The Minecraft Topic

Geano

Largest creation on 2b2t to date?  A giant pekora likeness made out of 2.1M blocks of obsidian.  Some people have way too much time on their hands.  :D

Edited by efaardvark

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For me, the minecrift phenomenon is surprising. On the one hand, when I was younger, I spent quite a lot of hours on it building strange buildings, I walked and collected all the necessary things and even met some really cool people, on the other hand, when I look at it from the perspective of a few years, it seems to me now I wouldn't have the patience for this style of play. Not enough explosions haha! Of course, from time to time I play with my sister, but it is a maximum of 2 hours and I am already bored. Although when I'm in the store and I see a backpack / t-shirt etc. with a minecraft theme, I want to buy it right away: D

• 5 months later...

So I was reading the wiki on the new(ish) villager/village mechanics & it sounds like the game defines a village as a set of beds within a certain distance (32 blocks?) of a "significant" block (bell, or bed) horizontally and 5 blocks vertically.  That got me to wondering if you could stack villages vertically.  Think of a bell in the center of a 64x64 field of beds.  Then clone that and place it maybe 10 blocks above the first, then do that again for maybe 10 levels or so. 

We could name the construction "Aincrad".  :D   Probably call it something else less printable tho since I imagine the lag would be .. substantial with all those entities crammed in a few chunks.

• 2 weeks later...

That “Part 2” of 1.18 added a huge sub-level to all chunks.  Existing bedrock is changed to deep slate, and if you dig through that there are another 60 or so blocks of deep slate below that before you’ll reach the new bedrock layer!

The new levels are generated with the new algorithms too.  I found a huge cavern with dripstone and stalactites and stalagmites at the bottom of my mine underneath my main base in an otherwise 1.14 chunk.  I even found some copper down there.  Nice change from having to travel huge distances to find unexplored chunks and newly-added resources on an update.

The upper levels now extend to 250 blocks as well, and iron and emeralds generate at increasing frequency at the higher elevations.

This new caves and cliffs has some pretty amazing terrain generation.  This is that cave that I mentioned previously.  It is right under a base that I've been using as my main abode since probably about 1.7.  As I mentioned, the new caves-and-cliffs 2 converts all the bedrock in these old chunks to "deep slate", and if you dig through that then you'll find another ~60 blocks of depth before you'll again hit bedrock.  This cave was in that "sub-level" under my old chunk's bedrock.  Those things on the right that look like stalagmites are what the new version calls dripstone, and can be mined, then used to create an endless lava generator.

btw, I don't normally play with the gamma turned up this high.  On my monitor this is pretty much pitch black.  I just did this to the screenshot to bring out the details for this post.

2021-12-10_19_51.55-lighter.thumb.png.4bdc7acb49c4531514ee473533abd2f1.png

My test rig to experiment with the dripstone.

2021-12-12_14_14.18-testrig.thumb.png.1ebc25e4f46452a53571d67d1986dbbe.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This may look awesome, but then you notice that it is running on an I9 12900k at 5.2gHz with a 3090 in the system.  Wonder what the price is?  The i9 alone is over $600.  At today's insane GPU prices the 3090 is around $3k-3.5k last I checked.  Then add the motherboard, 32GB RAM, and the rest of the kit.  The i9's native speed is only 3.2gHz, so the rig producing these has to have an insane overclocking setup.  RAM is probably also high-spec and overclocked.

Yes, it looks awesome, but $5-$7k awesome?  I think I'm going to have to stick with my old RX480, optifine, and Silders shaders for the foreseeable future.  😭😭😭

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, little Minecraft story -- 

So it was a easy morning in 2011-2012? I was around 6-7 years old, and I remember my girlfriend, brother and Me sitting down playing some Minecraft. What makes this story great as a memory, was when we built a dirt (block) house and it was night time (in game). So of course Mobs have spawned, and it was scary for our young brains. Nonetheless, fun. We opened the door to find a Enderman, and we looked straight at it, soon enough it did that weird scream (i think) and began attacking us. 

I remember so clearly all 3 of us SCREECHING in fear. Anyways -- fun little story on why I love Minecraft now after growing up with it. 

(My brother was 8, my Gf was my age, so around 6-7)

• Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2022 at 8:06 PM, efaardvark said:

Somebody finally figured out how to hit an enderman with an arrow...

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Huzzah! Finally a reasonable way to eliminate a Enderman 🤣

So an honest question for you Minecrafters out there -- what are your thoughts on the Dream SMP? 
I have watched the streams a few times, also some Dream (before he was popular), GeorgeNotFound, and Technoblade..my current thoughts are that they are over popular. 

I love Technoblade, he is awesome with his Bedwars vids, but the rest of the crew throws me off a little bit, considering the media idolization they get. It's creepy, don't you think? 
But honestly, what can we expect from Gen Z? 

