Netflix to create live-action Cowboy Bebop series

Ohayotaku

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...series/.140062

Seeing as how it's my all time favorite anime series, I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, I think it's one of the few anime series where live action could actually work & having it be a series instead of a movie would mean less need for cutting & pasting to fit a 90 - 120 minute run time. On the other hand live action adaptions don't have a good track record with me & I hope they don't try to make it a Guardians of the Galaxy clone with jazz references instead of 70s/80s ones. Guess I'll just have to wait and see..

Other people's thoughts?

Edited by Ohiotaku

I have thee same thoughts on this as I do every other live action attempt of a anime. Not gonna be good, but then again the live action scene as a whole is getting more popular now then it used to be what with the new Pokemon movie, and several other more recent things. So at the very least its worth checking out. Also by no means should my opinion sway others from checking into this either it could be rather decent won't know till I see it first hand.

I think Netflix has generally handled live shows fairly well so far. With this in mind, I am somewhat optimistic about it. They can do it well and hopefully they will.  Would love to watch it someday. 

I think I saw somewhere it would be 10 episodes which is good. The plot should be paced just right (think Stranger Things pacing) for a good run.

• Agree 1

While I did not really enjoy Cowboy Bebop that much, I think it might turn out to be good, as it just felt like an ordinary show that would be on American television.

However, I have had a terrible experience with Netflix live action adaptations, like Erased, which was fairly faithful to the source but did not deliver anything that made either the original manga or A-1 Pictures' adaptation (not counting the final 2 or so episodes) any so good,  and Death Note, which I think gets the criticism it deserves, so I do not think I give it a chance.

19 hours ago, brycec said:

While I did not really enjoy Cowboy Bebop that much, I think it might turn out to be good, as it just felt like an ordinary show that would be on American television.

However, I have had a terrible experience with Netflix live action adaptations, like Erased, which was fairly faithful to the source but did not deliver anything that made either the original manga or A-1 Pictures' adaptation (not counting the final 2 or so episodes) any so good,  and Death Note, which I think gets the criticism it deserves, so I do not think I give it a chance.

You make a fair point here as I did a bit of thinking on that matter myself last night. It really may honestly be the one to do well in live action for the fact that its so out there compared to most anime even at the time.

On 11/30/2018 at 7:04 AM, Sassy said:

I'm so torn as well, and I'll be highly pissed if it doesn't live to expectations. 

The key to all live action adaptations is to lower one's expectations sufficiently so that one can be pleasantly surprised when they are passed ;) A friend of mine actually watches a lot of live action adaptations and she has some she swears are just as good, if not better than, the anime they came from.  The only person I know who has a little collection of live action adaptations actually. 

I'd advise not watching anything spectacular prior to watching it too. I watched Log Horizon (a masterpiece in my opinion) twice before watching La Storia de la Arcana Famiglia and found that up until the final two episodes I was unnecessarily harsh on the anime since my expectations were aligned with my expectations of Log Horizon as opposed to a new anime that I had bought blind.  Once I realized this, I actually felt the anime was better than what I was giving it. I had poisoned my opinion before ever watching it. 

• Informative 1

23 minutes ago, Beocat said:

The key to all live action adaptations is to lower one's expectations sufficiently so that one can be pleasantly surprised when they are passed ;) A friend of mine actually watches a lot of live action adaptations and she has some she swears are just as good, if not better than, the anime they came from.  The only person I know who has a little collection of live action adaptations actually.

Well, that counts for almost everything, doesn't it? If you expect nothing, you won't be let down - unless you're dewey... :'D 

I haven't yet watched a live adaptation of anything Anime or Manga related except the movie Azumi (from an amazing Manga) so I can't say much about the decision to adapt CB, but from what I've heard, Netflix adaption tend to be a let down? (I don't have Netflix to begin with, so....) But I might check out this one - Cowboy Bebop seems to be an anime that could be considerably faithfully. For example what made, Death Note, the anime, pretty good was how they used the fact that it was animated to emphasize certain themes or emotions- soemthing that you really can't do with a live adaption. But as I said, I don't know much about this matte but I'll keep an eye on it.