Odd Quirks and Habits

Nono

One of the most annoying habits I had that I was able get away from was counting my steps. Like when I was walking on a sidewalk with equal length sections, I would have to take the same number of steps before I cross into the next section. And on top of that, I would not step on the cracks and have to alternate which foot was the one that crossed the line, so I would end up taking two left steps, or two right steps to keep my pattern, which was very annoying to the people behind me.

What are some of your little oddities?

• Agree 1

I fiddle with everything in my hands be it pencils, pens, super balls, and even my own fingers sometimes. I also have been told I sometimes walk toe to heal rather then heal to toe, but I honestly do not notice. I think I switch back and forth on that one depending on my subconscious.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ArchieKun said:

I fiddle with everything in my hands be it pencils, pens, super balls, and even my own fingers sometimes. I also have been told I sometimes walk toe to heal rather then heal to toe, but I honestly do not notice. I think I switch back and forth on that one depending on my subconscious.

That seems so unnatural! Do you really walk heel to toe? I tried it and it feels super awkward.

5 hours ago, Comvex said:

I never walk on cracks. Since I was a kid I would never step on cracks in the street ,and to this day I avoid it as much as possible.

I used to avoid them too, and when I would step on one, I would get like a dissapointed feeling. I'm not sure how I grew out of it, I don't know if I became more relaxed, or just stopped caring, but either way I'm glad.

What happens to you if you step on one?

Edited by Nono

I guess this falls under "quirk".  Normally peoples eyes automatically focus on what their eyes are pointing at.  That helps the brain come up with a 3d model of the world that makes some things look closer or further away than other things.  My eyes & brain do that too.  Unless the background is repetitive.  In that case my eyes have a tendency to point at adjacent/nearby repeats of the pattern instead of the same point.  This feeds bad info to my brain, making other (non-repetitive) objects appear in a different place than they should be, at least relative to the background.  Normal people can apparently do this too, but they seem to have to work at it.  For me it tends to happen even when I don't try to make it happen.  This basically means that I can see the "hidden" image in those random-dot stereogram images really, really, quickly.  It takes me only a second or two at most to sort out any of those sorts of images.  Even autostereogram videos (like this or this) are no problem at all for me.

Unfortunately, it also means that any repetitive pattern - a tiled desktop background for instance, or a striped wallpaper pattern, or even a checkerboard-tiled floor - tends to make things appear really weird to me unless I make a special effort to point both eyes at the same point in the pattern.  On a desktop background it means that the windows usually appear to be actually floating at a different level than the desktop, either in front of or behind the level of the screen's physical surface.  The windows can even appear to change their size from moment to moment, perceptually speaking, even though they obviously don't really change size.  (It is like they drift towards me while simultaneously getting smaller so they maintain the same apparent size, or away while getting larger.  If that makes any sense.)  I always use (non-tiled) pictures for my desktop wallpaper so I can avoid the distraction this causes.  Worse, it can actually be dangerously disorienting when it is something like a tiled floor.  Imagine that the level that you appear to be walking on is NOT the level where the floor actually is.  Not as fun as it sounds!

And before someone asks, no, I don't do drugs.  Things are weird enough in here without adding artificial distortions.  :D 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Nono said:

That seems so unnatural! Do you really walk heel to toe? I tried it and it feels super awkward.

I used to avoid them too, and when I would step on one, I would get like a dissapointed feeling. I'm not sure how I grew out of it, I don't know if I became more relaxed, or just stopped caring, but either way I'm glad.

Like I said I do not notice I don't even know if I do it much anymore. I have been known to do it in the house, or someone's housee with a lot of clutter on the floor.

16 hours ago, Nono said:

Nothing after I step on one I gove up trying to avoid then ,and I walk like a normal person .

The last thing I have to do  is going to the toilet. I can't got to bed without doing this before. Like, I went to the toilet, and then realized I didn't set my alarms so I set it. Then I had to go to the toilet again even though I just went two minutes before.  I don't remember going to sleep without doing this as the very last thing. It's not like I'd wet myself or something like that (I'd never even had a problem with that when I was very little) if I didn't but I simply feel restless and uneasy....

