Who Were Your Favorite Tales of Characters and Why? (poll is optional)

Beocat

Which was your favorite Tales game? (optional and anonymous)  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Which was your favorite Tales game? (optional and anonymous)

• Tales of Destiny series
    • Tales of Symphonia series
    • Tales of Legendia
    • Tales of the Abyss
    • Tales of Vesperia
    • Tales of Graces
    • Tales of Xillia series
    • Tales of Zestiria
    • Tales of Berseria
    • My Favorite Tales of Game is not Listed Here. :(

Okay, so many of us on this forum are familiar with the Tales of series (a wonderful RPG series). 

Now, I've been thinking.  My favorite character is probably Raven, from Tales of Vesperia.  Whenever he was available to my party, I always had him there.  In fact, with Estelle being fairly worthless to my party (she could never survive long enough to cast a healing spell and was a waste of resurrection vials yet SOMEHOW the twit becomes ridiculously powerful when she's being mind-controlled!  Where was that power when I needed it!?), I filled my party with Yuri, Karol, Rita, and Raven (at least 3 of the 4 could perform healing and this worked extremely well).  I will admit that I've always had a thing for archers.  Who knows, maybe the Robin Hood tales did me in when I was younger, but if there is an archer in the party, I gravitate towards him or her.  Raven was an archer and he was fun to play as (and could heal party members from a distance).  I liked his attitude too.  He came across as more real of a person than the rest (other than Yuri, they did great with him).  I also like older men so having an "old man" in my party was pretty nice ^_^ 

That being said, my favorite game was NOT Vesperia.  I don't know if it was just me, but I could never ever ever had enough TP in that game (no, we're not talking about toilet paper).  I was downing those vials like they were cheap (and I don't think they were!).  The battle system just seemed like they forget to sit a bunch of players through the whole game to see if it worked.

Originally my favorite game (and first Tales game) was Tales of Symphonia on the Gamecube.  It also had my then favorite character (if only she had been an archer!  lol), Raine, who was an AMAZING COOK (hehehehehehehe :naughty:  I have never had such entertaining afterbattle dialogue popups before.  I TORTURED my poor group the entire game!), and her "Ruin Mode" was quite comedic as well.  :)  Some days, she still is my favorite Tales character!  How can anyone really just have one? 

Anyhow, my favorite game now is Tales of Graces (which I surprisingly don't have a favorite character from...) and I think part of it is the mix of characters (no one is too outlandish other than that one girl) and part of it is the tragedy, and another part was definitely Cheria and Asbel.  It was just enjoyable all around and the ending was poignant.  I even played the after-story (which I won't always do if I'm not hugely impressed by a game).  I know some people said the plot was derivative and all, but that doesn't matter to me.  It is how the story is told that matters and the interactions between the characters were extremely well written.  I could believe the history between the characters existed it was done so well.  Now I want to replay it just thinking about it...

The only Tales game that I started and didn't finish was Legendia….the breakdancing post-battle...if I could have just turned it off.....  >_>  I heard Abyss was better, and I have them both, but I never played Abyss for fear the dancing was contagious....

So, what were your favorite Tales games and characters?  Do they come from the same game or are you split with your affections?  Was there something you liked or didn't like about a particular game?

• Winner 1

I love the Tales Of series so much, and it is hard to truly chose a favorite though I'd have to say overall It would have to be Graces. If you consider story, characters, and gameplay for me its the best one. My favorite characters in Graces is Asbel,  Cheria, and Hubert. I also really like Zestertia/Berseria. For me these would be next in line in terms of favorites. Eizan being my favorite in both of those.

Honestly in terms of the others I like than all honestly, and I love them all.

• Love it! (Daisuki) 1

2 hours ago, Beocat said:

The only Tales game that I started and didn't finish was Legendia….the breakdancing post-battle...if I could have just turned it off.....  >_>  I heard Abyss was better, and I have them both, but I never played Abyss for fear the dancing was contagious....

