Your Favorite Technology!

Greeneyes

Broad topic...  probably telescopes these days, complete with mounts and go-to software. Some days, I just want to be lazy. Or just stare at Saturn or Venus without having to work for it (beyond lugging the scope out to begin with).

As for daily stuff? My cellphone. It has everything I need. I've relied on it more than ever the past 3 months. Sad but true.

30 minutes ago, Beocat said:

Broad topic...  probably telescopes these days, complete with mounts and go-to software. Some days, I just want to be lazy. Or just stare at Saturn or Venus without having to work for it (beyond lugging the scope out to begin with).

As for daily stuff? My cellphone. It has everything I need. I've relied on it more than ever the past 3 months. Sad but true.

Nothing wrong with relying on the technology we have access to.

Oh this is so so hard to answer as tech is literally my biggest obsession next to pop culture. I will give a list. I'll try to keep it small.

Hardware Home Computers this includes PCs and Macs, smartphones, most cameras, TV & Home Theater tech, and so much more.

Software Standards: PHP, MySQL, all markup languages, Javascript, to much else to name. I don't like this question yet I love it. :) 

Misc: Security standards like Two Factor Auth, UBI Keys, and Encryption standards.

Ok I basically love everything, and love learning about tech and science.

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

I have two favorites.

One being my cellphone, as Beocat has said it has everything I need.

and two, my Smart TV. It has Youtube, VUDU, Netflix, Hulu, etc so I don't have to get up and change discs for most of my movies (VUDU) since 99% are digital and Netflix and Hulu have most of the series I watch. As for YouTube, I mainly watch it for how to find certain things in games, trailers and beauty gurus (my weakness) and fish unboxing (my other weakness).

If you like watching stuff about fish aquariums and just pet fish in general I recommend checking out the Youtuber The king of DIY. He's pretty cool...

Hmmmmmm... I will give a serious answer for once. Buzzkill warning, if you don't wanna read something serious and slightly dark, skip this.

For me, it is anything and everything medical related.

To avoid going into detail, I have a genetic disease, as does everyone on my mothers side of the family.

Many generations before me, it was a death sentence. You died by age 20 to 40, period.

By the time my great grandmother was around, you could live a full life, but the preventive procedures were awful with no anesthesia, and she had a permanent colostomy (opening on your side your intestine sticks through, which is how you go #2).

In current times, you can get scoped for it mostly painlessly, just regular colonoscopies and upper illeoscopies, which suck but relative to earlier times are so much better. I had to have my large intestine removed, but nowhere near as bad as what my great grandma had to go through and I only had a temporary colostomy, I now do my business normally. It still hurt and sucked, but I also had complications and even still it wasn't as bad as what my great grandma went through.

Smart phones and the like are awesome, but if you have a major medical problem the advancements we have made are life changing. Over a hundred years ago, I would have been dead years ago by now. Nowadays, I am alive and can do most anything a normal person can.

This is why to me, medical advancement in general is the best technology ever. I literally am alive because of it, as are many other people.

As a close second, the internet. Can't imagine life without it anymore.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SanguineTear said:

For me, it is anything and everything medical related.

To avoid going into detail, I have a genetic disease, as does everyone on my mothers side of the family.

Many generations before me, it was a death sentence. You died by age 20 to 40, period.

By the time my great grandmother was around, you could live a full life, but the preventive procedures were awful with no anesthesia, and she had a permanent colostomy (opening on your side your intestine sticks through, which is how you go #2).

In current times, you can get scoped for it mostly painlessly, just regular colonoscopies and upper illeoscopies, which suck but relative to earlier times are so much better. I had to have my large intestine removed, but nowhere near as bad as what my great grandma had to go through and I only had a temporary colostomy, I now do my business normally. It still hurt and sucked, but I also had complications and even still it wasn't as bad as what my great grandma went through.

Smart phones and the like are awesome, but if you have a major medical problem the advancements we have made are life changing. Over a hundred years ago, I would have been dead years ago by now. Nowadays, I am alive and can do most anything a normal person can.

This is why to me, medical advancement in general is the best technology ever. I literally am alive because of it, as are many other people.

As a close second, the internet. Can't imagine life without it anymore.