And sometimes, for whatever reason, when I'm listening to music with earphones I whistle. Not whistling to the tune but just one notes - I think I'd otherwise fear that I'd lost my hearing to the outside world and that I'm only capable of listening to music anymore. >_>

I'd say my biggest habit is keeping a sort of "rhythm" whenever I walk which is connected with another odd habit/quirk I have of completely zoning out often times when I'm walking, this is especially true if I'm walking by myself or the people I'm walking with are quiet. I don't know why it happens or how, but I can usually only hear my own footsteps (really loud, like I'm wearing headphones that block out every other noise) and I just subconsciously start playing a rhythm in my head that follows my steps. For instance, I'll go "One, two, three." at the same pace I'm walking, or I'll just hear the sound of my steps as a sort of beat/rhythm in my head ... I'm not sure if I explained this well but I hope it came across alright.

On 11/20/2018 at 11:42 PM, Nono said:

One of the most annoying habits I had that I was able get away from was counting my steps. Like when I was walking on a sidewalk with equal length sections, I would have to take the same number of steps before I cross into the next section. And on top of that, I would not step on the cracks and have to alternate which foot was the one that crossed the line, so I would end up taking two left steps, or two right steps to keep my pattern, which was very annoying to the people behind me.

What are some of your little oddities?

Oh yeah I done did this before.. 

I have a few quirks one specifically is something that is not really something you would want to know so Ill say  a different one instead, I can/use to be able to stare at something and make my eyes sort of vibrate or move side to side fast, another is if I stare at an area long enough like a wooden wall for instance the dominate color of the wall (Brown) will completely cover me vision for a split second and all I can see is brown until i move or blink. 

On 11/21/2018 at 3:25 PM, ArchieKun said:

Oh Yeah definitely do this thats why my hand is full of ink because I fiddle with my pen.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Greeneyes said:

I have a few quirks one specifically is something that is not really something you would want to know so Ill say  a different one instead, I can/use to be able to stare at something and make my eyes sort of vibrate or move side to side fast, another is if I stare at an area long enough like a wooden wall for instance the dominate color of the wall (Brown) will completely cover me vision for a split second and all I can see is brown until i move or blink. 

That's not fair, now I really want to know!

And also, it's better to see brown than to see red!

8 hours ago, Greeneyes said:

Oh Yeah definitely do this thats why my hand is full of ink because I fiddle with my pen.

I used to draw anime on my hands, and arms as a child though my mom quickly helped curve that as she told me it was parsimonious. In truth in large amounts it can be not in a tiny amount.

2 hours ago, ArchieKun said:

I used to draw anime on my hands, and arms as a child though my mom quickly helped curve that as she told me it was parsimonious. In truth in large amounts it can be not in a tiny amount.

I used to write reminders on my hands but I slowly started to ignore them and they became useless so I stopped.

4 hours ago, Nono said:

That's not fair, now I really want to know!

And also, it's better to see brown than to see red!

So humans have the ability to regurgitate food...

• Funny 1

I count things (basically everything I encounter) in groups of 4, sets of 12. [1 2 3 4] [5 6 7 8] [9 10 11 12]. If there's only one group then I will only count 9 10 11 12. If there's only two groups, then the count always turns into 1 2 3 4, 9 10 11 12. Basically, it always has to end on the 9 10 11 12. It's not so bad anymore and is really something I only do when I'm idly waiting or if I'm walking. It used to be so bad though. I would have to painfully focus if I had to count beyond 12, and would often have to start a count over because a [9 10 11 12] group snuck it's way in where it doesn't belong. Thankfully, it's (mostly) not like that anymore.

When I'm focused or doing something like a puzzle, I make a "pop" sound with my mouth every now and again.

I've recently developed the habit of sleeping with my arms straight when I'm on my side, as opposed to having them bent. (towards the knees, not straight out lol)

I will fold a ton of origami cranes when I've got nothing to keep my hands busy or my brain focused.

6 hours ago, Greeneyes said:

I used to write reminders on my hands but I slowly started to ignore them and they became useless so I stopped.

So humans have the ability to regurgitate food...

Ya i mostly did it with magic marker or whatever I could find at school.

1 hour ago, Nono said:

Picking up pennies! I like doing that too. 

I like finding coins to but I look for dimes and dollar pieces if I can find them, but my favorite coin is quarters.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...