What features in game have you grown tired of?

Are there any features in games that you have become sick of and just can't stand anymore?

Here's an example: I'm sick of crafting in games. I have to groan anytime I play a new game and I realize it has a crafting system. I've lost count of the amount of games I've had to play now where I have to spend so much time just running around collecting stuff just to get some decent gear, or to even continue in some cases. Crafting was enjoyable for a long time and there's still some games that I don't mind it in, but for the most part I can not stand crafting mechanics anymore. Just let me get on with the game, please.

Developers trying to add RPG mechanics or upgrade systems into everything is getting on my nerves too.

So, how about you?

Well, not exactly a feature and more of a gaming genre? But first-person, I don't like very much at all, it makes me feel dizzy at times and is so annoying that you cannot see to your sides. Like come on, do people in FP games not know how to side-eye? 

I don't like the often failed attempt to complicate battle systems, or to pretend they are complicated. Xenoblade 2 is a good example of that problem. Games are so desperate to try and do more than you have just mashing buttons or holding them down, that they try and make their combat seem deep, by adding in elements, or something like that as if it makes it better and it often fails.  

1 hour ago, SAO LILDOOP said:

do people in FP games not know how to side-eye?

Tracking where the user is looking, called "foveal tracking" would also help in non-game applications like telepresence.  One of the big complaints about things like using a webcam for teleconferencing is that the users never seem to be making eye contact with each other.  In a typical setup with a webcam mounted above or next to your screen, if you're looking at your screen then to the other member(s) of the conference it looks like you're staring somewhere else and not paying attention.  To make it look like you're actually looking at the other members you would have to look at your camera lens, which of course means you're NOT looking at the image of the speaker (or powerpoint slide, etc.).  Actors are trained to look AT the camera for this very reason, to connect with the viewing audience.  There have actually been attempts to build video cameras into the center of screens to help with this effect.  That doesn't work well for a variety of reasons.

This doesn't get much better in current VR setups either.  They can tell where the head is and where it is pointed, then render that information into the scene correctly, but that's not quite enough.  Your avatar in a VR meeting room might have a head and eyes, but typically the eyes are rendered to appear as if the user is looking straight ahead.  This tends to give everyone a sort of fixed-stare look, and make VR meeting rooms seem full of creepy zombie-like people who can only stare straight ahead.

FV is an active area of research for the VR crowd for performance reasons as well.  VR requires high resolutions and 90 FPS is the *minimum* if you don't want to risk bad effects like motion sickness.  That's a lot of pixels updated very rapidly, but you really don't need to render at full resolution over the whole screen.  Your eyes can only appreciate that level of detail in the relatively small area of the screen that you're actually looking at.  As you move away from that area out towards your peripheral vision the level of detail required drops drastically, at least in terms of resolution.  If the computer could somehow know where the user is looking then it could spend a lot of time updating only those pixels in the part of the screen that is currently being looked at and spend less time on the rest.  That could cut down on the overall processing requirements, which in turn can help with things like weight of the headset, increasing battery life, increasing screen size for larger field of view, etc.

If you have foveal tracking then that not only has the benefits of lowering the compute requirements for rendering the frame/scene, but if the computer knows where your eyes are pointing as well as where your head is pointing then it can also render the eyes pointing independently of the head.  Suddenly that VR meeting room seems filled with actual people who appear to make eye contact and actually be paying attention, instead of just a bunch of zombies.

• Agree 1

Yeah, crafting has become somewhat old. Unless it's actually an RPG like Skyrim, then it's just unnecessary. Also kind of ridiculous sometimes. There's a lot more that goes into crafting an arrow than just gluing some feathers onto the end of a stick.

Something that we're not fond of actually is open worlds. Either they feel kind of empty, and just a necessary part of getting from point A to point B, or they're unnecessarily cluttered, with a cave of bandits every 20m. We find that they end up subtracting from the enjoyment of the game by either just making it boring, or breaking the sense of realism.

Multiplayer

Games that have been and are generally directed toward single players don't need the useless garbage and wasted development time (that could've been spent increasing the value of the games assets or debugging the game) that multiplayer takes. It is clunky at best in games that are traditional SP games (RPGs for instance) and historically SP audiences don't magically convert to MP fiends! Bah humbug to MP garbage (and it steals my trophies so my complete game looks incomplete!)!

I enjoy crafting and open worlds. Romance also does not have to be in every game. Some games it just makes no sense. 

@the_twig  ~swats at your feathers on a stick~

3 minutes ago, Beocat said:

Multiplayer

Games that have been and are generally directed toward single players don't need the useless garbage and wasted development time (that could've been spent increasing the value of the games assets or debugging the game) that multiplayer takes. It is clunky at best in games that are traditional SP games (RPGs for instance) and historically SP audiences don't magically convert to MP fiends! Bah humbug to MP garbage (and it steals my trophies so my complete game looks incomplete!)!

Oh god, forgot about this one. Can we have some kind of singleplayer resurgence please? They just tend to be better games. Multiplayer games normally skimp on quality because playing with another player makes up for it. We do single person things as two people all the time though, so we don't care.

4 minutes ago, Beocat said:

@the_twig  ~swats at your feathers on a stick~

~Puts a random piece of cloth we found in a bottle that is conveniently filled with oil, lights it with a lighter that we conveniently found, and throws it at you~

• Agree 1

For me one feature, or function I hate in gaming is a poorly excited camera system. Nowa days this is mostly an issue with FPS games. This was especially true in the retro games of N64, PS, GC, and even some PS2 games I've found. One more recent game series that I have gotten into Gears of War has this issue all over the place. Not so much in the heat of battle per say thankfully, but during the exploration portions. I know in some parts its that way on purpose to scare you, or make it hard on purpose, but still is annoying.

• Agree 1

Turn based fighting; I am sick of developers putting it into their games. Who in their right mind takes turns during fighting? (Okay, I landed a hit so now hit me with all you got) No... I was so happy when Final Fantasy XV got rid of it. 

Another one is that whole selecting an option kind of battle (in games like Dragon Age and the old Star Wars: KotOR). 

What I'm saying I guess is that if the fighting is other than freestyle I normally don't find myself playing it.

• Like 1