Which monster-based anime was your favorite?

Beocat

And why....

Pokemon, Monster Rancher, or Digimon?

For me, it would actually be Monster Rancher. I have so many good memories of it and never really was terribly into Pokemon (blasphemy I know!). I don't remember much of it, but it might truthfully be the first Trapped in a Video Game anime...  not sure if dot Hack beat it out there or not. 

Once I might've said Digimon, but they put too many jokes in it (bad jokes) to stand the test of time for me.

What about all of you? 

So when I read the topic title I was like "Yeah, I've got one" but then saw you were talking about Pokemon type anime monsters and I went "Okay, so that won't work." BUT...and that's a big but, I would agree with you that Monster Rancher was the best. Don't get me wrong, Pokemon was alright but geared more for the younger generation and Digimon was just...meh...and I think it was the divergent humor that threw me as well. Of course Blue Dragon wasn't bad, but again, seemed to be geared more towards a younger audience. So I guess I became a settler with Monster Rancher instead. 

Cheers! 

• Agree 1

Monster Rancher, To any of you who don't know, THIS IS NOT A KNOCK OFF OF POKEMON or Digimon. In reality, the only similarity they all share is the "training monsters" aspect, if you have played the game you know it is nothing like Pokemon and especially not Digimon.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Beocat said:

And why....

Pokemon, Monster Rancher, or Digimon?

For me, it would actually be Monster Rancher. I have so many good memories of it and never really was terribly into Pokemon (blasphemy I know!). I don't remember much of it, but it might truthfully be the first Trapped in a Video Game anime...  not sure if dot Hack beat it out there or not. 

anyone else remember, having to use other disks, to summon monsters, using a MGS (metal gear solid) disk, and getting a suezo monster, rather than a big, strong one ?,

i do, it was fun, an eyeball monster is always good too just not at night time

i woulda said MGQ (monster girl quest), but well, its an eroge, and id rather not 

so ill go with one of my all-time favorites, Azure Dreams, cant say it got an anime adaption, buttttttt, it did have anime-sprites, and kewne being an overall badass >.>

just recently also found out that, there's more to the game than meets the eye after reaching the toppest floors, this makes me wanna load it up and play the game again, crossing fingers for a succubus familiar good familiar, like minerva~! 

Definitely Pokemon at least the first season which in the Japanese version covered the first 2 gens, or in the dub covered first 5 seasons. Pokemon has always been close to my heart in terms of anime since it was one of my first. As far as the deeper reasoning I just like the story at least in the earliest episodes. It is well thought out, and a bit deep without being to much all at once. Plus the idea of Pokemon is just a good one, and really hasn't been truly beaten by others dispute many trying.

I'd have to also say in pearly anime series terms Digimon is a equal to Pokemon fir slightly different reasons. The main one for me being the story. At the time the cyberspace adventure idea was huge yes, but Digimon did it right by keeping it unique compared to tthe other stuff that was out at the time. It proved a lot of the stereotypes of this concept wrong.