update.  (So ~2017.)  If you haven't played it recently there's a lot of new stuff to discover at least, and the pace of introduction of new stuff seems to have picked up in recent years.  Some of the new stuff does make it more challenging, as well as provide more opportunity for creativity.  The whole village/raiders dynamic makes finding and protecting a village/villagers a nice side-arc/distraction for instance, if you're into that sort of thing. 

And of course, newer hardware makes the game better too.  The first system I ran minecraft on could barely run it at single-digit frame rates even at a render distance of 4 or 5.  Amazing at the time, but MC at that level doesn't have much holding power.  Now I can run at 50fps even at a render distance above 30.  Combine that with the new biome/content and it makes just wandering around and looking at the scenery a lot more enjoyable.  Things like ray-tracing are continuing and enhancing that aspect.  (Again, if you're into that sort of thing.)  Better hardware also makes the game more responsive and therefore easier to control and less frustrating to people that aren't e-sports gods.  I still get a bit of lag occasionally, but nothing like the situation where the screen freezes for a minute and when it unfreezes you're dead sort of issues I had in hardware eras past.

Also, it sounds like this doesn't apply in your case but I could never get into the handheld ("Bedrock") version.  If you haven't tried the full desktop version then give that a shot before giving up.  (The java version works great on linux btw.)

hth...

Edited by efaardvark
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Was checking out a recent snapshot and found the following in my logs.  I didn't know parrots could imitate.  Now I wonder if they can imitate things like skeletons and
zombies.  Phantoms?  Endermen?  :)

Missing sound for event: minecraft:entity.parrot.imitate.panda

Missing sound for event: minecraft:entity.parrot.imitate.polar_bear

Missing sound for event: minecraft:entity.parrot.imitate.wolf

Just finished my item sorter and mob grinder on my survival world. So many things I wanted to do years ago, but kept procrastinating...

Is the realms server still a thing? Or is that over now?

18 hours ago, efaardvark said:

Somebody looking for things to do in minecraft?

I watch Wumbo all the time, but I haven't seen this video yet. Thanks

10 hours ago, Musuko said:

Is the realms server still a thing? Or is that over now?

Yeah, it is still a thing.  My brother and I have a game on it and play it often.  I think they limit you to 10 players maximum at any one time for personal accounts.  There's also 3rd-party servers with higher limits.   (And generally higher fees, but you can also usually add your own mods as well.)  Realms is simple and fairly cheap though, and Mojang/MSFT probably isn't going away any time soon.

@Wedgy There should be an achievement book, but I find most of the achievements to be more tedious than fun. Both Bedrock and Java editions of Minecraft should also have The End, where you can defeat the Ender Dragon and see the title sequence. A lot of people agree that the Wither is harder, though.

Some intermediate goals that I like to have are:

• Build a base with a bed, crafting table, and furnace (wool can be made from string)
  • Secure the area around the base (with lighting from torches)
  • Have a steady source of food (fishing rods are a life-saver)
  • Find some diamonds (at least five)
  • Find a group of villagers (hmmm)
  • Have a pet of some sort (cats are cute and scare off creepers)
  • Exploring Desert and Water monuments

Some other big goals are:

• Exploring the Nether
  • Building a mob-grinder
  • Automatic farms
  • Enchantment rooms

I personally have the most fun with redstone, but I think the most important part of Minecraft is the creativity. Like, finding a way to solve a problem using redstone or building a mansion based around a theme, but you're definitely right in the "setting your own goals" part. You can change your difficulty anytime, too. (Except for Hardcore, I believe.)

4 minutes ago, Wedgy said:

I just started playing this game and am textbook newbie. Could be just me but I feel it has a learning curve, and I don't get much time to play. I'm figuring out a few things like how to raise animals and keep crops, things like that. Once I learn the ropes well enough I want to start a game on a higher difficulty because I'm not sure what you're supposed to be doing. I guess one sets their own goals? 

A full response to "how to play minecraft" would take forever.  Of the two basic modes, "creative" and "survival", creative is the least stress.  Nothing is hostile, you have unlimited access to all resources, no health or food to worry about, breaking blocks is instantaneous, etc.  You can even fly around.   You can do whatever you like, with the corollary that you kind of have to come up with your own activities since most of the structure of the game is missing.  Unless you're the kind that likes to jump right in at the deep end I'd recommend that your first experience be in creative mode, at least until you get the hang of things.

Beyond that, I've been playing for years now so if you have any specific questions feel free to ask.  It also helps a lot to be able to find an experienced someone who can play with you online for a few "days".

In "survival" mode you have to build, grow, or find everything for yourself.  You have to worry about food and health, and hostile mobs ("mobiles", aka monsters) spawn in the dark places like caves and at night.  The first day is therefore kind of important, as you'll want to find a safe place to be before your first nightfall.  If you don't then you'll have to be dodging skeletons, zombies, and spiders all night.  That can be either fun or traumatizing, depending..  :) 

My "first day checklist"...

1.. punch a tree.  Literally within 10 seconds, find the nearest tree trunk and start breaking it for wood.

