What anime listing site do you use?

drill

I use Anilist (surprise, surprise, its not like its in my signature or anything :P). Anyway, I'm more interested in which site other people use, and why.

In case you don't have an anime listing site, I would suggest to find one as they are really helpful. Here are some links to get you started:

anilist.co <- Newest and most modern out of the three, with a nice and small community.

hummingbird.me <- Attempts to replicate Facebook. Has a larger community than Anilist, but not too large that you feel overwhelmed.

myanimelist.net <- Oldest, and largest out of the three in terms of community and database. You will probably find yourself lost if you don't find a club to join.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't updated my MAL since March 2013 which was when I went on anime hiatus. @_@

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Optic14

It's still referencing the old AN Community fansite as well, will need to update it soon. >_<

AniList and Hummingbird look amazing for cataloging your anime lists. BUT I much prefer the forums on MAL, despite it looking dated. The forums on AniList and Hummingbird are too minimalist for my liking.

I haven't updated my MAL since March 2013 which was when I went on anime hiatus. @_@

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Optic14

You need to watch more anime Optic xD If there is anything you see on my list, feel free to ask about it.

AniList and Hummingbird look amazing for cataloging your anime lists. BUT I much prefer the forums on MAL, despite it looking dated. The forums on AniList and Hummingbird are too minimalist for my liking.

You know, you could use AniList or Hummingbird and just use the forums on MAL, after all, you haven't updated your list for nearly two years (and both sites have a MAL importer). :? If not, I could try to dig up one of my old Stylish themes that made MAL look more modern than both of them.

EDIT: I found it, and here is a screen of what it looks like:

59e216b092ccd_OrganizeDiscussDiscoverMyAnimeList_net.thumb.png.5aeea02cd61f7d8d7c5a47197782d010.png

I have both an anilist and a MAL account, and I use them for different things. I think the lists and profile stuff is superior on Anilist, but I prefer the forums and other features of MAL much more than anilist. Unfortunately, I cannot remember my anilist password and can't get it replaced, either, :(

EDIT: Nevermind. I guess the site must have been glitching out the last time I tried, because it just let me log in.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

MAL. People tell me that the design is outdated but as far as I'm concerned it's a bastion of decent web design in the modern landscape of gimmicky form-over-function web 2.0 sites. It's also certainly true that their SQL is constantly broken but it's shortcomings make it more personable, look an old car.

• 1 month later...

At this point, the main reason I use MAL is mostly because I see no extreme equivalent to the recommendation section of MALgraph, because I can see specifically all the anime I didn't watch that is related to anime that I did watch, all on 1 page.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I use Anime-Planet, and I was going to say that I've not updated it for a while, but when I was on, I thought "might as well", so have updated it, well, with what I can remember anyway (some of it's a guess), and decided to like Makoto Harada, as she needs "love", if Anime-Planet are classing her as a minor character in Space Battleship Yamato 2159!

I picked Anime-Planet, because I found it was less addictive than MyAnimeList, I mean when I was looking at things on MAL, I'd be suggested "series x, and manga y", and I just found myself falling down a rabbit hole of suggestions!

It seems that Anime-Planet might have gone that way too, whilst I've been away, they used to give you a "My life spent on anime" signature, which was cool, I went for a complimentary theme, with my avatar being of Gunbuster 2 (Diebuster/Aim for the Top 2), whilst the signature being of Gunbuster (Aim for the Top)!

I also have an account with anidb, as it seems they changed the way their site works, so you can't access everything as a guest, unfortunately I forgot what the password was, but I hadn't done much with it anyway, got banned to many times, for opening too many pages!

Edited by Guest
  • Agree 1

• 1 year later...

I used a german listing site back then in 2k14 which also offered streams of the certain animes but due to lazyness, i stopped. I rarely use listing sites because i'm having a folder for such stuff, it's quite a mess there tho, i should take into consideration to make an account in MyAnimelist.

• 2 weeks later...

I poked around a bit with MAL, but found it to be a bit more bothersome than I'd like to deal with when it comes to making a large number of changes all at once. As a result, I never bothered with any listing sites until @Cy~ stumbled upon Anime-Planet, who's name I recognized from a group of Direct Connect hubs I used to frequent eons ago.

Compared to MAL, I've found editing my anime list on Anime-Planet to be quick, easy, and fairly low friction enough that I actually keep my list more or less up to date without it feeling like a chore.

• Like 2

I use MyAnimeList and have been actively updating it ever since I first used it in 2010. I used to use Hummingbird, but I got too lazy to update two lists at once. I also used Anime-Planet, but a third anime list was even more out of the question.

In terms of interface, I found MAL to be the most comfortable, especially when it lets me change the theme appearance of the list to make it look prettier and nicer. Hummingbird and AP have no such options AFAIK, sticking with their plain white default look, which is always a bore to look at. Just another reason why I didn't bother updating my lists there.

That being said, I'd pick A-P's signature over MAL any day if I am using A-P in the first place. MAL's signature sucks and couldn't update the list properly. The one you see below is a screenshot, not the actual dynamic list.

I use the the listing service over at Anime Planet, simply because it's prettier.

I found MyAnimeList to be really hard to figure out, and even after contorting myself into a pretzel, I made absolutely no progress in learning how to use it. This isn't necessarily a knock against them; instead, it's more evidence of my own lack of interface savvy. Whenever possible, I like whatever I'm using to be friendly and fully intuitive. Of course, for something to be intuitive, it needs to be easy enough to use that I can use it while drunk and everything works just fine... Or something like that. :o

I found MyAnimeList to be really hard to figure out, and even after contorting myself into a pretzel, I made absolutely no progress in learning how to use it. This isn't necessarily a knock against them; instead, it's more evidence of my own lack of interface savvy. Whenever possible, I like whatever I'm using to be friendly and fully intuitive. Of course, for something to be intuitive, it needs to be easy enough to use that I can use it while drunk and everything works just fine... Or something like that. :o

I started out that way and have been using the default black-color theme for many years. It's not till recent years that I learned that there are very user-friendly guides on MAL that teach you how to update your themes with HTML and stuff. It's not really that difficult IMO, and this is coming from someone who still has trouble using bbcode sometimes.

That said, I do understand the desire for something to be fully intuitive. I admit that MAL can be bothersome that way. I guess it's just one of those "You use what you're most used to" kind of thing, kinda like someone using subs over dubs because he's used to it.

• Like 1

I'm the opposite to Cy~ lol. For whatever reason, I couldn't make heads or tails of Anime Planet (it is very pretty though), but I picked up MAL just fine! I've been using MAL ever since lol

As Orius says though, that's probably more to do with using what we're used to ^-^

• Like 1

Actually, now that I think about it, Anime-Planet's interface was a bit... clunky, IIRC. I didn't like how bulgy the icons looked.

But this is before they've updated the interface, it seems. I've checked Anime-Planet again a moment ago, and it seems they've adapted the more sleeker and smoother look certain MAL custom themes have with big thumbnails of the anime titles. Check my list out for example to see such a custom theme. It's definitely an improvement from what I saw before 3-4 years ago.

• Like 1