Which Anime Streaming Service Should I Go For?

EnviousEnvy

Honestly just like regular streaming services like Netflix, or hulu to get everything gotta go with more then one. In particular because Funamattion no longer has a contract with Crunchy in favor of pushing their own service. I would say though given only one choice go with Crunchyroll until you can afford both. If you can do both out of the gate I'd say do that for the best experience.

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, ArchieKun said:

Honestly just like regular streaming services like Netflix, or hulu to get everything gotta go with more then one.

Even if you pay for every legal anime streaming service available to English speaking audiences, you won't get everything.

As such, I don't think I can say names, but free sites aren't as bad as they're made out to be. Watch what you can legally if you'd like, but just remember that even if you're paying around $40-$50 a month for a load of streaming services, you won't get everything.

A fantastic way to give back to the industry is to buy blurays, so doing that is an option as well if you so choose to ever get into free sites.

I only offer this up as a very viable option, simply because it is a very viable option, and one that should be greatly considered rather than being locked out of seeing certain series because of dumb licensing fees.

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, awesomedude20 said:

Even if you pay for every legal anime streaming service available to English speaking audiences, you won't get everything.

As such, I don't think I can say names, but free sites aren't as bad as they're made out to be. Watch what you can legally if you'd like, but just remember that even if you're paying around $40-$50 a month for a load of streaming services, you won't get everything.

A fantastic way to give back to the industry is to buy blurays, so doing that is an option as well if you so choose to ever get into free sites.

I only offer this up as a very viable option, simply because it is a very viable option, and one that should be greatly considered rather than being locked out of seeing certain series because of dumb licensing fees.

I don't disagree with you there. I was merely just answering their question based on what they gave me to go on.

2 hours ago, awesomedude20 said:

I buy both in store and online when I can find that anime. 

I forgot that FUNimation partnered with Hulu after their breakup with Crunchyroll and I have Hulu so there's that for me, lol. Also I used to know a really good free streaming service but because of the sudden crackdown on free anime streaming services that occurred about 2 or so years ago it was one of the sites that was shut down so unfortunately I no longer know of any other site and honestly I fear of viruses and crap so I avoid sketchy sites and that's all I apparently can find, ugh.

Edited by EnviousEnvy
Mixed up words

20 hours ago, Beocat said:

Hulu has a lot of good shows and a large library. I'd do crunchyroll too to fill in the gaps. Not much on Funimation that I just have to have.

Found out FUNimation did a partnership with Hulu. 

Honestly just like regular streaming services like Netflix, or Coke And Popcorn  to get everything gotta go with more then one. In particular because Funamattion no longer has a contract with Crunchy in favor of pushing their own service.

I Recommended You To Go For Coke And Popcorn Website to Watch Latest Anime Shows. If you are Ready To pay For Watching Anime Movies Then you Can Choose The Netflix But For Free Coke And Popcorn Platform is Best.

I currently subscribe to crunchy, plus I "borrow" my brother's netflix and hulu accounts when I want to stream something that's not on crunchy.  In the past I've also subscribed to Funi, though I don't currently.  However, like others have said, even using multiple streaming services I don't get access to everything.  Some stuff never shows up on any streaming site.

If I really like something I'll buy the DVD.  Usually NOT blu-ray though, unless there's no other option.  (BR media is a lot more susceptible to scratches than DVDs in my experience, but can be a pain to rip when I want to back up my purchase to my NAS.  YMMV..)

• Like 1

On 1/22/2019 at 7:22 PM, efaardvark said:

I currently subscribe to crunchy, plus I "borrow" my brother's netflix and hulu accounts when I want to stream something that's not on crunchy.  In the past I've also subscribed to Funi, though I don't currently.  However, like others have said, even using multiple streaming services I don't get access to everything.  Some stuff never shows up on any streaming site.

If I really like something I'll buy the DVD.  Usually NOT blu-ray though, unless there's no other option.  (BR media is a lot more susceptible to scratches than DVDs in my experience, but can be a pain to rip when I want to back up my purchase to my NAS.  YMMV..)