2.. take the logs you get from the tree and make some planks.

3.. make some of the planks into sticks

4.. make a crafting table

5.. place the crafting table down next to you and use it to craft some wooden tools from the sticks and planks.  You'll want at least an axe, a pick, and probably a shovel.  Use the axe to get more wood.  The pick is for (cobble)stone, and the shovel is for dirt.

6.. build a tiny hut.  The roof can be open (for the first night), but It should be about 4x4 blocks lengthxwidth, and 2 blocks tall.  you can use dirt, planks, stone, sand, or anything else you like.  Mine are usually dirt or planks, but anything that's handy where you spawn is fine.

7.. knock a hole in one wall of the hut that is 1 block wide and two blocks tall.

8.. use some planks to craft a door, and put the door in the gap you just made.  You might also want to break the crafting table down at this point and place it back down in the hut.

At this point you've got a little protected area that you can hide in during the first night.  Don't worry about anything fancy to start.  Keep a minimal mindset for the first few days.

If you have time on your first day after doing the above, or the next day if not, then the next things you'll need are light and a bed.  Look around for some stone. You'll need to mine 9 blocks to make into a furnace on the crafting table.  Put it next to the crafting table.

Put a log or two in the top part of the furnace, and a couple sticks or something wood in the bottom for fuel.  pretty much anything can be used as fuel.. doors, wooden tools, sticks, logs, tree saplings, etc.  There's an optimal way to do things, but I'm not going to spoil the fun by getting into it here.  :) if you put enough fuel in the bottom part you'll turn the log into charcoal.  a stick and coal or charcoal will make a torch.  Torches make light.  Monsters don't spawn where there's light.  Torches are thus handy for making places like caves or the inside of structures you build safe places where monsters don' surprise you.

Beds are kind of like save-game markers.  When you die (note that I did not say "if" :D ) you will respawn either at the world spawn point where you started the game or near the last bed you slept in.  You also need to sleep every three days or so in recent minecraft versions.  If you don't then if you go outside (exposed to sky above) you will be attacked by phantoms.

To make a bed will take "wool" and wooden planks.  Wool you can create from spider silk or from sheep.  There is a shear tool, but it requires iron to make, which you'll have to find as iron ore and refine in the furnace.  You'll have to kill spiders for the silk, so that's also problematic for newbies.  Sheep will also drop their wool when killed, as well as food (which you'll also be needing).  Sheep are non-hostile mobs, so killing sheep is probably the best way for a newbie to get wool.  Mkae the wool into a bed, and cook the meat in the furnace.

At this point you should be relatively safe.  You can make a sword and go off to fight mobs.  You can make a hoe and start a farm for growing seeds/wheat, carrots, potatoes, and beetroot.  You can build pens and farm pigs, cows, chickens, and sheep.  (Cows can be milked, and produce meat and leather when killed.  Sheep for wool and meat, like I mentioned.  Pigs are just for meat.  Chickens produce feathers, which are necessary for arrows, and also meat.)  You can make a pick and start mining for iron, gold, emeralds, redstone, and diamonds.  You can build a huge castle.  Or you can just go off and explore the world.. find villages, avoid raiders and other hostile mobs, etc.  There are horses, donkeys, and llamas for pack animals and riding, if you can tame them.

If you get bored with all that there's a portal you can build, which lets you get to the Nether.  Mostly lava and nasty mobs, but the Nether also is the only source for key ingredients for potions.  There's underwater temples, abandoned mines, the End and the End Dragon and End cities.  Lots of stuff to work for.

Here's the minecraft wiki, and like I said, just ask..

For the extreme MC survival players...

:D

Started a new "hardcore" for 19w38b snapshot.  Finished my starter hut and found that it has a wonderful nighttime view of the nearby coral ocean from its observation tower..

2019-09-22_20.37.51.png

Edited by efaardvark

I spent the evening attempting to get a private minecraft server + the RLCraft modpack running on my LAN.  This stuff is definitely not ready for prime time.  I grabbed the latest versions of forge and the rlc modpack, and added them to a freshly-(re)installed 1.12.2 MC server but ran into problems getting the server running.  I finally got all the mods installed on the server side and the server staying up (with a LOT of warnings, though no exceptions), but now the client is throwing a fatal exception after connecting.  Looks like maybe a version mismatch somewhere.  I don't really have the time to debug, then track down and install exact versions, but maybe I'll take a closer look at the modpack web site's forums tomorrow.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2019 at 5:05 PM, efaardvark said:

"Wattles" just started a RLCraft youtube series.  Wattles who doesn't mod and has never tried the RLcraft modpack.  I'm sure this will be gruesome.
:D

This looks amazing honestly. I am going to sit down to this very soon.

3 hours ago, efaardvark said:

I spent the evening attempting to get a private minecraft server + the RLCraft modpack running on my LAN.  This stuff is definitely not ready for prime time.  I grabbed the latest versions of forge and the rlc modpack, and added them to a freshly-(re)installed 1.12.2 MC server but ran into problems getting the server running.  I finally got all the mods installed on the server side and the server staying up (with a LOT of warnings, though no exceptions), but now the client is throwing a fatal exception after connecting.  Looks like maybe a version mismatch somewhere.  I don't really have the time to debug, then track down and install exact versions, but maybe I'll take a closer look at the modpack web site's forums tomorrow.

