Horror anime

Mysteria

1 hour ago, Mysteria said:

Hell girl excellent and shiki my personal fav^_^

Then have you seen the new season of hell girl cause for me i haven't seen it yet lol so many anime to watch so less time

14 minutes ago, Kaga Koko said:

Then have you seen the new season of hell girl cause for me i haven't seen it yet lol so many anime to watch so less time

Season 4 was disappointing to me as there were only six new episodes which were ok, but not great. I didn't even bother with the other six since they were apparently just rebroadcasts of episodes from past seasons. I did enjoy seasons 1 & 2 though.

Edited by Ohiotaku

19 minutes ago, Ohiotaku said:

Season 4 was disappointing to me as there were only six new episodes which were ok, but not great. I didn't even bother with the other six since they were apparently just rebroadcasts of episodes from past seasons. I did enjoy seasons 1 & 2 though.

True on that

I’m just gonna put out a couple more horror series I enjoyed somewhat. 

Devil Lady was a gender bent take on Go Nagai’s Devil Man series.  It had some similarities to Witchblade, but was better IMO. Unfortunately I don’t think anyone has the US license anymore.

Some of the stories in the Ghost Hunt series were pretty good.

It’s probably more psychological than horror, but Satoshi Kon’s Paranoia Agent was excellent.

Finally, Betterman wasn’t that good of a series and might not be actual horror but definitely had some creepy moments, especially with the little psychic girl doing the episode previews.

Edited by Ohiotaku

It's SO hard to pick a favorite, there's so many that are fantastic!  Higurashi is definitely one of my favorites.  Also the original Vampire Hunter D movie is altogether one of my favorite anime movies in general.  I'm on the fence about Evangelion, kinda surprised no one has mentioned it yet, but in my opinion I don't think I can deny that the show is, while sometimes confusing, very compelling, and also terrifying at times.

One show that I think is noteworthy, while not necessarily one of my favorites, is Shadow Star Narutaru.  The story is rather incoherent, with it jumping from one event to the next with seemingly not a great sense of continuity.  It also doesn't have a proper ending (unlike the manga it's based on, which I haven't read).  I do think it's a good show though.  I really like the way they deceive you by, by all accounts, making the show seem all cutesy and for kids and then throwing some crazy fucked-uppery at you.

I always have such trouble with favorite anime topics as I love so much of it. Though here goes a small list.

Hell Girl, Elfen Lied, Ghost Stories, HSOD, to name a few. Though HSOD is not that scary and I don't really consider it horror per say, but hay gotta go with things in the genre.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Steerminator said:

It's SO hard to pick a favorite, there's so many that are fantastic!  Higurashi is definitely one of my favorites.  Also the original Vampire Hunter D movie is altogether one of my favorite anime movies in general.  I'm on the fence about Evangelion, kinda surprised no one has mentioned it yet, but in my opinion I don't think I can deny that the show is, while sometimes confusing, very compelling, and also terrifying at times.

One show that I think is noteworthy, while not necessarily one of my favorites, is Shadow Star Narutaru.  The story is rather incoherent, with it jumping from one event to the next with seemingly not a great sense of continuity.  It also doesn't have a proper ending (unlike the manga it's based on, which I haven't read).  I do think it's a good show though.  I really like the way they deceive you by, by all accounts, making the show seem all cutesy and for kids and then throwing some crazy fucked-uppery at you.

Yes I agree the one you mentioned evangelion is great and oh yes scary in most parts but I enjoyed it also vampire hunter d the movie was terrific

and the series they had no too bad; you have good taste in horror anime and thank you for bringing those up.

19 hours ago, ArchieKun said:

I always have such trouble with favorite anime topics as I love so much of it. Though here goes a small list.

Hell Girl, Elfen Lied, Ghost Stories, HSOD, to name a few. Though HSOD is not that scary and I don't really consider it horror per say, but hay gotta go with things in the genre.

High school of the dead is worthy of mention, the story line is intense and the characters are very interesting.

12 minutes ago, XIII said:

Wicked city but it's a movie.

No worries it's an anime so it defiantly counts.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mysteria said:

Yes I agree the one you mentioned evangelion is great and oh yes scary in most parts but I enjoyed it also vampire hunter d the movie was terrific

and the series they had no too bad; you have good taste in horror anime and thank you for bringing those up.

High school of the dead is worthy of mention, the story line is intense and the characters are very interesting.

No worries it's an anime so it defiantly counts.

Yah I thought so to even though to me its more funny then anything. Though Elfen Lied is much darker in my opinion.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ArchieKun said:

Yah I thought so to even though to me its more funny then anything. Though Elfen Lied is much darker in my opinion.

I personally thought Elfen lied, while definitely qualifying as horror, was really more sad than scary or disturbing.  I mean I liked it a lot, I just thought it was probably one the saddest shows I've ever seen. 

2 hours ago, Steerminator said:

I personally thought Elfen lied, while definitely qualifying as horror, was really more sad than scary or disturbing.  I mean I liked it a lot, I just thought it was probably one the saddest shows I've ever seen. 

Ya I won't completely disagree though I will maintain that if something is to be labeled disterbing in at least some form then it would be bordering horror at least in the way Elfen Lied dose it.

1 hour ago, Joey said:

Yamishibai: Japanese Ghost Stories is one I should have made mention

Oh I can't believe I did not think of that one. I have only seen a few episodes though.

2 hours ago, ArchieKun said:

Ya I won't completely disagree though I will maintain that if something is to be labeled disterbing in at least some form then it would be bordering horror at least in the way Elfen Lied dose it.

Correct elfen lied and her powers wow it was crazy so it counted big time

1 hour ago, Joey said:

Yamishibai: Japanese Ghost Stories is one I should have made mention

Good choice that one beautifully wicked.