Do you watch the same anime series more then once?

Geano

As the title says do you like watching a anime series that you have already seen more then once, or even over and over.

For me I fall somewhat in the middle on this spectrum so to speak. I like watching series I really like more then once over, and over again. Though with that said there are some mostly the shorter newest series that just seem to lack re-watch value at least a lot of the time. For me some examples include, Yu Yu Hakusho, dbz, Fruits Basket, No Game No Life, P4A, Inuyasha, Yugioh DM, Pokemon season 1.

There are more of course, but thats a few I can think of right now. So what about you guys? :)

Sometimes I do.  It depends on the anime though.  Sometimes an anime isn't even worth finishing the first time.  :)   Sometimes the anime is complicated or layered though and a rewind or second run through will let you catch stuff you missed.  Serial Experiments Lain for example.  Some stuff I'll watch a second or even a third time from a different perspective.  I watched the first bit of SAO 3 times (don't judge), switching my brain each time between programmer, player, and game master.  I watched Hanasaku Iroha the second time just to look at the background artwork.  (If you haven't seen it in HD or on BR it is worth it, at least if you're into that sort of thing.)  Sometimes I'll be in a certain mood or frame of mind and reexperiencing a particular anime/book/movie/etc. that complements that mindset just seems like a good way to spend an afternoon.

Edited by efaardvark
  • Like 1

Yep, but it depends on the kind of anime I am watching. When I really, really, REALLY, like a series, I re-watch it, say, about seven times or so. Also, re-watching an anime is a great way to find details you missed before. It also gives you a chance to look at an anime from a different perspective. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, efaardvark said:

Sometimes I do.  It depends on the anime though.  Sometimes an anime isn't even worth finishing the first time.  :)   Sometimes the anime is complicated or layered though and a rewind or second run through will let you catch stuff you missed.  Serial Experiments Lain for example.  Some stuff I'll watch a second or even a third time from a different perspective.  I watched the first bit of SAO 3 times (don't judge), switching my brain each time between programmer, player, and game master.  I watched Hanasaku Iroha the second time just to look at the background artwork.  (If you haven't seen it in HD or on BR it is worth it, at least if you're into that sort of thing.)  Sometimes I'll be in a certain mood or frame of mind and reexperiencing a particular anime/book/movie/etc. that complements that mindset just seems like a good way to spend an afternoon.

Very well said I agree that often a series is worth at least a couple viewings to see things you may not have taken in the first time. This is even more true since you then have at least some opinion of the series so you are subjective yes, but this can help as much as it can hinder respectively.

7 minutes ago, AniMeFReaK said:

Yep, but it depends on the kind of anime I am watching. When I really, really, REALLY, like a series, I re-watch it, say, about seven times or so. Also, re-watching an anime is a great way to find details you missed before. It also gives you a chance to look at an anime from a different perspective. 

I agree on this as well. If the series is something I just fell in love with then ya its getting watched a lot though if not then its going in the ol storage mentally if nothing else.

• Like 1

Like everyone so far, I have to really like the series. I usually buy DVD box sets of those, but I have bought DVD sets of other series I have yet to re-watch. The ones I have re-watched to date include: FT, OP, Eyeshield, Major, Slayers, Hajime no Ippo, AtLA and Korra(not categorized as anime, technically), Gurren Lagann, Your Lie in April, Sailor Moon Crystal(go back through it because I forgot some of the nuances of the story), and Boku no Hero.

I've honestly never rewatched an entire series, but I definitely do like to go back and watch certain episodes and scenes where I either think I missed something, they have great depth, or I just really really liked.

One of my favorite episodes ever is when Goku goes ss3 for the first time, I lost track of how many times I've seen that one, it's pretty dope.

Plus this👇

image.jpg

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

Sometimes, but like the pic above says: Too much anime.... 

If I rewatch an anime, its usually some short series with 6-12 eps, very rarely a longer one and only if I really, really like that show like FMA:B or the likes.

I do however sometimes take one of the long running series like Detective conan and watch some older eps for nostalgia's sake or catch up on some new ones (doesn't count as rewatching though)

I tend to only rewatch the anime's that really left an impact on me when I first watch it.  I like to wait at least a year before rewatching unless I have an urge to rewatch it at some point because I want to relive the feelings I had when I first saw it, and as more time passes, the less I remember about how it felt to watch the anime.

There are exceptions where I rewatch something that didn't leave a huge impact on me.  These anime's are usually ones which I hear someone talking about and think to myself "I haven't seen that anime in a long time...  What even happened in it?" or something like that.  If I remember that the anime wasn't good at all, naturally I wouldn't go and rewatch it.

Anime's that I've rewatched at least more than twice include Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Spice & Wolf, Toradora, Steins;Gate, Guilty Crown, Shakugan no Shana and Code Geass.