I totally agree. 

Technology is like real-life magic. It's supposed to do mind-blowing things.

And sure the day to day convenience is amazing but saving lives is even better. 

And yeah the Internet. Without it we won't be here having this conversation now.

10 hours ago, Ryan Dave Jimenez said:

I totally agree. 

Technology is like real-life magic. It's supposed to do mind-blowing things.

And sure the day to day convenience is amazing but saving lives is even better. 

And yeah the Internet. Without it we won't be here having this conversation now.

A lot of times to tech lets us down in more ways then one. The worst being when it can do o much, but just not quite enough, or in the case of it being stalled by large organizations for profit as well as other reasons.

There are so many things out there.  Too hard to really decide.  I do like my Roku TV.  The only you need is internet and it helps cut down on the stupidly enormous cable bill.  I am satisfied with my laptop and my cell phone.  I honestly don't need a fancy cell phone.  As long as I have plenty of storage, I am good.

2 minutes ago, efaardvark said:

I once asked my grandmother this exact question and she replied - without hesitation - "potable running water.. and antibiotics".

Thats not as bad answer technically antibiotics, or at least when they are in pill form are technology. Plus its one that saves lives.

13 hours ago, ArchieKun said:

A lot of times to tech lets us down in more ways then one. The worst being when it can do o much, but just not quite enough, or in the case of it being stalled by large organizations for profit as well as other reasons.

Good points. Or when it makes us too lazy or dependent. Or even addicted. 

I lost my Internet connection for a week and it was horrible. haha

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ryan Dave Jimenez said:

Good points. Or when it makes us too lazy or dependent. Or even addicted. 

I lost my Internet connection for a week and it was horrible. haha

Oh gosh I know the feeling. Even if I lose my internet connection for an hour I get in a bad mood, and not just because I can't do AF things in that event. Its because I love the internet. I admit I am a internet junkie.

17 hours ago, Crevanille said:

Honestly it probably be something like early 90's or 2000's stuff. Remember pagers and CD players? Or gosh forbid- a flappy disk? Yeah. I miss that stuff. 

How about cassette players and 8-track tape players?🤣

2 hours ago, Kanamesensei said:

How about cassette players and 8-track tape players?🤣

Tape drivers are honestly not so bad even today if they are stored at a good temp they can last over 100 years some of them.

Cell phone and internet. Being a bit of an introvert, I enjoy being able to connect with other people around the world from the safety and comfort of my own home.

Not to stroll off topic, but one place where I don't like technology is in the automotive field. So much has been added to make driving safer, but all it's doing is making drivers lazier. Plus they're harder to work on.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ArchieKun said:

Oh gosh I know the feeling. Even if I lose my internet connection for an hour I get in a bad mood, and not just because I can't do AF things in that event. Its because I love the internet. I admit I am a internet junkie.

Yeah it kinda sucks that we're so dependent on the Internet. But what can you do? It's a part of daily living now.

3 hours ago, Nono said:

Not to stroll off topic, but one place where I don't like technology is in the automotive field. So much has been added to make driving safer, but all it's doing is making drivers lazier. Plus they're harder to work on.

Do you mean self-driving cars? 

3 hours ago, Ryan Dave Jimenez said:

Yeah it kinda sucks that we're so dependent on the Internet. But what can you do? It's a part of daily living now.

Not self driving tech. I'm talking about certain features like "stay in your lane" monitors, or self-applying brakes, just things like that. I understand the goal, but I feel like more emphasis should be placed on eliminating distracted driving, which I realize is practically impossible.

On 1/1/2019 at 6:04 PM, Ryan Dave Jimenez said:

Well when you think about it its not so bad really it makes the world smaller, and getting to meet cool people easier plus easier for business as well. Its just all in how you go about it that makes it good or bad thing.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ArchieKun said:

Well when you think about it its not so bad really it makes the world smaller, and getting to meet cool people easier plus easier for business as well. Its just all in how you go about it that makes it good or bad thing.

ArchieKun your a very positive spirit aren't you? 😄

9 hours ago, ArchieKun said:

True. I hate it when people blame the technology instead of the person. Coz you're right it's just a tool. It depends on how you use it. For good or for bad.

• Like 1