Does anyone else feel slightly depressed or sad during or after watching anime?

AnonymousMC01

I not quite sure if people feel the same way, but I sorta feel down in the dumps after watching anime. I'm normally not that type of person to get depressed or easily persuaded by feelings. I'm not feeling suicidal or that I'm going to hurt anyone, but I don't mind my life ending (again not killing myself). I have a good life, nothing tragic has happened (and hopefully nothing will), but I just feel like my life is kind of meaningless. I have loving parents that provide for me and give me anything emotionally and I'm glad to have them. I'm currently watching the third season of Sword Art Online and Attack on Titan. I recently had a dream about one of the characters that made me feel wonderful. Nothing sexual, I just can't describe the wonderful feeling i had when I woke up. I wished it never stopped. it only happens whenever I watch anime or read any interesting books. Honestly, I feel kind of silly typing this, but this is the way I feel. 

And now I have just poured my feelings to strangers on the internet. Hopefully you guys don't think I'm an idiot, but I've had these feelings for quite a while. Thank you for reading. 

• Friendly 1

That is quite interesting.

Personally, I have never felt anything like that. Aside from the normal getting sad during depressing scenes while watching.

Thank you for sharing your feelings though. That's a really courageous thing to do.

Maybe you connect with anime in a more intimate way than usual? How did you get into anime?

There's nothing wrong with sharing feelings here. We're all friends here. 

As for your situation, I feel like I'm the opposite. Usually when I'm feeling depressed, I'll catch up on my shows and forget about what I'm dealing with. I tend to feel better after watching anime more so than with any other type of programming. 

Depends on the anime. If I was heavily invested with the characters (and that's not really hard for me...) and/or liked a long going story, I usually feel some kind feeling thats kinda hard to describe. Some kind of emptiness, maybe? Trepidation with the thought of having to leave the characters behind, now that I can't see them again?

Movies like When the Promised Flower Blooms (especially stories with parents and their children) or series like Durarara!!  usually hit me hard (despite their shortcomings with several characters), which is one reason why I try and not think about if I liked the movie, series, book I just watched/read immediatedly after finishing it and usually wait for one or two days thinking about it - escept if it was a hype anime, one that just was awesome...

Funnily enough, certain anime, while I loved them, don't affect me that way. Like Megalo Box - I was invested with the characters but it left me with a feeling of "Yeah, an awesome series with a deserving ending.", and nothing more. (It's a good example of the aforementioned hype anime)

*raises hand* I definitely get sad and depressed especially when the anime ends sadly. I literally bawled my eyes out when watching Wolf's Rain. I can get depressed when an anime ends suddenly and I want more; don't want to leave that "world". An anime for example would be Love Hina. 

• Like 1

I mean it depends on the series, and if its trying to hit the feels so to speak. I do cry when a series has some heavy moments, and am happy when good things happen to characters I like. Far as it projecting on me in real life, or having lasting effects on me it doesn't, or at least not in a bad way. Anime, like gaming as well as comics are my escape. Therefore they make me very happy.

13 hours ago, SanguineTear said:

I almost always feel bummed at the end of a good series. I guess because I wanted more~

That feeling I know well myself, but it is going along with a strong sense of accomplishment that I added the series to my knowledge and completed list.