Furuba is getting a reboot

akosdjfla.jpg.419405289cfa291baa5dd9b2df858ba3.jpg

https://comicbook.com/anime/2018/11/12/fruits-basket-new-anime-shojo/

Any thoughts on this? Seems like it's getting the FMAB treatment. I'm super pumped. I've been wanting another go at Furuba for a long time because I feel like the anime did not do justice to the source material, leaving subplots unfinished and some characters never even getting an introduction. It was my first taste of manga/anime and for that reason, it's special to me. I can't wait to see more.

19/11/18 update: full remake confirmed! (thanks Ohiotaku!) 

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-11-19/funimation-reveals-cast-staff-streaming-for-new-2019-fruits-basket-tv-anime/.139680

Edited by Wedgy
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

Well isn't this a twist of pure fate at its finest I was wishing for at the very least something new from Fruits basket, and within hours of me saying this I get two articles talking about it on a fairly serious level with great sources. :)

From what I just read they aren't being to clear as of yet weather it is going to be season 2, or a reboot/remastered season 1. Since nothing mentioning season 2 was in either source I am guessing it is a reboot which they may continue for longer going along the lines of the manga, or it will be a remastering of what we already have. I am hoping for the former if I am honest though at this point I'll take anything.

On 11/15/2018 at 9:04 AM, Beocat said:

This will be interesting....

I know exactly how you feel. I mean I want this to do so well, but at the time it has been forever since the original aired so I do not want it to be tarnished either.

On 11/13/2018 at 4:43 PM, ArchieKun said:

Since nothing mentioning season 2 was in either source I am guessing it is a reboot which they may continue for longer going along the lines of the manga, or it will be a remastering of what we already have.

With what they did to the ending of the anime adaptation, a complete remake will be necessary taking into account the goal is to follow the source material more closely. The anime adaptation ends at about volume six from the manga, of which there were twenty-three in total. If you remember, the anime ending was not even close to how the manga ended. It would be pretty difficult to pick up where the current anime left us and retcon all of the goofy differences. So I think it's almost certainly a full reboot from the top. 

• Agree 1
10 hours ago, Wedgy said:

With what they did to the ending of the anime adaptation, a complete remake will be necessary taking into account the goal is to follow the source material more closely. The anime adaptation ends at about volume six from the manga, of which there were twenty-three in total. If you remember, the anime ending was not even close to how the manga ended. It would be pretty difficult to pick up where the current anime left us and retcon all of the goofy differences. So I think it's almost certainly a full reboot from the top. 

Oh I know and quite honestly the way the forced the ending like that for the anime was stupid and quite frankly uncalled for. Just shows they were rushing. I suppose with their budget at the time as well as a smaller overall anime community fewer would take notice at the time unless they read the manga. Though I had read the manga first so I knew right away what was wrong.

My inner fangirl voice came out and shrieked. I grew up with Furuba (when it first came out) and that was the only anime I waited for with new volume releases for the manga. I really enjoyed both the anime and manga. 15 years man! I am so excited to learn more of this and to hopefully see it take the stage once more. 

Edited by Persona
  • Like 1
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1
16 hours ago, Persona said:

My inner fangirl voice came out and shrieked. I grew up with Furuba (when it first came out) and that was the only anime I waited for with new volume releases for the manga. I really enjoyed both the anime and manga. 15 years man! I am so excited to learn more of this and to hopefully see it take the stage once more. 

Yah I am not ashamed to admit I jumped in my chair after seeing this topic either. I have been waiting to long for this. Its about time if you ask me.

Some updated information. Looks like Funimation is fully behind this things US release & the story will cover the entire manga

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-11-19/funimation-reveals-cast-staff-streaming-for-new-2019-fruits-basket-tv-anime/.139680

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1
6 hours ago, Ohiotaku said:

Some updated information. Looks like Funimation is fully behind this things US release & the story will cover the entire manga

I couldn't ask for better news! It's good to see confirmation it's a full remake and it doesn't surprise me that the author herself made the request for a new staff. 

11 hours ago, Ohiotaku said:

That makes so feel so much better about this, and I am so excited now. I cannot wait for this. :) Thanks for the update. This series sounds very promising even though I will not likely watch it dubbed still good to see it will be as the first dub of it was not horrible.

