Living with the 'rents.

Nono

Anybody else here live with their parents? Why or why not?

I do. At 28, some people say I'm smart, others that I'm immature. I think it's a little of both. 

Funny thing is though, the people who give me flak for it, are usually people who don't have that option so they're probably a little jelly. Or maybe that's just me trying to justify it, lolz. 

What about you?

When I lived with my folks, it was fire and brimstone! Thank goodness I've been emancipated for over a decade now. ---3 them, but they abused and were cruel to me.  I forgive them, but they will no longer be in my life, trying to ruin it. #Survivor

I live with my fiance in a apartment we have been living together for 2 years now, and are very happy. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with living with your parents. I tend to vview it as a situational type thing. Now days its hard to fully make it on your own in most countries. In truth its all about whats covenant for you at the time.

8 hours ago, Nono said:

Anybody else here live with their parents? Why or why not?

I do. At 28, some people say I'm smart, others that I'm immature. I think it's a little of both. 

Funny thing is though, the people who give me flak for it, are usually people who don't have that option so they're probably a little jelly. Or maybe that's just me trying to justify it, lolz. 

What about you?

i live with my parent's, specifically with my dad and brother, that's mainly because, i dont really have any reason to be "independent" at the moment ?, not like i have a girlfriend or something to be an "independent" person, and even then, i feel it would be kinda rude to my family if i just, up and left them ?

"ill pay for your school tuition" - dad/mom

"oh i finished school, time to leave my family alone and start my own life now ^_^" - me

feels, kinda rude, when i think of it like that ?

(im also, 21yrs old now ;o)

Live with my parents right now, but intend to move next summer. Having your (social) entire life due to uni and friends from the uni in the city while you live in some dump 40 mins away (with the train from the city - not counting the time it takes from the train station to somewhere in the city) is a bit annoying... But first I'd have to get a job during summer and a job I can do while studying so that I'm not broke after half a year...

I'm 17, so yea, I am still living with my parents. However, I will be gone in a couple years I believe, once I get my bachelor's degree I plan to go to Japan for an English teaching job. :) It has always been a dream of mine to live in Japan, so I am hyped. 

2 hours ago, SAO LILDOOP said:

I'm 17, so yea, I am still living with my parents. However, I will be gone in a couple years I believe, once I get my bachelor's degree I plan to go to Japan for an English teaching job. :) It has always been a dream of mine to live in Japan, so I am hyped. 

Dream big, that's awesome!

14 hours ago, Wedgy said:

I've been on my own since I was 16, I'd say I'm pretty independent. Even before then I was doing a lot for myself and contributing to the bills with my job. I was homeless for half a year pretty much lived on my friends' couches and out of my car, would not recommend. When I was 18 I moved over a thousand miles away from home and settled in with a man I'm still happily in love with today. I wish I'd stayed with my mom longer but things just didn't work out that way. I don't think any less of people living with their parents into adulthood, because there are so many reasons they might do so be it simple family culture or actually being the caregiver in the household. Hopefully they are not taking advantage of their parents' willingness to let them stay and are able to contribute to the house in some form or another (if they are able.) I know if the situation arose for me I would take care of my mom no questions asked, and I think she would do the same for me if the need arose. 
There are a lot of cultures where it is very common for a family to continue living together even after the kids are grown. Those of us growing up in western societies however will know the opposite is true and you're encouraged to split from the nest at the age of majority. If you're over 18, you'll know that even though the law considers you an adult… you're still just a kid at 18 and being on your own for the first time can carry with it some wicked turbulence. So to those of you who might be staying with your folks, maybe working a job or going to college, or both, saving some money… you're smart. 

Some of my coworkers make less money than I do, and they're on their own, so I know I could do it if I needed to, but it just seems unnecessary. 

Culture, that's got a lot to do with it. My parents were born and raised in Mexico, and if it were up to them, both my brothers and their wife and kids would be living with us.

3 hours ago, Shift said:

You spend a lot less money living with your parents especially if you're not paying rent.

Word. My parents house is paid off, but I chip in about $1000 a month for my rent, groceries, billls, which even then, still leaves me with plenty of expendable income. I make sure to try and save my money though, they've been talking about retiring and going back to Mexico, and I tell them they might as well sell the house then. I'll be alright.

