The Minecraft Topic

Geano

Found another town.  This one is in a different biome with different resources so I set up a small ranch house nearby and got a turtle farm going on the beach.  Once I get some scutes from the turtles I'll make a turtle helmet and go diving.  (Turtle helmets are as good as iron helmets in terms of armor protection, plus they have better durability and confer the Water Breathing status/effect.  Turtle farming for the scutes is a bit of a pain however.)

I'll probably also fortify the town a bit eventually, and add a few profession tables so I can get some useful trades going.  Not really focused on that at the moment however.

Still waiting for the nether update in 1.16 too.  1.16 pre-release #2 (fixing a bug in pre#1) is out so we're probably within a month or so of that dropping.  Trying to stay out of the Nether until that happens though.

2020-06-06_16_10_37.thumb.png.ab0f590bae57470c85df9875ba61e7db.png

On 2/20/2020 at 9:43 PM, installed said:

Aye

Ive never played any version above 1.7.10. That's the only version i play because of a game mode called Potion PvP. I should've played a newer version of the game since I've started MC in 2011 or 2012. My IGN is installed

In the Java edition you can have multiple versions be delectable from the launcher if you go into the settings you'll find a menu to add them as short cuts. It can also be really good if your using mods too. 

Sildur's shaders and the 64x "Faithful" textures.  Not bad, and still getting up to 70fps even on my old(?) gpu.  I think this is good enough.  Time to stop tweaking and go back to playing.  :) 

Never did figure out the magic combination of settings for my old "ray traced" setup.  :( 

2020-06-11_19_53_16.thumb.png.4706bfebc3ceab0709af375c9e3c50fb.png2020-06-11_19_52_54.thumb.png.ffa097d771bc604596a3ee6957f348bd.png

1.16 pre-releases are coming faster than I can keep up and the actual changes are becoming more and more minor.  Can't be long now before the Nether update is here.

https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/article/minecraft-1-16-pre-release-6

... which probably means that I'll be losing optifine and the shaders and textures that I just recently installed.  :(  Oh well.  Easy come, easy go.  I do like the way it makes the full moon bright enough to shine "god rays" (aka crepuscular rays for the pendants among us) through the tree leaves however.

2020-06-11_20_14_56.thumb.png.1db647eee126707faf44b1f823195a52.png

Underwater isn't half bad either, though an underwater forest of animated kelp kills my frame rate...

2020-06-12_16_11_47.thumb.png.a710f534ba6c408160e0c22f7f2dd1ec.png

EDIT:  I just fired up my MC launcher and when I go to my "latest snapshot" installation it now says "release candidate 1"!

image.png.6e06ea8161d8a012793bb0a57b2f486a.png

Edited by efaardvark

2 hours ago, Geano said:

Boy been  a bit since I posted here. So who is excited for the new nether update.

I’m definitely looking forward to it.  I like exploring but the Nether has always been a bit boring to me tbh.  Dangerous too, though with no real reason to go there besides blaze rods and blaze dust for the brewing stand and nether wort and glowstone dust for potions.  Note the old Nether biome has been renamed “Nether Wastes” in 1.16.  Nothing to see there.  I’d always go there for a couple blaze rods, the soul sand, and the nether wort early on, but then bring it all back to my overworld farm and pretty much stay out of the nether after that.

This update should make the Nether a lot more interesting as a place to explore and adventure in for its own sake.  Plus the all the netherite and blackstone tools & armor mean we’ll actually have to do things like set up mining operations and not just go there on mob-hunt raids for crafting supplies.  In fact there’s a lot more blocks to go there for use in building as well as crafting.  I want to build a castle on a high hilltop in the overworld built entirely of blackstone and lit by soul fires. :)  I’m sure I’ll find overworld uses for a lot of the new textures on the new Nether blocks.

There’s a number of new mobs to hunt - or trade with - as well.  Piglins especially sound like they might have some useful dynamics.  I might even try setting up a Piglin trading post near my portal.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, efaardvark said:

I’m definitely looking forward to it.  I like exploring but the Nether has always been a bit boring to me tbh.  Dangerous too, though with no real reason to go there besides blaze rods and blaze dust for the brewing stand and nether wort and glowstone dust for potions.  Note the old Nether biome has been renamed “Nether Wastes” in 1.16.  Nothing to see there.  I’d always go there for a couple blaze rods, the soul sand, and the nether wort early on, but then bring it all back to my overworld farm and pretty much stay out of the nether after that.

This update should make the Nether a lot more interesting as a place to explore and adventure in for its own sake.  Plus the all the netherite and blackstone tools & armor mean we’ll actually have to do things like set up mining operations and not just go there on mob-hunt raids for crafting supplies.  In fact there’s a lot more blocks to go there for use in building as well as crafting.  I want to build a castle on a high hilltop in the overworld built entirely of blackstone and lit by soul fires. :)  I’m sure I’ll find overworld uses for a lot of the new textures on the new Nether blocks.

There’s a number of new mobs to hunt - or trade with - as well.  Piglins especially sound like they might have some useful dynamics.  I might even try setting up a Piglin trading post near my portal.

Now that would be one dope castle forsurre. Ya I am looking quite forward to playing with the new blocks as well. I love building castles in Minecraft I have done several sadly the largest is long sense deleted. Though I am sure I'll build more.

