If you were stuck on an island...

rd7

I ran across this question while looking through one of my old notebooks:

“If you were stuck on an island and you had 3 things with you, what would they be?“

I’m guessing this is just an old activity one of my elementary school teachers made us do to take up time, but it kind of intruiged me. It’s an in-context way to think about what things you truly love the most. After thinking about it for a while, I made some guidelines to truly emphasize the meaning of the question -

A) You have a stable supply of food and water, and other basic essentials (Shelter, fire, etc.)

B) You are going to be stuck on this island until you die. Means of escape or communication are futile.

C) You are alone on this island.

What would you bring? 

FB433DD4-4354-458E-BB73-49AE78B34A98.thumb.jpeg.3672d6a4217d8cf2f78c2344f84fe048.jpeg

• Like 2

So I already have shelter and a steady supply of food(and probably a hunting weapon, too?)

1.Pictures of family and friends.

2. Large collection of books.

3.A Wilson brand volleyball.(tee hee)

This is quite difficult. What are yours @rd7?

4 hours ago, ArchieKun said:

Its a old game, butt a fun one at that. I would have the following.

A Pick Ax

A set of cloths

A palm tree farm for a renewable food supply.

You said butt!

• Funny 1

43 minutes ago, BurnsyCEO said:

A gun so I can shoot myself

You got your wish but forgot to ask for bullets....

Hmmm....  I suppose I would bring books to read, a copper still (I could probably make some banana shine or brandy),  and an awesome telescope for nightly pursuits.  After watching Alone, I know pictures of family can be too cruel to have at times.

I'm guessing @efaardvark might bring an axe (for chopping wood), a pickaxe, and a blank map....might be a real Minecraft adventure :) am I right?  Truthfully, one of my favorite Minecraft worlds turned out to be a single tiny island surrounded by a vast ocean. It was challenging to say the least. Your screenshots make me want to play more Minecraft lol. It just is not as much fun playing alone.

16 minutes ago, brycec said:

I will bring a knife, a backpack, a lighter, and maybe some books.

You could use the books for something to do, or as a last resort as fire fuel though I hate the idea of book burning. myself.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ArchieKun said:

You could use the books for something to do, or as a last resort as fire fuel though I hate the idea of book burning. myself.

Yeah, I could. I would not want to burn them either, because there would not be too much to stimulate me when I attempt to cook things, or try to make jerky.

Knife would be the most versatile for me.

• Winner 1

1 minute ago, brycec said:

Yeah, I could. I would not want to burn them either, because there would not be too much to stimulate me when I attempt to cook things, or try to make jerky.

Knife would be the most versatile for me.

Definitely gotta agree with you there. It can be used for all sorts of things from carving tools, to cutting food for consumption, and the like. If you were able to make other tools could almost make a house. Now this is starting to sound like minecraft.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ArchieKun said:

Definitely gotta agree with you there. It can be used for all sorts of things from carving tools, to cutting food for consumption, and the like. If you were able to make other tools could almost make a house. Now this is starting to sound like minecraft.

I was thinking I could use it to fish too, since fish rods give me troubles, but yeah I could probably find a ton of ways to use it.

I am laughing about the Minecraft bit. Right now, I am imagining punch trees, like in the South Park episode involving Minecraft.

• Funny 1

1 minute ago, brycec said:

I was thinking I could use it to fish too, since fish rods give me troubles, but yeah I could probably find a ton of ways to use it.

I am laughing about the Minecraft bit. Right now, I am imagining punch trees, like in the South Park episode involving Minecraft.

Funny you say that as fishing in Minecraft is hardly enjoyable. Its annoying in every way just like real fishing. I hate fishing, but I love eating fish. :) Plus being trapped on a island is it is close to a reef which most are then you can have a good source of protein from the ocean.

1 hour ago, ArchieKun said:

Funny you say that as fishing in Minecraft is hardly enjoyable. Its annoying in every way just like real fishing. I hate fishing, but I love eating fish. :) Plus being trapped on a island is it is close to a reef which most are then you can have a good source of protein from the ocean.

I tried fishing once, and it was boring too, but pretty much every way of getting food is boring in some way.

Still, it is more feasible than figuring out how to use a bow one-handed, and I do not need to worry about the poison or other complications quite as much as plants.

42 minutes ago, brycec said:

I tried fishing once, and it was boring too, but pretty much every way of getting food is boring in some way.

Still, it is more feasible than figuring out how to use a bow one-handed, and I do not need to worry about the poison or other complications quite as much as plants.

Well ya fishing is still easier then hunting and a lot more safe to since less chance of being mailed or whatnot. Though that depends on your island, and if there is even game to hunt.

On 11/9/2018 at 10:01 PM, Nono said:

This is quite difficult. What are yours @rd7?

Mine would be -

[If I needed to survive:]

1. A tablet full of books, videos, and music on it (thank you NGNL)

2. A solar-powered portable charger and cable for my tablet (also thank you NGNL)

3. A sharp machete (cuts through anything)

[If I could survive without things I bring:] 

1. A large supply of spices and sauces (so I could flavornup my food on the island)

2. A massive music collection and some way to play it repeatedly (I’d also say a good pair of hwafphones, but that’d be asking for too much)

3. A large warm blanket (to curl up in when I get cold or tired)

And for entertainment purposes; my original 3 responses from my question back from when I was in elementary school were:

1. Chocolate

2. A basketball

3. Friends (I don’t know if I filled it out right after I transferred or not.If it was, the list feels so depressing because I didn’t have any 😆)

• Like 1
  • Cute (Kawaii) 1

I suppose I would bring my collection of Tolkien books, followed by my drawing books, and finally my Halloween costume from this year, with some real knives 
(ㆆᴗㆆ)

• Funny 1

5 hours ago, Roxeg said:

I suppose I would bring my collection of Tolkien books, followed by my drawing books, and finally my Halloween costume from this year, with some real knives 
(ㆆᴗㆆ)

At least the outfit will keep you plenty warm at night plus the books should give you something to do. I suspect you'll tire of them having to read same ones over, and over though.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ArchieKun said:

At least the outfit will keep you plenty warm at night plus the books should give you something to do. I suspect you'll tire of them having to read same ones over, and over though.

You are absolutely right.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Roxeg said:

You are absolutely right.

Well you could use the books for fuel like I mentioned earlier, but then you'd have nothing for entertainment and they would not burn forever.

9 hours ago, ArchieKun said:

Well you could use the books for fuel like I mentioned earlier, but then you'd have nothing for entertainment and they would not burn forever.

Oh, I misread it.
No, I wouldn't tire of reading them again and again and again. I guarantee you that.

36 minutes ago, Roxeg said:

Oh, I misread it.
No, I wouldn't tire of reading them again and again and again. I guarantee you that.

I suppose thats trie in my case too. I can watch or read same things many times and not get board. At least it would give you something to do besides listen to the ocean.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ArchieKun said:

I suppose thats trie in my case too. I can watch or read same things many times and not get board. At least it would give you something to do besides listen to the ocean.

No, you can also talk to your buddy, Wilson.

• Funny 2