Edited by Nono
  • Like 1
  • Friendly 1

I currently own a home, but I am 28 with a five yeard old and a husband. Back then I was out the door by the age of 18 due to the home situation with my mother at that time. But if I had the opportunity to stay living at home, I would have taken it. It is pretty common now for most people to live with their folks up until their late 20s due to school and other financial goals/obligations. It's smart to save up and be ready for the cruel world of adulting. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

My sister did this for 2 years after she graduated as a teacher. No rent, she made my parents pay her back for groceries (even the stuff she bought for herself),  and mooched on them when they ate out and all. Also got to use their maid as her maid to clean ger room snd do her laundry.  She cleared enough money after her first year on the job to pay for a new car with cash.  Effective...but it got old with my mom after a while.

I did not. Would have been nice to save up more money for a house first but oh well. That's life.  I got married pretty quickly after I graduated and I'm happy with that life with him. 

10 hours ago, Beocat said:

My sister did this for 2 years after she graduated as a teacher. No rent, she made my parents pay her back for groceries (even the stuff she bought for herself),  and mooched on them when they ate out and all. Also got to use their maid as her maid to clean ger room snd do her laundry.  She cleared enough money after her first year on the job to pay for a new car with cash.  Effective...but it got old with my mom after a while.

I did not. Would have been nice to save up more money for a house first but oh well. That's life.  I got married pretty quickly after I graduated and I'm happy with that life with him. 

Your sister👇

image.jpg

• Funny 2

For many years now I've lived with my mom, one of my brothers, and his fiancée.  I'm coming at this from the older-person end however.  My mom is in her 80s, has had one heart attack already, and is not quite able to live on her own anymore so that's why I'm here.  She also could not afford to keep this place on her income alone.  My mom is long since retired and the only things she does is some of the shopping and 2 or three days a week she cooks.  Shopping is because her official class is "shopper" with a sub-class of "coupon queen" .. she has fun with it and I couldn't stop her if I tried.  Cooking because she also loves to cook and if I did it we'd all be dead due to food poisoning.  :D  Aside from that I'm adulting like everyone else.  I work to pay "rent" (which goes towards property taxes and utilities), and I do my own laundry, cleaning, etc. pretty much like I would if I were in my own place.  The house even has a separate bedroom + bath apartment that I live in.  (In the original, architectural sense of "apartment" meaning a set of rooms set off from the rest of a building.)  I could afford my own place, but I feel that this is a good arrangement for all concerned, and frankly this is probably a nicer place than I could afford on my own, especially here in SoCal.  There's a lot of other benefits to the arrangement too - like the 10-minute commute to work - that I could list.

In a larger-picture sense - if I might be permitted a minor political rant - I think it would be a good thing overall if more people stayed/came together as extended families, since this can be very resource-efficient.  Most countries, especially "western" ones like the US get this very, very wrong, IMHO.  They are all about consumerism.  The Fed tracks "new household formation" as a key economic metric, where more is better.  New households mean more houses built, more appliances and cars sold, etc., etc.  The economy has to grow at an exponential rate or Bad Things happen.  They "target" 2% GDP growth - aka inflation - but they'll certainly take more if they can get it.  10% inflation?  Awesome!  You want to see a bankster go white, tell them deflation is coming.  Needless to say that's a formula for disaster.  You simply can't have never-ending exponential economic growth based on a finite resource base.  It is mathematically impossible.  Especially if your economy is based on consumerism!  Eventually that sort of nonsense will collapse, probably taking most of the environment with it. </rant>

To be sure, there's some people who just don't get along with their parents/children/siblings.  That's to be expected.  It does help a LOT if everyone involved is reasonably tolerant and industrious, which unfortunately not everyone is.  Dependent relationships are inherently unhealthy.  Obviously, best results are obtained when all family members can function independently on their own but choose to live and work together for mutual benefit.  But the default here in the US of dumping the kids out on the street on their own in their late teens or early 20s to fend for themselves just makes it needlessly hard on everyone, IMHO.  If you can all get along and career, etc. allow for it, I see nothing wrong with living with your extended family.

On 11/13/2018 at 7:08 AM, Shift said:

You spend a lot less money living with your parents especially if you're not paying rent.

Even if you are paying rent.  Prices around here are insane.  Rent is over $1,400 for even a 1-room apartment.  Even a tiny 1-bed, 650 sq.ft. condo costs nearly $400k to buy, which works out to about $2,438/month when you add up HOA, property taxes, etc.  My mom's 3-bedroom place is paid for, so all we need to cover is property taxes and utilities.  Even including a budget for maintenance (it is an old house) AND utilities on top of that, splitting the household costs 4 ways is only $350 each.  That's easily about $1k/month I'm not spending by living with the 'rents.

