Lets talk about Quamtum Mechanics

Geano

So the science club needs some good deliberation. So I thought I'd start this topic. :)

So as the title says lets talk about it amongst ourselves. What do you guys think of it, do you think it is crazy, maybe it dose not make sense, or maybe it dose.

For me I understand how it works like how a adam can be in 2 places at once, and hhow they behave differently when observed as to when they are not being viewed.

So what do you guys think about how all this works.

• Like 1

The quantum world is a question in itself, it's one of my favourite topics. What fascinates me about quantum mechanics is mainly the fact that particles appear and disappear almost instantaneously, at any given moment in time in any region of space. Would you imagine if this was on a larger scale, being in your room and a chunk of material from far far away spawns only to disappear when you try to look at it? Wait... perhaps this really explains why you sometimes experiene a very quick flash in your sight, or when you look at something you thought just moved, but there was nothing there...
Aah, this is so complex.

About atoms behaving differently when you look at them or not, that's another completely different question, similar to the cat in the box paradox. Technically, with the information quantum mechanics gives us, we can predict every single action and event that will take place in an atom, even if we're not looking at it, so that point is still sort of unclear to me.

• Agree 2

33 minutes ago, Roxeg said:

The quantum world is a question in itself, it's one of my favourite topics. What fascinates me about quantum mechanics is mainly the fact that particles appear and disappear almost instantaneously, at any given moment in time in any region of space. Would you imagine if this was on a larger scale, being in your room and a chunk of material from far far away spawns only to disappear when you try to look at it? Wait... perhaps this really explains why you sometimes experiene a very quick flash in your sight, or when you look at something you thought just moved, but there was nothing there...
Aah, this is so complex.

About atoms behaving differently when you look at them or not, that's another completely different question, similar to the cat in the box paradox. Technically, with the information quantum mechanics gives us, we can predict every single action and event that will take place in an atom, even if we're not looking at it, so that point is still sort of unclear to me.

I know right I love how all this works, and it would be pretty interesting to see this appear/disappear phenomenon happen on a larger scale. Though if it did that means things could more, or less spawn inside our bodies, or as we walk right in front of us causing us to ram right into them. Though it is also true at the sub-atomic level there is more empty space then anything else so that is likely why is is happening. I honestly think it is all the particles, and their adams along with this so called empty space that really makes all of us as well as other objects in the world up. This is especially true if you look at this from a scale relativity perspective.

• Like 1

So neither of us is exactly an expert in quantum, however one of us is a chemist. As far as we understand it, the two places at once thing is not 100% accurate. Instead, when you look for something in a place where it could theoretically be, it is there, and when you look for it in another place where it could theoretically be, it is there.

Something that a lot of people don't understand is that quantum mechanics is effective on the particular level. We're talking single electrons. Even molecules are too big.

One of the more interesting properties of particles is quantum tunnelling. That basically means that a particle can pass through an energy barrier that it should not be able to break. Imagine you throw a tennis ball at a wall. It bounces off because it does not have enough energy to break the wall. Now if you shoot a cannon ball at the wall it goes straight through, because it has enough energy to break the barrier.
With a particle, even if it doesn't have enough energy to break the barrier, there is still a non-zero probability of it passing through. There are multiple explanations for this, but one that we particularly like is the 4th dimensional particle one.

To explain this, we're going to drop down to 2D vs. 3D, because 4D objects are exceptionally hard to visualise.
Imagine you are a 2D person throwing a 2D tennis ball (circle) at a 2D wall (line). It will just bounce off of the wall. Drawing in the spoiler below.

image.png.5dbd9f0441120e1dff342b634fbe6c65.png

If however you were a 3D person throwing a 3D tennis ball (sphere) at a 2D wall (line), you could just throw it around/over the wall. Image in the spoiler below. To a 2D observer, it would look like you had just thrown a 2D tennis ball (circle) through a 2D wall (line).

image.png.942e66064adea06644b83df42980050e.png

This same property also works if you scale up to 3D vs. 4D. A 4D tennis ball (hypersphere) can go around a 3D wall (cuboid) by simply stepping into the 4th dimension.

It does however bring up the interesting suggestion that we are 3D observers made of 4D particles passing linearly through 5D time.
  • Like 1
  • Winner 1

36 minutes ago, the_twig said:

So neither of us is exactly an expert in quantum, however one of us is a chemist. As far as we understand it, the two places at once thing is not 100% accurate. Instead, when you look for something in a place where it could theoretically be, it is there, and when you look for it in another place where it could theoretically be, it is there.

Something that a lot of people don't understand is that quantum mechanics is effective on the particular level. We're talking single electrons. Even molecules are too big.

One of the more interesting properties of particles is quantum tunnelling. That basically means that a particle can pass through an energy barrier that it should not be able to break. Imagine you throw a tennis ball at a wall. It bounces off because it does not have enough energy to break the wall. Now if you shoot a cannon ball at the wall it goes straight through, because it has enough energy to break the barrier.
With a particle, even if it doesn't have enough energy to break the barrier, there is still a non-zero probability of it passing through. There are multiple explanations for this, but one that we particularly like is the 4th dimensional particle one.

To explain this, we're going to drop down to 2D vs. 3D, because 4D objects are exceptionally hard to visualise.
Imagine you are a 2D person throwing a 2D tennis ball (circle) at a 2D wall (line). It will just bounce off of the wall. Drawing in the spoiler below.

Hide contents

If however you were a 3D person throwing a 3D tennis ball (sphere) at a 2D wall (line), you could just throw it around/over the wall. Image in the spoiler below. To a 2D observer, it would look like you had just thrown a 2D tennis ball (circle) through a 2D wall (line).

Hide contents

This same property also works if you scale up to 3D vs. 4D. A 4D tennis ball (hypersphere) can go around a 3D wall (cuboid) by simply stepping into the 4th dimension.

It does however bring up the interesting suggestion that we are 3D observers made of 4D particles passing linearly through 5D time.

Fascinating explanation, this is why I've got to love chemistry and physics... Also, you may want to edit your post, because it's set so only staff can see it, and how write in here without joining the club? (^ω^)

1 hour ago, Roxeg said:

Fascinating explanation, this is why I've got to love chemistry and physics... Also, you may want to edit your post, because it's set so only staff can see it, and how write in here without joining the club? (^ω^)

The "Only staff can see this message" thing is there because we edited it. The end was cut off for some reason. It just means that only mods can see that the post was edited, which is default. As for posting without joining the club, we didn't even realise that was a thing. Maybe it's just cool mod powers. Either way, we've joined now.

8 minutes ago, the_twig said:

Maybe it's just cool mod powers. Either way, we've joined now

It depends on the permissions set, as to what mods can and cannot do, and it makes sense for you guys to be able to do something like that, considering the responsibilities you have.

Anyway, Quantum Mechanics is something that I am not too familiar with, though the term is not exactly foreign, so I had to look it up, and it seems surprising that people think Einstein was involved in its creation, even though he was skeptical enough of Quantum Theory at the time to think that it should not be a foundation for the future fundamental physics.

best thing that I could dig up on Einstein and Quantum Theory is the link below.

https://www.pitt.edu/~jdnorton/teaching/HPS_0410/chapters/quantum_theory_completeness/index.html

• Like 1

12 hours ago, the_twig said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Dang that honestly helped me understand it a bit more thank you. :)

Now the question I have for everyone is if you see a particle in a place it theoretically should be is there ever a time where it isn't there, or is that the universe saying we have a ready made building blocks just in case.