multiple dialogue game's

XII360

DragonAgeInquisition-2014-11-28-21-06-17-511 (1).png

i've always been a fan of games, where you were given freedom to choose how to react to a type of scenerio, be it sarcastic (looking at you fallout), serious, or flirtingly, and almost always played such games to the max (i.e playing its side quests and such)

but yea, what are some of the games you've played, where you get multiple dialogues, that can, or cant change the fate of the story of the game, but nonetheless, gives you a choice of what the Main character will say to another NPC/choose what he will do in a type of scenerio/event ? 

for me, i've actually played allot of those types of games, (e.g. mass effect, dragon age inquisition, persona series, fallout, tell tale games, fate/extra etc etc,), but who know's, i might not know some "super secret gem-like games that have such functions"

also, doesn't matter, if the dialogues doesn't really change the story, just knowing if theres a function, where it lets you choose how to react, is pretty much what gets me in the game (i.e tell tales, "your choices matter", or "they will remember that", pshh, yea right >_>, but its still hella fun to play)

what about you !?, what are the fun games with player-dialogue-choices that you know of, and or loved ?, lets have a fun discussion below~

Let me start with Indigo Prophecy (kind of horror) which was the forerunner of Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls.  It actually initiated the "time limit to respond" questioning, actions, and responses. Based off of your actions, you could make things easy or difficult for various characters. Some might even leave the investigation early based on your choices. What you chose to do changed things along the way and some of the endings as well. It also had an "Adults Only" version though I never had the opportunity to play it. Some hated it (especially the sex scene later in the game if you activate it) but I really loved it. 

Legaia 2 immediately springs to mind as well. You play as the ultimate silent protagonist who can react to various situations as you please (for me it was hilarious. Better to play as a wimp instead of the cool guy if you want to laugh a lot). The fighting was fun but the minor fluctuations in the story from your choices really made it memorable to me. 

And it wouldn't be the month of Halloween if I didn't gush about Okage! Every choice matters. Your shadow is supposed to reflect your personality (a small shadow may mean you are timid and villagers change how they respond based on it) and there are real world consequences to your actions (for example, being respectful and listening to an elder drone on and on all night because you were too timid or nice to say, "pops, I just don't care about your heyday" may cost you the chance to experience the festival and all its choices and delights! There is a lot to choose in this game which makes it highly replayable.

Star Ocean Till the End of Time had plenty of choices between characters as well. I was a Champion of the Prime Directive and ended up alone in the end LOL.

Dot hack games utilized an email system for player choices...but if you picked something that the other character doesn't like it ends the chain. I don't think that it does much more than increasing your immersion in the game through the interaction and helping you learn more about the other characters but it was still very nice to have.

And last on my immediately coming to mind list is the classic Steambot Chronicles. That game is a true rare gem. So you play as amnesiac with a harmonica Vanilla who washes up on shore...  the story revolves around Steambots but outcomes vary depending on your choices and which battles you win or lose. You also get titles that change daily based on your current profession, activities, and personality and your title changes how some people view you. If you spend days in the quarry for fossils, you might get the penniless miner title,  but nights in the cellar bar playing the piano for tips might get you a piano related title. The bots are fun to drive and upgrade, the large variety of side quests are fun to pursue and the music and various instruments are fun to collect and play (which can get you lots of tips). You even have romantic interests (note the plural). It's a gem that a lot of people missed for sure. You have some dialogue choices and others based off of certain one time events.  Makes for s fun game :)

• Informative 1

4 hours ago, Beocat said:

Let me start with Indigo Prophecy (kind of horror) which was the forerunner of Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls.  It actually initiated the "time limit to respond" questioning, actions, and responses. Based off of your actions, you could make things easy or difficult for various characters. Some might even leave the investigation early based on your choices. What you chose to do changed things along the way and some of the endings as well. It also had an "Adults Only" version though I never had the opportunity to play it. Some hated it (especially the sex scene later in the game if you activate it) but I really loved it. 