1 hour ago, deaaath said:

what are your thoughts on the Dream SMP

That kind of thing (the media side anyway) seems like way too much work to me.  If they have that much time and enjoy doing it then that’s perfectly fine, but as for me I’d usually rather spend my precious free time playing my own game than performing in or watching somebody else’s (semi)scripted machinima.  I’m just not into the whole content production thing surrounding it/them.  The plots are sometimes amusing but they aren’t up to the level of good anime or books so I guess you could say I just don’t really get it.  A certain significant part of it all is pretty commercialized too, which actively turns me off, as do certain personalities.

On the game side, I don’t get enough time to play as it is so I typically only play Minecraft with friends & family on private servers to avoid wasting what time I do have on trolls, griefers, and other ne'er-do-wells.  While I’d do enjoy SMP, these days I probably wouldn’t play on a public Dream server even if invited.

• Agree 1

Gorgeous builds, as always. 
Hermitcraft always amazes me, once I get a job, my own PC and stuff, I'm willing to start my own server. (And once that happens, Ill make sure to let you guys in on it ;)
HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend watching the Hermitcraft series on youtube. MumboJumbo and Grian both do a great job at their videos :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

1st official snapshot with deep dark is out!  Also frogs and mangrove-related blocks.  Apparently no warden yet however.

On 3/9/2022 at 1:02 AM, Juliusball said:

Please tell me how to install this modpack, is it too heavy because my computer is pretty slow

tbh the pack was kind of a pain to get running.  I never did get it running 100%.  Especially if you have a slow computer I think the best / easiest way to get it running is rent a server from a company that has already done the heavy-lifting for you and has the hardware that will support it.  Something like Bisect comes to mind immediately but there are others if you don't like them for some reason.

So htf do you get a froglight?  According to the change notes frogs drop froglights if they eat a magma cube instead of a slime.  I haven't played with frogs yet but it seems to me that getting the two creature types together might be a bit of a challenge.  Maybe you can drag a frog into the nether on a lead?  Then if you can find a bastion that has a magma cube spawner in it you might be able to make a froglight farm.

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the new terrain generation algos.  I just started a new 1.18.2 game today specifically to check that out since one of the fun things I like to do in mc is explore and the views are awesome.  At least in single player where you can push the render distance up and get some good panoramas going.  Too bad the game doesn't let you do that in single-player.  I can see why since the built-in render engine sucks performance-wise but it is still a shame.  Fortunately some of the other terrain features are also cool and don't require large render distances to appreciate.

2022-03-27_18_14_29.thumb.png.261f7a4f6a14a9a54712d818ea82a4ad.png

• 4 weeks later...

Got my account "upgraded" to a MSFT account at gunpoint.  Had been using my old Mojang account since I don't know when.  Before horses at least.. I don't even think redstone blocks were a thing yet.  Anyway, RIP Mojang.  Hail the MCP.

Then of course I had to test the "new" account by playing for a while.  :)  Figured out that the last time I played I was working on my farm's collection system so I worked out what I had been up to & finished that.  Not that these kinds of things are ever "finished", really, but ykwim.  Functional and done.. for now.

2022-04-19_23_36_11.thumb.png.2e0d931b69b9613bc2ec97803233d898.png

Then I took a brief excursion to an area with new chunks to do some sightseeing in terrain generated by the new algos.  Some of these new sights are amazing.

2021-12-17_21_11_29.thumb.png.6487d5d987141fe5a01d4f3641312203.png

I feel that minecraft was one of my go to games for years, but it just doesn't feel the same anymore, no matter what they add or how much the game changes I just cant find the drive to play it for more then 10 minutes anymore.

• 1 month later...

For a while I'd been thinking that I was pretty much done adding stuff to my farm.  The essentials had been taken care of long ago, and even linked into an automatic collection system.   Except for chickens.  Believe it or not I'd been using an old-school chicken pen for a long, long time now.  That's quite noisy however, as anyone who's done that sort of thing knows.  And it was just outside my house! 🐔cluck🐔cluck🐔cluck🐔cluck🐔cluck🐔cluck🐔cluck🐔cluck🐔cluck🐔cluck🐔cluck🐔cluck🐔cluck🐔cluck   :veryangry:💢  But now I've gotten rid of the cluck-farm and - finally - added a more modern chicken coop.  This new one is much quieter, and automatic besides.  Of course now I've got to extend my underground collection system as well.  This is a non-lava version.  I decided to not cook them for now because while pre-cooked chicken is convenient I'm always over-loaded with chicken and this way I can trade the excess raw chicken to the butcher in the nearby town.

2022-05-24_18_53_50.png-small.thumb.png.8572713ca5c3c3c842beb8ab7304553c.png

I've also experimented a tiny bit with a trading hall in the nearby town.  Trading with professional villagers/shopkeepers is quite useful since the villager update a while back.  My problem is that I don't like a lot of the villager farms that you see out there that make it look like the villagers are being held prisoner.  :) I've been trying for a more open arrangement that allows the shopkeepers to move around a bit more naturally but still keeps them available for trade and out of trouble.  Not much time for experiments but I tweak it as I think of things to try.  Still a work in progress... 

2022-05-24_19_03_02.png-small.thumb.png.b9ed470e1797a5456051b3a89f3068d2.png

2022-05-24_18.59.01.png-small.png

• Love it! (Daisuki) 1