Do you have a "sad game"?

Stealing the term "sad game" from a video series from Eurogamer (skip to 1:20 in the linked video for context).

Just like how we can use film, music or books to comfort us or provide us with some sort of escape during moments of emotional distress or during stressful periods of our lives, games can be used for the same thing.

So when you're in a sad mood and decide to play a game (if you can get yourself to play anything), do you find that you tend to lean towards a certain game or genre in particular?

I'll start: I find that when I'm in a bad state of mind or just going through a tough period in life, I've found that I play games that have a strong atmosphere with a sense of solitude or loneliness or just a bleak, melancholy atmosphere in general. For example; Elite Dangerous is a game which feels solitary for me, as when I play I tend to just do trade missions, flying from one space station to another, or just venturing off into the galaxy and scanning planets which haven't been discovered so I can sell the data. Doing this provides me with a sense of solitude since I'm not really interacting with anyone outside of the stations (or if a pirate attacks) and I feel free to just fly in space alone without having to worry about any other NPC's or players. It doesn't really feel lonely, just solitary, because, except for those pirates and possibly flying to close to a sun or running out of fuel, I never really feel like I'm in a danger or anything. I just feel adrift and at peace in my little ship among the stars and I can just have some peaceful "time out" time to myself for a bit to get some peace of mind.

Shadow of the Colossus also does this for me, but there's a bit more danger in that world.

On the other hand, if I want something that conveys a more bleak feeling, games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. are my go-to. These games are the ones that I typically go-to when I'm in a really bad state of mind because it usually feels like I can connect with the dismal quality of the atmosphere. Wandering through a radiated wasteland with mutated creatures, paranormal activity and bandits where the skies usually maintain a constant shade of grey makes the game's world feel cold and harsh, but I find that it can be comforting when you're in the right state of mind.

The most important thing for me to remember is that these forms of escapism should only really act as a temporary buffer so I can get some breathing room and gather my thoughts, before eventually returning to the real world and trying to confront whatever issues I'm having.

So what about you? Do you tend to have any games or genre of games you go to when you want to escape for a bit?

TL;DR - What is a game/genre of game that you tend to go to when you need a break from real life for a bit so you can have a minute to breathe?

5 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

TL;DR - What is a game/genre of game that you tend to go to when you need a break from real life for a bit so you can have a minute to breathe?

i like the TL;DR, it sums up the huge sentence done >.>, also reminds me of how i do my threads xD

im actually, somewhat in a sad state of mind at the moment, due to failing phlebotomy again (killlll meeee ahhh), but obtaining a overall passing grade, that i feel isn't worth, couse cmon, simple phlebotomy, and i still fail ?, just off me

so right now, since my besto friendo is still at work, i will most likely just play any time of games that'll distract me, usually those that really distract me are games that have a sort of "dating-sim" mechanism, or "management" of sort (e.g. "Teaching Feeling", though its also R18, so i guess usually R18 games ?)

but when i really feel bad, and i mean, bad bad, so bad that im mad, i tend to go to games such as League of Legends, or GTA-styled games, anything that lets me go on a havoc, usually its LoL, since its already on my PC

a horror game can work too, since when im sad, being dragged into a world full of scare, somewhat wakes me up, and tends to make me forget what i was thinking, which is a way of escapismn, sure, but you gotta agree, those jump scares can make anyone forget bad things that are happening >.>

hmmm a game I use to escape sadness, or depression. That would probably be my go to for escaping reality itself which is Minecraft. Minecraft is very relaxing, and time consuming without being to much overall effort so it can easily distract one from their feelings. Plus it is right up there with doki doki in my favs so that helps.

Neither of us is really the type to get like that, but when she’s tired, Imo will sometimes play Thomas Was Alone, which is a story driven puzzle/platformer indie game. It’s all about A.I. rectangles working together to try and escape the confines of the levels, but they put a ton of effort into giving them all personalities and development. Clair the big blue square has an inferiority complex because she’s fat, until she realises that she has the super power to swim through water and actually has some worth to the team. John the long yellow rectangle is really egotistical because he can jump the highest, until he meets Sarah the small purple rectangle who has a double jump, at which point John realises he’s absolutely nothing special. It even has a decently developed romance. It’s an excellent game that we definitely recommend.

• 1 month later...
On 10/9/2018 at 10:40 AM, Beocat said:

Stardew Valley for me.  It always used to be a harvest moon game...but Stardew Valley has really captured my heart in the past few years.  I can play it forever... 

Now that I think about Harvest Moon is honestly another really good game for bribing the mood up. I have only played the frost one though.

Personally, I go to games with upgrades or levels:

Games like Guitar Hero, Geometry Dash, and Ori and the Blind Forest are games I play to make it as hard for me as possible. When I finally pass a section/level, I get ultra euphoric, often to the point of where I can’t play the game after because it took so damn long or so many tries. By that point I usually don’t care what kind of a day I had and go back to being “normal” (not really, sucking all the adrenaline out of me makes me tired and woozy)

Other games I play just mellow me out after having a rough day or when I’m not ultra sad are games that are easier - newer Mario games, Diablo 3, Reccetear (a really quirky but awesome item shop game), Sonic, etc - generally things with shorter, less skill-based levels and things to upgrade. [I do have one exception to this category though - the original LEGO Star Wars 2. I love the game except for one part- the stupid multiplier extras. I want to complete it to 100% so bad but the amount of time I’d have to spend collecting studs is insane. That would probably be my go to for escaping reality itself which is Minecraft. 

On 10/9/2018 at 12:19 AM, ArchieKun said:

That would probably be my go to for escaping reality itself which is Minecraft. 

Also super relaxing for me - IF I don’t have to worry about dying. (I swear creative mode saved that game for 

On 10/9/2018 at 8:40 AM, Beocat said:

Stardew Valley for me.  It always used to be a harvest moon game...but Stardew Valley has really captured my heart in the past few years.  I can play it forever... 

I love Stardew, but after a while it got repetitious for me. It reminds me of the hundreds of hours I put into Animal Crossing...

38 minutes ago, rd7 said:

Personally, I go to games with upgrades or levels:

Games like Guitar Hero, Geometry Dash, and Ori and the Blind Forest are games I play to make it as hard for me as possible. When I finally pass a section/level, I get ultra euphoric, often to the point of where I can’t play the game after because it took so damn long or so many tries. By that point I usually don’t care what kind of a day I had and go back to being “normal” (not really, sucking all the adrenaline out of me makes me tired and woozy)

Other games I play just mellow me out after having a rough day or when I’m not ultra sad are games that are easier - newer Mario games, Diablo 3, Reccetear (a really quirky but awesome item shop game), Sonic, etc - generally things with shorter, less skill-based levels and things to upgrade. [I do have one exception to this category though - the original LEGO Star Wars 2. I love the game except for one part- the stupid multiplier extras. I want to complete it to 100% so bad but the amount of time I’d have to spend collecting studs is insane. That would probably be my go to for escaping reality itself which is Minecraft. 

Also super relaxing for me - IF I don’t have to worry about dying. (I swear creative mode saved that game for 

I love Stardew, but after a while it got repetitious for me. It reminds me of the hundreds of hours I put into Animal Crossing...

I would agree on that survival mode is the last thing from helping sadess rather it mostly brings frustration. Though creative mode in Minecraft is great to play when I am feeling depressed. Helps me feel accomplished at times to.

• Like 1