Most of my anime are DVD as well which honestly I don't know why I haven't fully switched to Blu Ray (I have when it comes to my other movies and TV series). I baby my discs either way but I like BR better. I don't back them up or anything (because I'm dumb when it comes to that sort of thing).

4 minutes ago, EnviousEnvy said:

Most of my anime are DVD as well which honestly I don't know why I haven't fully switched to Blu Ray (I have when it comes to my other movies and TV series). I baby my discs either way but I like BR better. I don't back them up or anything (because I'm dumb when it comes to that sort of thing).

From what I have seen in a lot of cases for anime at least for the short single season anime series there is a fairly steep price jump from regular DVD to Blu-ray ROM. It is honestly kinda surprising to me sense blu-ray in general has become so cheep. I will say that for the price if you are going about it this way that unless you find a really good deal that pricing will certainly be better for regular DVDs.

41 minutes ago, ArchieKun said:

From what I have seen in a lot of cases for anime at least for the short single season anime series there is a fairly steep price jump from regular DVD to Blu-ray ROM. It is honestly kinda surprising to me sense blu-ray in general has become so cheep. I will say that for the price if you are going about it this way that unless you find a really good deal that pricing will certainly be better for regular DVDs.

So I've noticed. I usually only buy the anime that I prize the most on Blu Ray and most of the time it's when they are on sale. I scored a blu ray limited edition version of Summer Wars for 22 US dollars. I was so freaking happy, lol.

33 minutes ago, EnviousEnvy said:

So I've noticed. I usually only buy the anime that I prize the most on Blu Ray and most of the time it's when they are on sale. I scored a blu ray limited edition version of Summer Wars for 22 US dollars. I was so freaking happy, lol.

I think thats the way most go about it. Honestly thats why streaming sites in any capacity are good because you don't really need to spend so much at once for something you won't be watching again. DVDs and blu-rays are in my mind considered more of a collectable then a primary viewing method for anime, or really any otter media honestly. Though its best to go with what you are most comfortable with.

13 minutes ago, ArchieKun said:

DVDs and blu-rays are in my mind considered more of a collectable then a primary viewing method for anime

I guess there is a kind of collectable aspect - especially if there's exclusive "extras" included in the deal - but for me it more about not wanting to lose access to some content that I really like.  Stuff has a habit of disappearing without warning from streaming sites.  If I like something enough that I feel I might want to re-watch it in the future then I'll get the DVD.  In that respect the streaming sites are just a kind of preview system so I can find the stuff I like without having to make a huge investment in purchasing discs, most of which I'll never watch a second time, and many of which I won't even finish.  I consider what I've got on plex on my NAS to be my main source of anime.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, efaardvark said:

I guess there is a kind of collectable aspect - especially if there's exclusive "extras" included in the deal - but for me it more about not wanting to lose access to some content that I really like.  Stuff has a habit of disappearing without warning from streaming sites.  If I like something enough that I feel I might want to re-watch it in the future then I'll get the DVD.  In that respect the streaming sites are just a kind of preview system so I can find the stuff I like without having to make a huge investment in purchasing discs, most of which I'll never watch a second time, and many of which I won't even finish.  I consider what I've got on plex on my NAS to be my main source of anime.

Yes I agree with you fully and this is true of any streaming site paid, or free. In either case the stuff that is up there is what is popular, but for most people they just want to watch what they want. Such is the issue presenting the streaming provider they have to go with the general popular option so some viewers lose out no matter what.

24 minutes ago, efaardvark said:

That is my biggest fear as well >> an anime movie or series suddenly gone and I don't trust most free sites because of the increase of hackers, viruses, etc. Plus most want you to "sign up" which means "Let us spam you with junk mail in the next 5 minutes and maybe for the rest of your life too"... nah, I'm good man, lol. Plus I don't personally like streaming to be honest unless, like you said, it's for previewing purposes. However my fiance is the one that has been looking for an anime streaming service really, not me. I'd rather go and buy it if I've seen it before.