I too love exploring in games Minecraft in particular is fun though before long you've seen nearly everything, and read about the rest with most past updates. Though with this one may keep us entertained for a good while. 

Just to see how far I could push things I upped the memory in the java loader to 8GB, bumped the render range all the way to the right (with optifine that is currently 64), then wandered around the countryside near my main town to fill the client's chunk cache.  Made for a great snapshot.  Unfortunately it also dropped my frame rate to the single digits. 😭

Someday maybe mc will look like this natively, without having to install all this extra stuff.  Maybe by then I'll have a gfx card that can handle it.  :D 

image.thumb.png.42297b844424cfa8dabd8a951a6d4403.png

Edited by efaardvark

3 hours ago, efaardvark said:

Just to see how far I could push things I upped the memory in the java loader to 8GB, bumped the render range all the way to the right (with optifine that is currently 64), then wandered around the countryside near my main town to fill the client's chunk cache.  Made for a great snapshot.  Unfortunately it also dropped my frame rate to the single digits. 😭

Someday maybe mc will look like this natively, without having to install all this extra stuff.  Maybe by then I'll have a gfx card that can handle it.  :D 

image.thumb.png.42297b844424cfa8dabd8a951a6d4403.png

I have to say I am learning the more I play with mod  sets, and modpacks that resources can quickly get eaten through faster then even most games of a higher standard. Minecraft is one demanding game.

• Agree 1

On 6/21/2020 at 7:30 PM, Geano said:

I have to say I am learning the more I play with mod  sets, and modpacks that resources can quickly get eaten through faster then even most games of a higher standard. Minecraft is one demanding game.

Minecraft has always been a game that's hard on your computer.  It doesn't help that it wasn't written terribly efficiently, but even with things like optifine it will take as much CPU and memory as you give it.  I gave it 8GB of RAM and it could have taken more if I'd had a better gfx card.  It was that way 10 years ago when it first came out and is that way today.  I remember when mc first came out I'd just bought a Radeon HD 5970 with an astounding 2GB of RAM.  I thought it was an awesome card.  Didn't matter to mc.  It took it all and still wanted more.  :D

feedmeseymore.jpeg.46df7e907ff92030e16ffd68f05719a1.jpeg

Edited by efaardvark
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, efaardvark said:

Minecraft has always been a game that's hard on your computer.  It doesn't help that it wasn't written terribly efficiently, but even with things like optifine it will take as much CPU and memory as you give it.  I gave it 8GB of RAM and it could have taken more if I'd had a better gfx card.  It was that way 10 years ago when it first came out and is that way today.  I remember when mc first came out I'd just bought a Radeon HD 5970 with an astounding 2GB of RAM.  I thought it was an awesome card.  Didn't matter to mc.  It took it all and still wanted more.  :D

feedmeseymore.jpeg.46df7e907ff92030e16ffd68f05719a1.jpeg

Yah it defiantly can be rough on lower end ones. I have always had a machine that can keep up with it for the most part though. Though the other issue us not only was it not written to well it was based in Java which in it of itself is a issue. Though the community for the Java Edition is so large would not be wise to discontinue the Java Edition they'd have a literal fallout on their hands.

So I got the Nether Update today a day late lol. I did a bit of exploring, and I have to say its quite an improvement to the game. Far more so then probably the last two big updates have been. There is actually a reason to go to the nether now. 

• Like 1

On 6/24/2020 at 8:36 PM, Geano said:

So I got the Nether Update today a day late lol. I did a bit of exploring, and I have to say its quite an improvement to the game. Far more so then probably the last two big updates have been. There is actually a reason to go to the nether now. 

I've been trying to find time to play since it dropped but this annoying "life" thing keeps getting in the way.  😢  Maybe this weekend I'll get some time.

My brother says the Nether is now full of Endermen, or at least the interesting new places are.  Sounds annoying.  :)

12 minutes ago, efaardvark said:

I've been trying to find time to play since it dropped but this annoying "life" thing keeps getting in the way.  😢  Maybe this weekend I'll get some time.

My brother says the Nether is now full of Endermen, or at least the interesting new places are.  Sounds annoying.  :)

Yet in one of the new biomes they spawn which is sorta odd to me right now, but I'm sure I'll adjust. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Noticed this on youtube's "recommended" panel & took a trip down memory lane.  (I think I watched the first several hundred of these all those years ago.)  Apparently the guy's still going strong now over 10 years later.  Still hasn't made it to the Far Lands either.  :D

• 2 weeks later...

Just a note that optifine for mc 1.16.4 and .5 is available on the optifine download page.  That's a sure sign that the 1.17 release of the game is imminent but I went ahead and installed it so I can enjoy a shader-enabled mc again, at least for a few moments.  :D

(below using optifine for 1.16.5, Sildurs shaders, and a 64x resource pack called "Steven's Traditional" on an old RX480 gfx card.)

2021-01-31_13_46_25.thumb.png.cf422b5e9b7e8669b95b0832fb5b8a71.png2021-01-31_13_53_19.thumb.png.863491efdfee1250b70c6e01264f0b4c.png

I was thinking about reinstalling the RLCraft modpack on a local server but the modpack needs v1.12.2 and 1.12.2 needs java 8.  I've got java 11 - which I need for other things - so .. not happening.  Unfortunate, but probably for the best, all things considered.

• 4 weeks later...