My Anime List forums and Anime forums.net

Ryan Dave Jimenez

I actually started an account at My Anime List first before coming here. I was active for a short time on MAL but eventually left. I will return though in the future.

This is not a, Which is better? topic. Both communities will have their pros and cons.

But what are your experiences on the MAL community and what are your experiences here? Are they different? Or mostly the same?

• Like 1

Well for me I had a MAL account quite so time ago we are talking 2015 or before I couldn't remember the info if I tried. I use MAL for anime series info quite a bit along with Wikipedia which is surprisingly good at series info. I would say AF hands down and not just because I manage the forums. I personalty just think we are a close community its fun, and easy to get to know others here and its busy without being to busy. Not that we won't grow as time goes on I am wishing with all my heart that we do keep growing though presently it is nice just being able to know most of the regular members here on a somewhat more personal level. In the case of MAL on a community perspective it is alright nothing seriously wrong with it. Its just a far larger community where clicks and groups are established far more so then they are here. So it is just a different experience not apples to apples at all. Far more like apples to oranges.

I only ever used MAL specifically for keeping track of anime.

I have been here for 4 or 5 years though, and albeit while I haven't been very active recent years, when I have been active it was a very close and friendly community. Very rarely have I seen actual conflict, and more often than not everyone is friendly. So far I have had nothing but good times here.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I have been a member of MAL since 2009.  I find it to be a good place to keep track of all anime that I have watched.  I did try the forums, but it isn't the same as other forums such as this one.  So I guess all I do on MAL is just keep track of anime.  But I come here for the new friends I have made.☺️

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Wow I agree with all of you.

When I was at MAL I felt kinda ignored? If that's the right word. I guess it can't be helped as there are so many people there.

Here in AF, it's a lot smaller but everyone is given equal attention. If that makes sense. Like a small city compared to a big city.

And yes everyone here is nice and understanding.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2019 at 8:58 AM, Kanamesensei said:

I have been a member of MAL since 2009.  I find it to be a good place to keep track of all anime that I have watched.  I did try the forums, but it isn't the same as other forums such as this one.  So I guess all I do on MAL is just keep track of anime.  But I come here for the new friends I have made.☺️

The best way I can properly compare the two sites is to use the apples vs oranges theory, MAL is great yes, but it is less about the forum, and far more about the content its almost like a anime Facebook if it had a feed like Twitter, or Tumblr. AF.net aka here is more of a traditional forum community. Less about anime content itself, and more about the dissolution of said content as well as taking part in many various fandom activities. 

On 1/26/2019 at 6:58 AM, Kanamesensei said:

Agree.  I'm a relatively recent MAL convert - even though I've been watching anime literally for decades - mostly because the forums weren't interesting.  I have the same issue with goodreads for books.. good for tracking & sharing your list, but not so good for the forum/chat aspect.