And it wouldn't be the month of Halloween if I didn't gush about Okage! Every choice matters. Your shadow is supposed to reflect your personality (a small shadow may mean you are timid and villagers change how they respond based on it) and there are real world consequences to your actions (for example, being respectful and listening to an elder drone on and on all night because you were too timid or nice to say, "pops, I just don't care about your heyday" may cost you the chance to experience the festival and all its choices and delights! There is a lot to choose in this game which makes it highly replayable.

i-i might try these two, since you mentioned "IP" is a forerunner of heavy rain, im expecting allot from it, i incidentally, really really liked heavy rain, and how it was told, 10/10 for me (especially cutting finger scene, brutal, but loved it >.>)

okage is on 50/50 for me, but it looks pretty interesting, so i may give it a spin

as for dot hack/star ocean, already played them, so go figure, (yet to play SO5 though, couse, #nops4)

steambot, graphics-wise, reminds me of one game made by atlus... i just cant remember the title, but i had the disk before and played it >.>, just cant remember the name, (and semi lazy on searching for its title >.<)

• Like 1

Games that do dialogue options right tend to have more replayability to me, but these days I think I just prefer games that just give me some scripted dialogue. I've played a bit too many games with the "LOOK WE HAVE MULTIPLE CHOICES AND MULTIPLE ENDINGS" thing and it feels like it's gotten old for me, and I don't feel like a lot of recent games have done it that well for it to continue to be engaging (Fallout 4 was a big example of this when it came out and still is in my opinion - terribly dumbed down).

The game that did the whole dialogue options with different outcomes thing the best for me were the first two Mass Effect games. I would explore all the options under the "investigate" tree to get as much info on things as I could and then decided how I wanted to respond. The third one didn't do the dialogue (or anything else) as good as the first two though.

Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls have been mentioned, and while I enjoyed Heavy Rain (though it definitely wasn't great) I didn't feel like Beyond Two Souls did anything particularly well, especially with the dialogue options. Then again I have trouble remembering a lot of Beyond because it was a very unmemorable experience for me.

I know it's said a lot online, but the Witcher 3 was such a joy to play in my experience playing it.

I ended up playing it twice so far and made different decisions to see how certain chartacters's fates changed and I even got a different ending my 2nd time through. The writing and story isn't mind blowing or anything, but the characters and their interactions are so well done that it keeps you engaged and wanting to see what happens next.

I also feel that all the decisions not only have weight behind them, but make sense when you think about who Geralt is and his values you soon become acquainted with. You can't do stupid stuff since it isn't an RPG like Skyrim, but that's okay since it's Geralt's story to share and it's a fantastic one.

This reminds me, I gotta finish the Blood and Wine dlc lol.

• Agree 1

Since you hadn't heard of Indigo Prophecy...had you heard of KOTOR (Knights of the Old Republic)  Jade Empire, or Baldur's Gate? Bioware for a while cornered the market on player led dialogue and choices. Made lots of good games that way too. 

I think you won't be disappointed in Indigo Prophecy. It definitely is going to lead you to a place you didn't realize you'd go... and it starts with murder....

Even going farther back is the Shenmue series (where are you Shenmue 3?). 

I really enjoy games that let you do as much or little investigating as you like and anytime my choices matter, I get far more attached to the game. I was in love with Indigo Prophecy. It has choices galore ^_^

On 10/3/2018 at 12:29 AM, RubberJohnny said:

Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls have been mentioned, and while I enjoyed Heavy Rain (though it definitely wasn't great) I didn't feel like Beyond Two Souls did anything particularly well, especially with the dialogue options. Then again I have trouble remembering a lot of Beyond because it was a very unmemorable experience for me.

Yeah, Beyond had that problem and I think it was the time jumping. If they had allowed a linear progression prior to beating the game, it would probably have made a bigger impact. 

Not the type of game that I see in here, but I used to play a wrestling game Smackdown vs Raw back in the day. The player had the choice on certain things, like which belt you want to fight for, or things like if you want to surprise attack someone back stage, and even which girl you want to date. 

I played the crap out of it and whenever I finshed story mode, I would start again until I went through all the different scenarios. Good times.