Minecraft servers can be tricky especially so when hosting a modded server yourself, or turning one of your home PCs into a server. I have done this in the past. In fact a group of friends, and I onnce had a huge castle world that even had large underwater structures.

Been playing the RLCraft modpack on my private server this afternoon.  This pack is brutal.  If your idea of a good time in minecraft is messing around in creative or goofing off in easy mode then this modpack is not for you.  Everything is trying to kill you, and you can be one-shotted with only 3 hearts-worth of damage due to hit locations.  (Your head and torso are considered critical-damage areas and only have 3 hearts each.)  Also, if your arms get injured then your combat abilities are affected.  If your legs get hit you slow down. 

2019-09-29_10_56_03.thumb.png.abaa3c1ca1d39814d2a8c21494c45549.png

There's environmental effects that can hurt you.  Deserts will give you hyperthermia.  Icy climates will give you hypothermia.  You get hungry as usual, but you also get thirsty.  If you drink water without cooking it first there's health debuffs similar to eating uncooked meat.  A full meal won't heal you either.  For that you need bandages, or a good night's rest in a bed will heal half of your health damage.

Just to make it even more difficult there's also skills.  You have mining, attack, defence, agility, farming, and magic skills that you have to level up to get anything done.  Breaking potatoes or sugar cane requires farming of 4 or greater.  Breaking iron ore needs level 4 mining.  You get experience pretty much as you would expect, but now you have to allocate those points towards your skills instead of saving them for your enchantment table.

This pack is also brutal on the server side.  There's over 50 mods in the pack!  I have a pretty beefy 2700X AMD system and it is still lagging occasionally, even with just one player and 4GB RAM allocated to the server.  Currently I'm messing around with the settings to see if I can do anything about that.

No idea what these are.  I call them moss dinos.  The plain beyond had "velociraptors" and all I had was a flint knife (with an attack skill of 3) so I didn't go any further. :D  Definitely not in Kansas anymore Toto.

2019-09-29_12_05_07.thumb.png.33ec07578474cf1c7e638c263cbedd66.png

Edited by efaardvark

Always keep an eye on the sky in RLCraft. There's not a lot that can fly in vanilla minecraft, and the stuff like ghasts and phantoms that can hurt you really only appears when you go looking for them, or in special circumstances that you generally can avoid. RLCraft just spawns random sh..tuff that swoops down and eats you. Sometimes it swoops down, CARRIES YOU AWAY, then eats you.

Technically you can survive being carried away if you kill what's carrying you away. Generally your victory is short-lived however, since the fall is likely to kill you. And if it doesn't kill you then it breaks your legs so you can't move. Inevitably something will come along and finish you off.

Also, a note on the sharknados.. one was just outside my cobblestone bunker so I thought I'd just pop out and take a few whacks at it with my sword.  How bad could it be, right?  I figured I'd just pop back inside if it turned out to be too bad.  Heh.

Things went bad as soon as I opened the door.  Before I could even see the monster I was sucked out of the doorway (!) and launched into the air.  As I was spinning around in the air the shark was attacking me from random directions.  I managed to connect with the sword - basically by random chance - pushing the shark away for a moment and by keeping the shift/down button mashed I finally dropped out of the tornado.  Fortunately I landed in the pond next to my bunker so I didn't take additional damage from the fall.  It seemed like the suck-you-into-the air process didn't work while I was underwater, or at least that didn't happen again.  At any rate I wasn't taking chances.  There's an underwater entrance to my bunker from the pond so I took that route and managed to get back inside without surfacing.

Have I mentioned this modpack is brutal?

• Cool (Kakkoii) 1

Insidious ways RLCraft tries to kill you #742:  You build a secure, well-lighted basement. According to the old MC rules that area will remain safe. In RLCraft, torches go out, so your "safe" basement turns into a monster farm and spawns a creeper, which sneaks up on you when you're busy at your crafting table and blows you up before you even notice it.

Fortunately it didn't break my bed, which is in another room (with it's own door even).  If it had broken the bed then RLC's spawn rules would have re-spawned me not at the world spawn point, but at a random spot within 10,000x10,000 blocks of where I died.  Random includes underwater and in lava.  Even assuming I respawn in a relatively safe area, at this point that probably would have meant re-starting with a new base, since even finding my current base with no equipment or food would be a major challenge.  You do get to keep your skills however, so at least that's something.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Some Japanese students had their graduation ceremonies in Minecraft when their school was quarantined & school activities shut down due to the virus...

https://soranews24.com/2020/03/15/japanese-students-hold-graduation-ceremony-in-minecraft-amid-school-cancellation/

• Like 1

Actually , i've never watched it before , but my friends have . I remember them showing me a house they all made together , they live together in the same house they made  , they they have a cat . Its interesting . Thats when i told them ill destroy their whole house by just tapping it 😂😂😂😂😂😂