• Agree 1

Depends, if the show was like mind-blowingly amazing (Death-note, Higurashi), then yea I would watch it again; like a day after. 

SAO being my fave anime, I watched it 3 times within like 2 years. :) 

If the show was just really good, I would watch it again in a few years. 

• Like 1

Depends. I can watch Log Horizon a hundred times and never be bored or annoyed. Same goes for the Matsumoto anime and Crest/Banner of the Stars. Other stuff...not so much. If I enjoyed it on an average level it would be a very infrequent rewatch (Fate Stay Night for example). The greater the enjoyment, the more I'd be willing to rewatch it.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, leinwandname said:

Sometimes, but like the pic above says: Too much anime.... 

If I rewatch an anime, its usually some short series with 6-12 eps, very rarely a longer one and only if I really, really like that show like FMA:B or the likes.

I do however sometimes take one of the long running series like Detective conan and watch some older eps for nostalgia's sake or catch up on some new ones (doesn't count as rewatching though)

Oh damn I mean I love Detective Conan with all my heart, but I don't know if I could watch all of it. I mean maybe with breaks. On the other hand I do find myself rewatching certain episodes of it from time to time. Though that would be a fun challenge. to see if one could watch the entire thing.

8 hours ago, Kuramura said:

I tend to only rewatch the anime's that really left an impact on me when I first watch it.  I like to wait at least a year before rewatching unless I have an urge to rewatch it at some point because I want to relive the feelings I had when I first saw it, and as more time passes, the less I remember about how it felt to watch the anime.

There are exceptions where I rewatch something that didn't leave a huge impact on me.  These anime's are usually ones which I hear someone talking about and think to myself "I haven't seen that anime in a long time...  What even happened in it?" or something like that.  If I remember that the anime wasn't good at all, naturally I wouldn't go and rewatch it.

Anime's that I've rewatched at least more than twice include Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Spice & Wolf, Toradora, Steins;Gate, Guilty Crown, Shakugan no Shana and Code Geass.

That has happened to me on more then one occasion as well. In my case it was with dbz, and Inuyasha. I have seen those particular series at least 10 times each in order. They seem to have a slightly different impact on me each time. This is even more true with Inuyasha.

7 hours ago, Beocat said:

Depends. I can watch Log Horizon a hundred times and never be bored or annoyed. Same goes for the Matsumoto anime and Crest/Banner of the Stars. Other stuff...not so much. If I enjoyed it on an average level it would be a very infrequent rewatch (Fate Stay Night for example). The greater the enjoyment, the more I'd be willing to rewatch it.

Thats a very fair point :)

7 minutes ago, brycec said:

Depends on the series, but a lot of the anime I have on Plex are ones I would likely watch again.

I would think so since they aren't eating up your hard disk for nothing. ^^

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ArchieKun said:

Oh damn I mean I love Detective Conan with all my heart, but I don't know if I could watch all of it. I mean maybe with breaks. On the other hand I do find myself rewatching certain episodes of it from time to time. Though that would be a fun challenge. to see if one could watch the entire thing.

Ah, I meant that I would take some eps, let's say 4-10 (DC often has two to three eps per case)and watch them - rewatching the entire thing is kinda .... time consuming <.< I mostly rewatch the important eps, which were important for character development (like when they were in London, or Ai`s first appearance) and often skip the fillers, even when I watch the new episodes. (Unless I have nothing to do on a day, then I might watch the fillers)

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, leinwandname said:

Ah, I meant that I would take some eps, let's say 4-10 (DC often has two to three eps per case)and watch them - rewatching the entire thing is kinda .... time consuming <.< I mostly rewatch the important eps, which were important for character development (like when they were in London, or Ai`s first appearance) and often skip the fillers, even when I watch the new episodes. (Unless I have nothing to do on a day, then I might watch the fillers)

I don't think the word consuming can properly describe the time needed for that series. Though yes I see what you mean, and I do the same as there is just so much to watch plus a lot of it is filler anyway.

When it comes to other anime series I often find myself watching random eps of the older anime like Pokemon, or Yu Yu Hakusho more then watching them in their entirety. I watch things in order more with newer series these days. The newest series I have rewatched is No Game No Life.

3 hours ago, ArchieKun said:

I don't think the word consuming can properly describe the time needed for that series. Though yes I see what you mean, and I do the same as there is just so much to watch plus a lot of it is filler anyway.

When it comes to other anime series I often find myself watching random eps of the older anime like Pokemon, or Yu Yu Hakusho more then watching them in their entirety. I watch things in order more with newer series these days. The newest series I have rewatched is No Game No Life.

I haven`t rewatched any newer series recently, the "newest" was Cowboy Bebop during the summer, if my memory serves well. XD 

5 hours ago, leinwandname said:

I haven`t rewatched any newer series recently, the "newest" was Cowboy Bebop during the summer, if my memory serves well. XD 

Oh wow that one is mid 90s. I enjoyed it though I have seen it 3 times give or take. I have not watched it recently however.