So, what were your favorite Tales games and characters?  Do they come from the same game or are you split with your affections?  Was there something you liked or didn't like about a particular game?

you should, 100% give abyss a try, its a great great great game, i dont remember a dance scene in there, but it clearly was a good game~

if we're being basing on what hooked me on "tales of" series, ill go with Destiny, as the main character (stahn) was a cool boi in it

but if we're basing on whats recent, ill go with tales of xillia....TWO, couse, for me, the choices in the dialogue is what i really love in games, and that clearly delivered to me

also millia a thot who clearly could show love to someone other than jude

also, jude's "teleports behind you" is fun, it makes me wanna play with the enemy all the time, going "whatcha trying to hit buddy, im already behind ya", or "teleports behind you", "nothing personal kid" "unleashes a barrage of combos on his backbone, probably paralyzing him if it was real life"

the scary part is, judes a doctor, so he can probably actually paralyze the poor monsters backbone >.>

• Like 1
  • Friendly 1

15 hours ago, ArchieKun said:

I love the Tales Of series so much, and it is hard to truly chose a favorite though I'd have to say overall It would have to be Graces. If you consider story, characters, and gameplay for me its the best one. My favorite characters in Graces is Asbel,  Cheria, and Hubert. I also really like Zestertia/Berseria. For me these would be next in line in terms of favorites. Eizan being my favorite in both of those.

Honestly in terms of the others I like than all honestly, and I love them all.

I never got around to Zestiria or Berseria myself but they are definitely on my list to tackle. Did you play the afterstory with the Little Queen?

13 hours ago, XII360 said:

you should, 100% give abyss a try, its a great great great game, i dont remember a dance scene in there, but it clearly was a good game~

if we're being basing on what hooked me on "tales of" series, ill go with Destiny, as the main character (stahn) was a cool boi in it

but if we're basing on whats recent, ill go with tales of xillia....TWO, couse, for me, the choices in the dialogue is what i really love in games, and that clearly delivered to me

also millia a thot who clearly could show love to someone other than jude

also, jude's "teleports behind you" is fun, it makes me wanna play with the enemy all the time, going "whatcha trying to hit buddy, im already behind ya", or "teleports behind you", "nothing personal kid" "unleashes a barrage of combos on his backbone, probably paralyzing him if it was real life"

the scary part is, judes a doctor, so he can probably actually paralyze the poor monsters backbone >.>

The dancing in Legendia was the post battle cutscene where they figure up your points from the battle and grade you. Usually the characters talk to each other or mess around with their weapons but in Legendia they breakdance...  I do need to give Abyss a try. The next time I take a week off, I'll start it.

You saying Tales of Xillia II? I have it but didn't play it. Enjoyed the first one. Played Jude first and loved it. Had to play Millia for the complete story (less wowed by her story...my best friend was opposite on that).  

8 minutes ago, Beocat said:

You saying Tales of Xillia II? I have it but didn't play it. Enjoyed the first one. Played Jude first and loved it. Had to play Millia for the complete story (less wowed by her story...my best friend was opposite on that).  

yea, ToX II's choices is one of the best so far, and i wished the future games had dialogue choices, but like any "Tales of" series, they always change it up, but keep some stuff intact,

though it could be just me, and my likeness of "silent protag" protagonists, where i choose his dialogue and stuff >.>...

the time requirement to pick a dialogue was fun af though, wish more games followed through with that, in terms of dialogue options, rather than giving you time to think, strangely reminds me of "tell tale" games dialogue, couse theres a time limit on their choices too

spoiler image, but also not really, since its early in the game (like 30minutes, assuming you rush through)

028A016D7319588-c2-photo-oYToxOntzOjE6In

stuff like that, where you have to decide what the MC does/say, are hella fun and make the game 100x enjoyable for me >.>

should make a thread about games like those ... might find a gem i haven't played

Even though I never finished tales of vesperia, I really enjoyed it. Estelle can be a hit and miss for me. Rita, Raven, cpt Kaorl and Yuri were the best cast there. So glad it's getting a DE edition this November, however a shame since it isn't bc on the XB.