19 minutes ago, ArchieKun said:

That makes so feel so much better about this, and I am so excited now. I cannot wait for this. :) Thanks for the update. This series sounds very promising even though I will not likely watch it dubbed still good to see it will be as the first dub of it was not horrible.

I actually really, really loved Laura Bailey as Tohru and wouldn't be disappointed if she voiced her again!

• Agree 1
1 minute ago, Wedgy said:

I actually really, really loved Laura Bailey as Tohru and wouldn't be disappointed if she voiced her again!

I 100% agree with that I would not mind seeing it dubbed after just for that, or maybe at least a episode or two.

7 hours ago, ArchieKun said:

I 100% agree with that I would not mind seeing it dubbed after just for that, or maybe at least a episode or two.

I'll probably watch it dubbed either way. I ain't afraid. 😛

6 hours ago, Wedgy said:

I'll probably watch it dubbed either way. I ain't afraid. 😛

I say watch however you like long as you enjoy it thats what matters.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm actually looking forward to seeing this reboot. I honestly loved Furuba minus the ending a lot. It was, truthfully, the first slice of life anime I ever watched. I loved the characters and the dynamics between them. I honestly felt empty with the way they ended the original anime series and always felt that it should be redone. I'm really glad that this is getting a proper rework that will be more faithful to the manga(hopefully).

As far as Laura Bailey is concerned, I don't mind her as a VA, but her version of Tohru was the wrong timbre and depth for the character, imho. I honestly adore her as a VA, but I couldn't watch the dub of Furuba at all. And it wasn't just because of her. The whole cast was lacking, and I'm glad to hear that a new staff was requested. I honestly think Caitlin Glass would do a great job in the same capacity she had in the American release of Ouran. I don't think she'd be a good fit for Tohru, however. I'm just really looking forward to seeing Furuba redone.

12 hours ago, KeilynLocke said:

I'm actually looking forward to seeing this reboot. I honestly loved Furuba minus the ending a lot. It was, truthfully, the first slice of life anime I ever watched. I loved the characters and the dynamics between them. I honestly felt empty with the way they ended the original anime series and always felt that it should be redone. I'm really glad that this is getting a proper rework that will be more faithful to the manga(hopefully).

As far as Laura Bailey is concerned, I don't mind her as a VA, but her version of Tohru was the wrong timbre and depth for the character, imho. I honestly adore her as a VA, but I couldn't watch the dub of Furuba at all. And it wasn't just because of her. The whole cast was lacking, and I'm glad to hear that a new staff was requested. I honestly think Caitlin Glass would do a great job in the same capacity she had in the American release of Ouran. I don't think she'd be a good fit for Tohru, however. I'm just really looking forward to seeing Furuba redone.

I agree with you fully on the voice cast chosen in the first dub. A lot of them just did not fit their roles. Such is the curse of most dubbed anime I suppose. I do think this time around things will be far more polished and way less rushed then the first time, but then only time will truly tell.

• 1 month later...

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2019-01-16/new-fruits-basket-anime-premieres-in-april/.142147

The latest update is that the series will premiere in April & will be streamed on FunimationNow. No mention of it being on CrunchyRoll & since they don't have original series either, they may miss out.  Not official word if Funi will share it with Hulu or not, but we're still 2.5 months out.

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1
1 hour ago, Ohiotaku said:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2019-01-16/new-fruits-basket-anime-premieres-in-april/.142147

The latest update is that the series will premiere in April & will be streamed on FunimationNow. No mention of it being on CrunchyRoll & since they don't have original series either, they may miss out.  Not official word if Funi will share it with Hulu or not, but we're still 2.5 months out.

Looks very promising and its good to have that update. I know what I will be doing in April, and its no joke. :) 

• 5 weeks later...

First 2 episodes of the new Fruits Basket series to premiere in US theaters sometime in March ahead of April broadcast. Details on dates & locations to be available on 02/22 when tickets go on sale.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-02-17/new-fruits-basket-anime-english-dub-brings-back-jerry-jewell-as-kyo/.143564

• 1 month later...