I usually have to be in a mood for rewatching shows in general, and typically comes around when there is a lack of good airing stuff, or not completely invested in a video game.  There really isn't a method of how I rewatch stuff, but anything that listed higher than an 80 on my list usually gets a rewatch eventually as well as anything with magic and/or isekai.  Currently rewatching Gate, Outbreak Company, and K-On.  Really wanted to start rewatching Steins;Gate, but Steins;Gate Elite is coming up and looks amazing (plus portable if on Switch), so can't really decide if rewatching now would hurt the experience or not.

• Like 1

What a fun question!

I, honestly, don't rewatch a lot of animes unless it's a movie. Some I have seen many times is Nana and Sailor Moon. I'm either introducing a female friend of mine or just having a nostalgic phase. I also have rewatched Robotech and Gunda Wing/00 once. 

There are a number of series I would like to go back & rewatch in their entirety (The original Cardcaptor Sakura & all seasons of Slayers are just a few examples that come to mind), but I simply don't have time (maybe when (if :P) I retire :lol: 

I do go back and re-watch specific episodes sometimes (usually from something fun like Azumanga Daioh) if I need something to make me smile/relax/put me in a better mood.

• Like 1

It depends on how I felt about the show. I split this in to 3 categories of things I rewatch- 

1. Shows I absolutely love. Oregairu, K-On! and Aria are all shows I could watch over and over and never get tired of them.

2. Tearjerkers. Clannad, Angel Beats!, Anohana and Toradora I’ve rewatched to some degree (some episodes I just skip cause I can’t stand em). The feeling of absolutely loving a character and then watching them fail or get degraded never gets old and (for some reason) I always want more.

3. Fun, background shows. Quick, fun shows you don’t necessarily need to focus on are always amazing to rewatch. Short shiws like One Room and Tsurezure Children are always fun to rewatch because they are just that short. Other shows I add into his category are Baka to Test and Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san. Both are funny yet sweet and aren’t dark in any way. 

On 11/11/2018 at 12:07 PM, drill said:

I usually have to be in a mood for rewatching shows in general, and typically comes around when there is a lack of good airing stuff, or not completely invested in a video game.  There really isn't a method of how I rewatch stuff, but anything that listed higher than an 80 on my list usually gets a rewatch eventually as well as anything with magic and/or isekai.  Currently rewatching Gate, Outbreak Company, and K-On.  Really wanted to start rewatching Steins;Gate, but Steins;Gate Elite is coming up and looks amazing (plus portable if on Switch), so can't really decide if rewatching now would hurt the experience or not.

I honestly really like how you go about this Ryuji it seems to be a really good system. It ensures you see many new things while enjoying what you have seen plenty.

16 hours ago, Persona said:

What a fun question!

I, honestly, don't rewatch a lot of animes unless it's a movie. Some I have seen many times is Nana and Sailor Moon. I'm either introducing a female friend of mine or just having a nostalgic phase. I also have rewatched Robotech and Gunda Wing/00 once. 

Yah I thought it would be a fun one so far I have really enjoyed reading this topic. :) I think also now that I have had a little more time to think rewatching anime or anime movies is best with a group of people where is by oneself not as fun.

16 hours ago, Ohiotaku said:

There are a number of series I would like to go back & rewatch in their entirety (The original Cardcaptor Sakura & all seasons of Slayers are just a few examples that come to mind), but I simply don't have time (maybe when (if :P) I retire :lol: 

I do go back and re-watch specific episodes sometimes (usually from something fun like Azumanga Daioh) if I need something to make me smile/relax/put me in a better mood.

The first CCS is amazing, and it certainly dose have much rewatch value just from how well it is done. I have only seen Slayers once though.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ArchieKun said:

I honestly really like how you go about this Ryuji it seems to be a really good system. It ensures you see many new things while enjoying what you have seen plenty. 

I think being mistaken for Ryuji is a first xP  But yeah, glad you like my system. ^^

2 minutes ago, Wedgy said:

I think the only anime series I have watched more than once in its entirety has been Wolf's Rain, Mongolian Chop Squad, and more recently Madoka Magica. If we venture outside anime the list would get much longer (don't ask me how many times I've read Harry Potter.) 

Beyond that I'll sometimes rewatch a certain episode I liked, but most often the reason I don't care to rewatch ma g anime series is because of all the episodes I didn't care so much for. I would skip them. 

I love LOVE Wolf's Rain and Beck! Two classics I've seen a couple of times! I'm like so excited someone mentioned those shows. 

5 minutes ago, Persona said:

I love LOVE Wolf's Rain and Beck! Two classics I've seen a couple of times! I'm like so excited someone mentioned those shows. 

Wolf's rain is fricken amazing hands down, and certainly has a lot of rewatchabilty for me too along with Spice & Wolf.

• Like 1