Spring - Fall 2018 Anime Recommendations

Leo_Sandoval115

Question

Hello All!

I am looking for new stuff to watch from recent releases (Spring - Fall 2018). I have not been able to catch up with the new releases, aside from the obvious Goblin Slayer, and would appreciate new stuff.

I am open to any genre.

Thank you!

PS: For anyone that is knowledgeable in anime expos, events, stores, etc: Any events occurring in Italy or England in the following months would help 😣

4 answers to this question

My faves from that time period: Megalobox, Golden Kamuy, Hinamatsuri, Planet With, Gegege no Kitaro, Asobi Asbobase, Hinomaru Sumo, Xuan Yuan Sword Luminary, Ms. Vampire who Lives in my Neighborhood.

If you're willing to go back to the winter of 2018, watch Yuru Camp & A Place Futher then the Universe which are probably my favorites for the whole year

SSSS.Gridman is friggin awesome.

Episode 1 is 90% references to the live action shows of the tokusatsu genre (big dudes/mechs vs. Kaiju/giant monsters) so don't be put off by any clunky CGI or ugly monster designs, they entirely did that on purpose. Episode 2 onwards really embraces the fact that it's anime and you get some rather cool stuff going.

Obligatorily mentioning that this is definitely not the coolest thing I could have shown off lol.

So the best anime that's come out in that period, we believe to be High Score Girl. It's a romance series about some kids growing up in the 90s (and when we say that, we mean that they actually grow up. It spans the entire 10 year time period) and playing arcade games like Street Fighter II, Slaughterhouse, Virtua Fighter, and Streets of Rage. And yes, they actually licensed the actual games, there is proper gameplay footage when they're playing, and they show off actual glitches and infinite combos and stuff. It's one of those anime where you really need to get to episode 3. The first two are definitely good, but 3 is where you really see what the series is all about.

Other than High Score Girl, we'll recommend Hinamatsuri (a heartwarming comedy about a lazy psychic who everyone hates, and a bunch of other, far more endearing characters), Megalo Box (a fairly standard underdog story done really well in a cool setting), Hisone to Maso-tan (a girl joins the air force and they give her a pet dragon instead of a plane), and Bloom into You (one of the rare well done yuri romances).

Of these, Bloom into you is still airing, and High Score Girl is getting a 3 episode finale in March 2019.