• Like 3

Truthfully all depends on your background of growing up in and the situations and hardships within your life. One hand you've got individuals who are older living with their parents but not mooching off of them they contribute to help out regardless or they are helping their parents because the parents can't take care of themselves, and on the other hand you've got individuals who take advantage of their parents by mooching off them or simply downright total taking advantage of and not helping out at all. It's like a fifty fifty toss up, I lived with my mom still until I recently moved not only to help her out financially but also cause I couldn't afford my own place so I think it truly depends on the situations. 

Edited by Sassy
  • Agree 1

I live with my parents (well, I'm only 13 so I dont have so many optionsXD) even though I always wanted to move to an art boarding school, but the studies there are really expensive ... Right now I plan to do a bachelor's degree like everyone else and then go to study in the United States for a master's degree .

3 hours ago, TheNekoGirl said:

I live with my parents (well, I'm only 13 so I dont have so many optionsXD) even though I always wanted to move to an art boarding school, but the studies there are really expensive ... Right now I plan to do a bachelor's degree like everyone else and then go to study in the United States for a master's degree .

For 13 you have thought far ahead, I've finished school and I still don't know what I want to do.

• Like 1

I'm kind of embarrassed that I'm 22 and still live with my mom. I do pay rent and share some of the chores, but I have coworkers my age that have been on their own since their teens and I feel somewhat envious over how mature they seem. Admittedly my life would be a lot more empty if I did move out right now.  

7 hours ago, Dis said:

I'm kind of embarrassed that I'm 22 and still live with my mom. I do pay rent and share some of the chores, but I have coworkers my age that have been on their own since their teens and I feel somewhat envious over how mature they seem. Admittedly my life would be a lot more empty if I did move out right now.  

I think maturity is what you make it. Your behavior and the way you carry yourself is up to you. If you're worried about how your coworkers see you, maybe stop going around telling them to pull your finger.

• Agree 1

On 11/17/2018 at 1:00 AM, Dis said:

I had moved out once when I was a teen for a short while. Though it was not a full move as in my parents still helped slightly though we were not getting along. I lived with my high school girlfriend at the time with her parents. Needless to say it was ideal for the most part as they hardly seemed to care what we did. We pretty much had free rain though had to buy our own food which was hard with me only working part time at that point like one or two days a week. I did end up moving back which was hard on me, and the relationship until I finally moved out again at 26 in 2016. Trust me wait till your ready no shame in that because once your on your own bills hit like a led weight.

I'm 25, and moved out 2 years ago due to issues with mom.  Up until that point, I was going to college full time, working part time, and paying rent.  After I moved out, I skipped the whole renting process, and just went for buying a house.  In 3 years, I should have about a third of the original listing price paid off, so looking forward to that. ^^  Anyway, I would say that overall though that moving out really was necessary, and has not only improved my quality of life, but my relationship with mom as well.

@efaardvark Just thought it was interesting that there was very similar pricing over where I work near DC for renting or buying a condo.

On 11/13/2018 at 7:48 PM, XII360 said:

i live with my parent's, specifically with my dad and brother, that's mainly because, i dont really have any reason to be "independent" at the moment ?, not like i have a girlfriend or something to be an "independent" person, and even then, i feel it would be kinda rude to my family if i just, up and left them ?

"ill pay for your school tuition" - dad/mom  

"oh i finished school, time to leave my family alone and start my own life now ^_^" - me

feels, kinda rude, when i think of it like that ?

(im also, 21yrs old now ;o)

I live with my fiance in a apartment we have been living together for 2 years now, and are very happy. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with living with your parents. I tend to vview it as a situational type thing. Now days its hard to fully make it on your own in most countries. In truth its all about whats covenant for you at the time.

17 hours ago, Kohloo said:

I lived with my parents when I had to. But I no longer need to, so I haven't been. Going there for New Years though :D

New Years with the parents can be fun even more so when food is provided.

6 minutes ago, Kohloo said:

Haha, it's mainly for the partying :P

Thats forsure though my parents never really liked me having parties to often when I was living there. At one point they even insisted on me going out to bars more. Now that got interesting.

On 11/26/2018 at 6:41 PM, ArchieKun said:

Thats forsure though my parents never really liked me having parties to often when I was living there. At one point they even insisted on me going out to bars more. Now that got interesting.

Oh wow, being sent to the bars haha. I grew up in a party house, my parents like being hosts!