Lets Talk seriously about these new Retro Consoles

Geano

Ok guys I have been watching a lot recently on the new PlayStation classic that Sony is attempting to compete with Ninto's previous revisions of their first two consoles the NES/SNES classic. In my opinion all 3 of them honestly were never needed, but are a pretty cool normality for the next few years. I also know for years now, and for some time there have been PC emulators for all of these systems, and the companies know it since they have been known to use some of the open source ones in their builds other consoles.

So what do you guys think about all of this? Are you on the side that this should be a trend, or is it just a attempt at a cash cow for these companies.

• 5 months later...

For Nintendo, apparently they were only ever intended as a stopgap while the company released itself from the Wii U to get ready for the Switch launch, I have both units myself and really like them, I do wish they had released an N64 mini though, as it stands the units are nice collectors items to own.

For Sony, I think it was an absolute cash cow attempt that massively backfired by all accounts, they wanted to cash in on the craze that Nintendo was riding all by itself, but from all the reports I've read the team behind the playstation classic made a lot of mistakes, I can only guess Sony must have ordered far too many units resulting in their warehouses still having a backlog of stock as I've seen them marked down in store clearance for as low as £19.99

I'm looking forward to the Sega Mega Drive mini that's due this September, with Sega handling it - I expect it'll be a great seller for the company, it'll be the first gaming console from the company since they exited the hardware market when the Dreamcast was discontinued.

I'm also looking forward to see what official hardware Retro-bit release from their partnership with Sega, http://retro-bit.com/sega-collaboration

• Like 2

I agree with @Banri on everything!

I think the N64mini and possibly the Gamecubemini could be massive hits. The others so far were not really something people had asked for. But with n64 and gamecube, if they include enough quality games, it would definitely be something I'd buy.

Edited by Illusion of Terra
  • Like 1

@Illusion of Terra

I was just wondering, have you heard of a new retro styled portable gaming console coming soon called Evercade? (http://evercade.co.uk/).

Here's a list of game compilations they've announced so far, http://evercade.co.uk/games-list/

Copied from their website: RELEASES Q4 2019

CONSOLE PRICING
STANDARD (INCL 1. CART): £59.99 / €69.99 /  $79.99
PREMIUM (INCL 3. CARTS): £79.99 / €89.99 / $99.99

CARTRIDGE PRICING
SINGLE CART: £14.99 / €17.99 /  $19.99

I'm looking forward to this launch 👍

• Like 1

@Banri Hadn't heard of it, but it looks interesting. I've seen others who build similar things using raspberry pie chips and self-made cases, but nothing commercial. There's a decent collection of games in this Evercade (a few I actually owned as cartridges).

I'll probably have to pass on this though because it is too pricey for me. If I ever get a better paid job or if it's ever on sale I'll come back to it though 😂 Not that I actually have to time to game nowadays 😂 Should you ever get it, post some reviews though!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Illusion of Terra said:

@VampireKnight19 You mean the SNES mini? I saw some deals for it I don't know when, where they sold it for 50 bucks (44 pounds). Still a lot especially if you have children though. There are some decent games on the mini, although I think it lacks some other phenomenal games.

Yeah, the SNES Mini. That's a good price. But its hard to save money when I have a 5 year old lol

• Like 1