ArchieKun

The Minecraft Topic

Been playing the RLCraft modpack on my private server this afternoon.  This pack is brutal.  If your idea of a good time in minecraft is messing around in creative or goofing off in easy mode then this modpack is not for you.  Everything is trying to kill you, and you can be one-shotted with only 3 hearts-worth of damage due to hit locations.  (Your head and torso are considered critical-damage areas and only have 3 hearts each.)  Also, if your arms get injured then your combat abilities are affected.  If your legs get hit you slow down. 

2019-09-29_10_56_03.thumb.png.abaa3c1ca1d39814d2a8c21494c45549.png

There's environmental effects that can hurt you.  Deserts will give you hyperthermia.  Icy climates will give you hypothermia.  You get hungry as usual, but you also get thirsty.  If you drink water without cooking it first there's health debuffs similar to eating uncooked meat.  A full meal won't heal you either.  For that you need bandages, or a good night's rest in a bed will heal half of your health damage.

Just to make it even more difficult there's also skills.  You have mining, attack, defence, agility, farming, and magic skills that you have to level up to get anything done.  Breaking potatoes or sugar cane requires farming of 4 or greater.  Breaking iron ore needs level 4 mining.  You get experience pretty much as you would expect, but now you have to allocate those points towards your skills instead of saving them for your enchantment table.

This pack is also brutal on the server side.  There's over 50 mods in the pack!  I have a pretty beefy 2700X AMD system and it is still lagging occasionally, even with just one player and 4GB RAM allocated to the server.  Currently I'm messing around with the settings to see if I can do anything about that.

No idea what these are.  I call them moss dinos.  The plain beyond had "velociraptors" and all I had was a flint knife (with an attack skill of 3) so I didn't go any further. :D  Definitely not in Kansas anymore Toto.

2019-09-29_12_05_07.thumb.png.33ec07578474cf1c7e638c263cbedd66.png

Edited by efaardvark

Posted (edited)

Sharknados are a thing in the RLCraft modpack..

2019-10-02_20.14.50.png

Edited by efaardvark

Always keep an eye on the sky in RLCraft. There's not a lot that can fly in vanilla minecraft, and the stuff like ghasts and phantoms that can hurt you really only appears when you go looking for them, or in special circumstances that you generally can avoid. RLCraft just spawns random sh..tuff that swoops down and eats you. Sometimes it swoops down, CARRIES YOU AWAY, then eats you.

Technically you can survive being carried away if you kill what's carrying you away. Generally your victory is short-lived however, since the fall is likely to kill you. And if it doesn't kill you then it breaks your legs so you can't move. Inevitably something will come along and finish you off.

Also, a note on the sharknados.. one was just outside my cobblestone bunker so I thought I'd just pop out and take a few whacks at it with my sword.  How bad could it be, right?  I figured I'd just pop back inside if it turned out to be too bad.  Heh.

Things went bad as soon as I opened the door.  Before I could even see the monster I was sucked out of the doorway (!) and launched into the air.  As I was spinning around in the air the shark was attacking me from random directions.  I managed to connect with the sword - basically by random chance - pushing the shark away for a moment and by keeping the shift/down button mashed I finally dropped out of the tornado.  Fortunately I landed in the pond next to my bunker so I didn't take additional damage from the fall.  It seemed like the suck-you-into-the air process didn't work while I was underwater, or at least that didn't happen again.  At any rate I wasn't taking chances.  There's an underwater entrance to my bunker from the pond so I took that route and managed to get back inside without surfacing.

Have I mentioned this modpack is brutal?

• Cool (Kakkoii) 1

Insidious ways RLCraft tries to kill you #742:  You build a secure, well-lighted basement. According to the old MC rules that area will remain safe. In RLCraft, torches go out, so your "safe" basement turns into a monster farm and spawns a creeper, which sneaks up on you when you're busy at your crafting table and blows you up before you even notice it.

Fortunately it didn't break my bed, which is in another room (with it's own door even).  If it had broken the bed then RLC's spawn rules would have re-spawned me not at the world spawn point, but at a random spot within 10,000x10,000 blocks of where I died.  Random includes underwater and in lava.  Even assuming I respawn in a relatively safe area, at this point that probably would have meant re-starting with a new base, since even finding my current base with no equipment or food would be a major challenge.  You do get to keep your skills however, so at least that's something.