CrunchyRoll/Funimation Partnership Ending

Ohayotaku

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-10-18/funimation-crunchyroll-end-content-sharing-partnership/.138330

Effective 11/9.  List of affected titles forthcoming. HiDive taking Funimation Now's spot on VRV

I was going to cancel my Funimation subscription when it ran out next month, but guess I'll keep it after all. I'm glad Funi will make the subtitled versions of more of their series available on their site since that's my preferred way to watch, but I really don't like Funimation Now's site navigation :(

Edited by Ohiotaku

Good to know this dose not surprise me though. Funimation has been a bit up, and down with how they want their content viewed over the years. I personally am a subbed person as well so it dose not really effect me, but for those that like dubbed definitely wanna keep an eye on this development.

Will be sticking with Crunchy, and maybe even going as far to get VRV when HiDive joins.  Joining VRV was a good move by HiDive as they have been bombarded by people to make apps for like 2 years now, and VRV has an app for a lot of the platforms requested.  I feel like this is really bad for Funimation, as while they do have Sony backing them, even Amazon wasn't able to make a dent in the market really, plus HiDive has their deal with Sentai.  I do feel like this was a good deal for Crunchyroll's parent company as well as the demand for more subs is much higher than dubs, and their deal with Funimation really wasn't providing much on that end.

The big problem with Crunchyroll/FUNimation’s parternership was that all these titles Crunchyroll had access to were only available in North America, and people were hoping that Crunchyroll’s catalog would get bigger, when it did not.

If FUNimation starts putting up more subs because of this, aside from the new SAO, I would be fine with it, as the subs are at least readable, whereas NIS America seems to like using subs that are too small to read.

So by the looks of it, this is basically Funimation wanting to chip in to the non-JAP, non-USA market. That's a good thing, because the libraries for legal streaming outside of those two countries are significantly smaller. If they can start releasing BDs in region 0, that would be even better, because a lot of subbed stuff is only available in region 1.

5 hours ago, drill said:

I feel like this is really bad for Funimation, as while they do have Sony backing them, even Amazon wasn't able to make a dent in the market really

A fairly significant chunk of that was the ridiculous pricing scheme and relatively poor library. While we don't know the details of their post split library yet, FUNi doesn't have as much of a price issue, and should still have a decent library. Even better if they do indeed start licensing globally.

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly a point did not think about when I first saw this topic is. How much anime in terms of dubbed anime is going to be lost from crunchyroll as a lot of it was from Funimation. It really is to bad. I mean I mostly watch subbed anyway, but still a blow to community as a whole.

• 4 weeks later...

So after ending their partnership with CrunchyRoll, it looks like Funimation is making a deal with Hulu who apparently intend to add 20+ new anime series in the coming year

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-12-04/funimation-hulu-sign-first-look-streaming-deal-for-new-anime/.140359

Edited by Ohiotaku

20+ new series added sounds good, but hulu is far from ideal choice when it comes to streaming services. They have gotten a bit better then a few years ago though so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Granted I've watched more than 20 new anime series this year, but only about a dozen of them stand out as something special & a number of them were Funimation licenses. Then you look at some of the most anticipated series of the coming year (the new Fruits Basket series, One Punch Man season 2, Mob Psycho season 2, A Certain Scientific Railgun season 3) plus potential new seasons of My Hero Academia & Attack on Titan which are Funimation licenses. Add that to a couple hundred anime series that were already on Hulu when I was a subscriber a couple years ago, and there's potential there for them to become a real factor.  And then there's this comment from the article:

Starting in 2019, Hulu will get first pick on Funimation's new titles in the United States, so Hulu and Funimation will be the only U.S. streaming outlets for some of Funimation's simulcasts and simuldubs.

I don't plan on cancelling my CR premium membership & signing back up with Hulu anytime soon, but I'm definitely interested to see which titles wind up on which sites in the coming year. Hopefully CR can at least pick up some of Sentai's new series.

Edited by Ohiotaku