Netlix/Hulu/Amazon Prime Best Hidden Gems

Megalovania

Hey there. Pretty new to the site. I think this is my first post actually.

So I've been binging anime's on the mentioned sites and I feel like I'm starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel.

I'm looking for a new series to get into and figured I would start a general discussion about some of the best anime's available on Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime. Especially the ones that you may look over at first.

Personally I like when there are 2-3 seasons of show that have a complete story. Its rare to find one that ties up nicely before the studio either dropped it or it goes into indefinite hiatus (looking at you, Hunter x Hunter). I don't have Crunchyroll or Funimation, so my choices are limited.

Some examples of ones I really enjoyed (I'm just scrolling through the genera lists here so no particular order😞

Netflix - One Punch Man, SAO[Season 1], Ouran HS Host Club, Naruto/Shippuden, Devil is a Part Timer, Death Note, FMA[OG & Brotherhood], Kill la Kill, Mushi-shi, Knights of Sedonia

Hulu - Boruto, Hunter x Hunter, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, K, Akira, Cowboy Bebop, Dragon Ball[OG], FLCL[OG, first anime I ever watched actually], Food Wars, Highschool DxD, HotD, Is it Wrong to Pick up Girls in a Dungeon, MHA, Psycho-Pass, Samurai Champloo, Sekirei, Steins;Gate, Watamote, xxxHolic,

Amazon Prime - RWBY, Bakemonogatari

I suppose I'm pretty entry level, but I chalk that up to the lack of selection. I have no preference of Dub/Sub really. When it's an action oriented show I usually use Dub so I can focus more on the fighting. I like Subs on more Drama oriented shows though.

What should I watch next? K-On? Fate Stay Nite? Black Clover? Durarara? Something else?

Eager to see what you have to say.

We're in the UK, so our Prime and Netflix libraries are probably somewhat different from yours (we're assuming you're from the US), and we have no idea what's on Hulu, but here are some that we really like.

Prime:
Shinsekai Yori - people develop psychic powers, lots of bad thins happen, humanity almost goes extinct, and then society regresses to small villages. Some kids from a village get curious about the outside world.

Great Teacher Onizuka - Ex-motorbike gang leader decides he wants to become a teacher because he thinks girls look cute in school uniforms. Feelgood comedy about his class rejecting him, while he tries to get their acceptance.

Kuzu no Honkai - Two students are in love with their teachers, but can't date them for obvious reasons, so they date each other while pretending to be the teachers. Lots of sex scenes, but they're all really important to the plot. There isn't a single sex scene that is there just to be erotic, and the majority of them actively avoid trying to be erotic. Really serious drama about cheating, and one of our all time favourites.

Fune wo Amu - A guy gets a job compiling a dictionary. So much better than that sounds, and also has some good romance.

Princess Tutu - An author turns a duck into the fantastical Princess Tutu, and has her find the shards of a prince's heart through the power of ballet. If you're at all familiar with the original Grimm's fairytales, it's kind of like those. For example, in the original Cinderella, the ugly sisters cut of their heal and toes to fit in the shoe, then get their eyes pecked out by birds, and the step-mother is forced to dance until she dies of exhaustion. This is not a girly series, even if it first seems like it. It's also our all time favourite.

Netflix:
Little Witch Academia - Basically Harry Potter: The Anime, but by the people who made Kill la Kill and Gurren Lagann.

High Score Girl - Romance about kids growing up in the 90s playing arcade games. And we're talking about the actual ones, Street Fighter II, Final Fight, and Virtua Fighter. This was probably our favourite anime of 2018.

Saiki Kusuo no Ψ-nan - A guy with a bunch of superpowers including teleportation, mind reading, time travel, and invisibility tries to be as normal as possible, because if people find out he has powers, they'll ask him to do stuff for them, and that's a pain.

Violet Evergarden - Girl is brought up during war on the battlefield, and knows nothing other than the orders of her commander. Her commander dies during the final mission of the war, and she is left in the care of the commander’s friend, who owns a post office. She decides to be a ghost writer so she can learn more about the emotions that she never knew.

There are also a bunch of movies that are definitely worth watching, especially A Silent Voice, In This Corner of the World, Summer Wars, and Wolf Children.

• Like 1

Some series I’ve recently watched on Netflix and found enjoyable: Little Witch Academia, Sirius the Jaeger, 7 Deadly Sins,  Kakegurui. I also noticed that they have Soul Eater, which I enjoyed except the ending was anticlimactic. Series in my queue I haven’t seen but that have a good reputation: Magica Madoka,  Ajin.

I don’t have Hulu or Prime anymore, but some series I enjoyed previously on them

Prime: Land of the Lustrous, Princess Principal. The new Dororo is one of the current season’s series I’m curious about.

Hulu: I think they had Beautiful Bones and Ushio & Tora.

Personally, Crunchyroll is my primary source of anime. If your curious about their shows, let me know.

Edited by Ohiotaku

Netflix: Naruto, Black Butler, Kakegurui. 

I have not seen BB but I know its supposed to rock, also Naruto and Kakegurui are amazing. 

However Crunchy-roll has got just about everything so I would recommend you just subscribe to them tbh. 

15 hours ago, the_twig said:

We're in the UK, so our Prime and Netflix libraries are probably somewhat different from yours (we're assuming you're from the US), and we have no idea what's on Hulu, but here are some that we really like.

That makes sense. From what I could gather, Hulu is only available for Japan and the US, which means some people I talk to in your region cannot even watch South Park online via legal means.

As for the topic at hand, and thus addressing the user’s questions. I hardly watch anime on Netflix or Hulu. I mostly use FUNimation and Crunchyroll.

However, some good shows on Hulu that I have encountered were Amagami Brillant Park, though I would stop after the main problem gets resolved, and No Game No Life, which I got a laugh out of (watching subbed, the reactions and such were the funniest things, but the dub just came off as funnier to me).

I never used Amazon Prime for anime though I know there is a decent amount on there. Far as Netflix is concerned one that is worth mentioning is Violet Evergarden. Another good one from Netflix is Seven Deadly Sins. Far as Hulu goes I would agree with Brycec in particular with No Game No Life. I really like that series quite a bit. If I am being completely honest though apart from Netflix I don't use Amazon for their streaming service. I use it more for the shopping for collectibles. I don't use Hulu either, but I do know that in terms of Hulu VS Netflix your gonna have a big difference in options. Almost all the anime from Netflix much like its other shows are so called Netflix original anime. Though thats different then their original shows since its basically a anime artist having their show licensed with Netflix rather then a network. In terms of Hulu from what I have seen, and heard its mostly older stuff with a lot of newer still tossed in there. Though hulu tends not to get the latest of anything including anime. Though they do get it soon enough. 

My suggestion if your watching Julu would be pretty much any older Shounen. Though again as Brycec mentioned Funimation, Crunchy are gonna give you a better expense apart from the various free streaming sites out there.