2018 Anime Favorites

Ohayotaku

With the year starting to wind down, what were some of your favorite series?

For me:

A Place Further than the Universe - a group of Japanese high school girls accompany an expedition to Antarctica. Managed to be funny, heartfelt & encouraging all at the same time.

Yuru Camp - SoL series about girls camping in the fall & winter featuring some beautiful scenery from actual locations. Just sit back and smile from OP through ED

Megalobox - entertaining underdog story with a vibe similar to Cowboy Bebop, Samuari Champloo and Michiko & Hatchin. Manages to tell it's whole story in a single season

Golden Kamuy - treasure hunt adventure filled with violence, deception & a cast of "unique" individuals

Planet With - a quirky sci fi adventure with some philosophical musings that tells it's story in a single season

Asobi Asobase - the antithesis of the Cute-Girls-Doing-Cute-Things genre. Made me laugh harder and more often than I have in a long time, making me realize I'm not as mature or decent as I like to think

Hinomaru Sumo - setting aside the "do you like gladiator movies" bias, an intense sports shonen series with genuinely likable characters

Zombie Land Saga - definitely one of the more oddball idol and comedy series out there (think Excel Saga style humor) but still manages to get you emotionally invested in the characters

Edited by Ohiotaku

• 3 weeks later...

ANN has put up a poll where you can vote for what you consider to be the best 5 anime of 2018

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/survey/816/

I have to say it's a it's surprising to see  how many new series (not counting movies & OVAs) aired in 2018

Edited by Ohiotaku

Best of the year probably goes to Sora Yori mo Tooi Basho. As much as we want to say that second place beats it, Sora Yori was just too good. It was exciting, emotional, had a great soundtrack and characters, and was just thoroughly enjoyable.

Second place is probably our favourite of the year, and absolutely no one watched it. It's called High Score Girl, and it's a romance set in the 90s, where the protagonists are kids who play arcade games such as Street Fighter II, Final Fight, and Splatterhouse (the actual games, with real footage. This isn't a WcRonalds case). The characters were just unbelievably good in this series, and one of them doesn't even speak. She's probably the most interesting character too.

The other ones worth mentioning are SSSS.Gridman, which was a homage to tokusatsu series like Ultraman, Bloom Into You, which was an ACTUALLY GOOD yuri series, Golden Kamuy, which was an action adventure show with a lot of cooking scenes, and some really interesting history, and Hinamatsuri, which was a really heart warming family comedy.

If there was one series from this year that we could recommend to people, it would be High Score Girl.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, the_twig said:

If there was one series from this year that we could recommend to people, it would be High Score Girl.

I just started watching that series myself and it will in all likelihood make my final list. It definitely brings the nostalgia for old school arcade games & beats the pants off Takagi-san in the somewhat antagonistic adolescent romcom department.

• 2 weeks later...

So, my final rankings for 2018:

1. A Place Further Than the Universe
2. Yuru Camp
3. Golden Kamuy (seasons 1&2)
4. Sirius the Jaeger
5. Megalo Box
6. Asobi Asobase
7. Hakata Tonkatsu Ramens
8. SSSS Gridman
9. Planet With
10.Hinomaru Sumo

Honorable mentions:
Kakegurui (2017 series but didn't show up on Netflix until 2018)
Space Battleship Yamato 2202 (work in progress)
ReLIFE OVA (episodes 14 -17)
Gegege no Kitaro
As Miss Beelzebub Likes It
Hinamatsuri
Zombieland Saga
That Time I was Reincarnated as a Slime
My Hero Academia season 3 (had some awesome moments, but weaker overall. sets the stage for great expectations in season 4)
Attack on Titan season 3 part 1