Do you play a musical instrument?

rd7

While I was in K-12 I played the Viola from 3rd grade until I graduated HS. I honestly love classical music when I'm feeling lost or confused. It's an amazing way to re-center oneself. Even though I was a miserably bad player.

I picked up Guitar in the 11th grade and I find it really fun to do once in a while. I try to learn songs I played on the Viola on the guitar and often succeed at getting some of the melodies down. I found a way to transcribe the music I've learned onto multiple instruments by mostly using the tones of the notes. I'm far from perfect at it though.

I learned how to read all three clefs used in the basic setup of Orchestra's I've been in. I can read treble clef: guitar/piano/violin, alto clef: viola, bass clef: Cello/Upright Bass/Piano. I love all of the theory courses I took in the time from when I was 16 until I was 20. Not many, but I learned alot.

5 hours ago, rd7 said:

Do you play a musical instrument? If so, which one and for how long? 

Feel free to talk about your instrument(s) and why you love it if you wish. 

nope, never played one before, and i dont understand the notes they do, even when it was thought to us in grade school xD

but i do like guitars, the way guitarists play and make some sound is, nice (unsure if vocalists are counted as a "musical instrument", i feel its not..as its a human being, so im going with "guitars")

i liked guitars as far as i started liking JP songs (which is...like 7 years ago or so ?, i wasn't into music before xD)

Used to play Flute as a child, now playing the Violin since I was 9 - although, I haven't played much the last 6 months ... was a lazy summer and didn't have the time before (just like now).

Really, the feeling of playing it just satisfying, the smell of rosin on your bow and the feeling just getting the sound right after you've practised a hard piece for some time is what I like the most. Ofc, the sound too, but I like the sound of a piano more, honestly, but playing the piano felt kinda weird when I tried it once....

I have been told by many including some voice teachers in school that I can carry a tone well so I am in no way tone def. Though the only instrument for music I have ever played is the harmonica. So nothing to be to proud of really.

Working on learning Piano. I intend to practice a lot this winter (If my hands don't go numb from cold, lol); piano is my favorite instrument, it sounds beautiful. Once I finish learning Piano, I wish to learn how to play the Violin, because that is my second favorite instrument ever. 

I do not play a musical instrutment however I admire and respect those that do, I wish I could play the guitar or the drums if I had the time but these days I'm pretty busy. 

I used to play the piano, but haven't in years. Last time I tried I found out my hands & fingers aren't nearly as flexible as they used to be (had to cheat a bit with some of the reaches) 😝

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Ohiotaku said:

I used to play the piano, but haven't in years. Last time I tried I found out my hands & fingers aren't nearly as flexible as they used to be (had to cheat a bit with some of the reaches) 😝

Oh I have always wished I had those kinda skills. I love piano music, or even covers with a piano. Far as cheating at the music goes I say long as it sounds good then thats what matters.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I used to play bass guitar. Played a lot in High School, then took at hiatus for about 5 years. Got back into it for about a year, now I Haven't played in 3 years >_> pretty much have to relearn the notes and everything besides rhythm haha. Oops

• Like 1

I play guitar and keyboard.
Mostly electric guitar, occasionally acoustic. I really want to get a seven string one someday.
I haven't played keyboard in a while, should really pick that up again.

Edited by dirudiru
  • Like 1
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

• 2 weeks later...

I used to play the piano and was pretty decent. Then at some point I ended up with a piano instructor who completely took all of the joy out of it for me. Ultimately I got burnt out and just stopped.

I could also play clarinet, but never loved it like I did the piano.

• Like 1

i played as a first chair trombone for four years throughout school, but two years ago i bought an electric guitar i haggled down in price from a creepy old guy at a festival.

recently replaced its strings with power slinkys

im getting kind of good at it, but i wish i could afford some effect pedals. you just dont get that professional oomf in a guitar without them 😥

• Like 1
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

20 hours ago, cowboy said:

effect pedals. you just dont get that professional oomf in a guitar without them 

I'm kind of in the same boat. I have a wah pedal, but really want something like a delay and a chorus.
Also a distortion pedal, to get that extra oomf you mentioned. The gain in the amps is nice, but I want to get a little extra 'bite'.

What is the guitar you got?

• Like 1

@Seshi hahaha! 😂

ive had the money several times but something always comes up every time i try to go buy it. a bill payment goes through so the order gets canceled after ive already ordered it, or i gotta use the money for gas and food. been trying to order it for myself for my birthday the past two years

its so frustrating 😤

• Sad 1