I really love berseria, Velvet, Eleanor, Magilou are just waifu materials. Eizan and Rokuro are just hilarious. I loved it when the girls thought Edna was a love child of Eizan and where speculating, whilst Rokuro to Laphicet was just "stay away from girls".

Zesteria is a hard one. I don't mind Edna, Rose or Zavid. Mikleo is okay, Alisha is cute. Overall the game just didn't do it for me.

I did play Graces F and really enjoyed it. Wasn't too much of a fan of Asbel though. I got the art book along with the game, that was a nice addition.    

I may be the odd one out overall, but I love everything Tales of Xillia. The characters are all fantastic, believable, likable, well developed, and most importantly, easy to feel for so everything they go through, you go through it with them. They are simply the best characters in my opinion, followed by Abyss, Vesperia, and Berseria all tied for second. 

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:40 AM, XII360 said:

though it could be just me, and my likeness of "silent protag" protagonists, where i choose his dialogue and stuff >.>…

stuff like that, where you have to decide what the MC does/say, are hella fun and make the game 100x enjoyable for me >.>

should make a thread about games like those ... might find a gem i haven't played

You just described a lot of RPG fans!  :)  And you should make a thread about games like those!  I have a huge list myself if you are looking for recommendations ;)

11 hours ago, Bloop said:

Even though I never finished tales of vesperia, I really enjoyed it. Estelle can be a hit and miss for me. Rita, Raven, cpt Kaorl and Yuri were the best cast there. So glad it's getting a DE edition this November, however a shame since it isn't bc on the XB.

I really love berseria, Velvet, Eleanor, Magilou are just waifu materials. Eizan and Rokuro are just hilarious. I loved it when the girls thought Edna was a love child of Eizan and where speculating, whilst Rokuro to Laphicet was just "stay away from girls".

Zesteria is a hard one. I don't mind Edna, Rose or Zavid. Mikleo is okay, Alisha is cute. Overall the game just didn't do it for me.

I did play Graces F and really enjoyed it. Wasn't too much of a fan of Asbel though. I got the art book along with the game, that was a nice addition.    

Vesperia did have a great cast.  Some people really complain about Captain Karol, but I actually liked his character (his terror of bugs and all).  I have this sneaking suspicion he was harped on about by some because he is the kid in the group (I think most every Tales game has an obligatory pre-teen or pre-teen looking member in it).  I had to grind out money in the game to afford the TP vials...if only regenerating TP hadn't been so difficult.

I hear that a lot about Asbel as well.  My best friend loved the game but didn't like Asbel.  Her reasoning was his insistence that Cheria shouldn't be in the group because it endangered her (he was trying to protect her - my friend thought it offensive and backwards thinking lol).  What was your reasoning for not liking Asbel?

7 hours ago, RepentantSky said:

I may be the odd one out overall, but I love everything Tales of Xillia. The characters are all fantastic, believable, likable, well developed, and most importantly, easy to feel for so everything they go through, you go through it with them. They are simply the best characters in my opinion, followed by Abyss, Vesperia, and Berseria all tied for second. 

They were rather well made.  I especially liked Jude's character in Xillia.  Okay, Abyss and Berseria keep getting mentioned.  I need to move them up on my list to sooner rather than later! 

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

My fav tales char would be from tales of the abyss namely luke his funny yet can be serious and kind ,tear is strong and caring and mieu his so cute i even wanted to have him as a pet irl.

• Like 1
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

1 hour ago, Kaga Koko said:

My fav tales char would be from tales of the abyss namely luke his funny yet can be serious and kind ,tear is strong and caring and mieu his so cute i even wanted to have him as a pet irl.

I love Luke, and Ash. I won't spoil; to much for any reading, but that was so damn good character development there some of the best in the Tales Of series honestly.

• Love it! (Daisuki) 1