Anime Under Dogs of 2018

Norvath

So it didn't really catch us off guard, because we were fully expecting it to be good, but if there's one hidden gem this year, it's High Score Girl.

High Score Girl is a romance series about kids growing up in the 90s playing arcade games like Street Fighter II, Final Fight, and Splatterhouse. The thing that really made the show though are the three main characters. It's rally hard to explain them (especially Ono, because she has a character trait that sounds entirely bad, but works ridiculously well), but they were just so real. They behaved like normal people, rather than caricatures, and it resulted in an absolutely amazing series.

If you have not watched it yet, please, go and watch High Score Girl.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Norvath said:

is this a Netflix show because the name sounds familiar. 

It was put on Netflix on Christmas Eve, yes. They have it both dubbed and subbed, but their subs are sometimes late, so they appear a few seconds after the character has started speaking.

• Useful 1

A Place Further than the Universe - from the description sounded like typical cute girls doing cute things fare, but is a surprisingly inspirational story with some real emotional depth .

Yuru (Laid-back) Camp - didn't think I would like it since I'm not really into camping, but proved to be cute, funny and has some wonderful scenery of actual locations. Made me smile from OP to ED.

Hakata Tonkastu Ramens - seems like this one slipped under almost everyone's radar even though it's a kindred spirit to Durarara & Baccano

Sirius the Jager - has all the usual tropes of a vampire hunter series, but had me emotionally invested by the end of the 2nd episode

Asobi Asobase - pastel & cutesy one minute. crude, vulgar & ugly as **** the next. Made me laugh longer & harder than I have in years, much to my shame.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, the_twig said:

It was put on Netflix on Christmas Eve, yes. They have it both dubbed and subbed, but their subs are sometimes late, so they appear a few seconds after the character has started speaking.

ok thanks I just watched the first 2 episodes and it was really good.

1 hour ago, Ohiotaku said:

A Place Further than the Universe - from the description sounded like typical cute girls doing cute things fare, but is a surprisingly inspirational story with some real emotional depth .

Yuru (Laid-back) Camp - didn't think I would like it since I'm not really into camping, but proved to be cute, funny and has some wonderful scenery of actual locations. Made me smile from OP to ED.

Hakata Tonkastu Ramens - seems like this one slipped under almost everyone's radar even though it's a kindred spirit to Durarara & Baccano

Sirius the Jager - has all the usual tropes of a vampire hunter series, but had me emotionally invested by the end of the 2nd episode

Asobi Asobase - pastel & cutesy one minute. crude, vulgar & ugly as **** the next. Made me laugh longer & harder than I have in years, much to my shame.

I've only seen Asobi Asobase and I agree I always liked the ending credits when they rocked out.

7 hours ago, Norvath said:

Hataraku Saibou

Kind of off topic, but CrunchyRoll just put up a bonus/special episode for this series (it's called Cells at Work there). It was entertaining.

• Informative 1

28 minutes ago, Ohiotaku said:

Kind of off topic, but CrunchyRoll just put up a bonus/special episode for this series (it's called Cells at Work there). It was entertaining.

Ah thanks for the heads up i'll watch that asap.