How Do You Keep Track of the Anime You're Watching/Have Watched?

Geano

Hay there guys. Its been a bit since I posted a topic here in the good ol anime section. I have been thinking about this for a while now, and wanted to know what you guys do to accomplish this. Now I do want to say this is in the exception to the MAL website. It is more about how you keep track of your anime so you know what to watch next, or just to organize your entertainment.

For me I have used a spreadsheet to do this because I personally rather enjoy putting those together. So what about you guys.

I use a free mobile app called Series Guide. 

It's made my life so much easier. It also works for TV shows not just anime.

Here's a screenshot:

EEGKPgz.jpg

It keeps track of my progress in watching. So for Haikyuu!! I'm at season 2 episode 17

For Clannad I'm at season 2 episode 1 and so on.

Before I used to just memorize my progress. Well that didn't work out too well. haha

@ArchieKun can you share a screenshot too? Of how you use a spreadsheet.

Edited by Ryan Dave Jimenez
  • Like 2

Because I watch on sites like Crunchyroll and FUNimation or watch things on Plex, I do not generally have a need to keep track of things, but I have reviews episodes of some simulcasts I watched in the past on my blog, so I have that to get me refreshed if need be.

7 hours ago, Ryan Dave Jimenez said:

Here's a screenshot:

EEGKPgz.jpg

It keeps track of my progress in watching. So for Haikyuu!! I'm at season 2 episode 17

Before I used to just memorize my progress. Well that didn't work out too well. haha

Not gonna lie that is pretty cool app there. The fact that it keeps track of everything is pretty appealing as well.

6 hours ago, brycec said:

Because I watch on sites like Crunchyroll and FUNimation or watch things on Plex, I do not generally have a need to keep track of things, but I have reviews episodes of some simulcasts I watched in the past on my blog, so I have that to get me refreshed if need be.

Yes that makes sense though in the case of plex it dose keep track of what you watch. In fact some users were even worried they were collecting to much information on files viewed on a given server that the plex team had to change their privacy policy twice, and admit to a mistake the next day after changing.

12 hours ago, Ryan Dave Jimenez said:

Here's a screenshot:

EEGKPgz.jpg

Not gonna' lie, probably be downloading that soon. 

On 2/6/2019 at 1:30 AM, ArchieKun said:

For me I have used a spreadsheet to do this because I personally rather enjoy putting those together.

Did just the same when I started getting overly serious with my titles, but after the 600th series I fell out of it. Currently I pretty much just rely on Myanimelist.net to keep track, and even then I'm pretty lazy at adding entries. 

59 minutes ago, Oakmi said:

Currently I pretty much just rely on Myanimelist.net to keep track, and even then I'm pretty lazy at adding entries. 

Pretty much the same here. Though I know there are dozens (probably over a hundred actually)series, OVAs and Specials I haven't added yet.

One of of the things I don't like is it reliance on the original titles, though I am glad that if you search for the "Americanized" title, you'll usually come up with the correct one. And I understand why it's that way considering the site is used internationally 

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Ohiotaku said:

Pretty much the same here. Though I know there are dozens (probably over a hundred actually)series, OVAs and Specials I haven't added yet.

One of my complaints is it reliance on the original titles, though I am glad that if you search for the "Americanized" title, you'll usually come up with the correct one.

Right there with you. My Japanese is downright insulting to the Japanese so if I can't find the English title I'm kind of screwed. Luckily their little feature does make it easier to navigate when searching for something. 

I keep a typed list by genre of anime I own in my inbox to reference on the go if I'm out at a con buying anime. As far as what I've watched? I don't keep track of that. I've seen too many and can't remember half of what I've seen for it to matter. The bonus to that is that I could rewatch a series from 5 years ago and re-experience the magic (with a lot of deja vu lol).  If the shrinkwrap is still on it, there is a 50% chance I never watched it before. That's good enough for me.

• Like 1

I have a note book that i write all the series i have watched. It really comes in handy. In the middle i wrote the anime that i think are interesting but i know i'll forget the name or just anime i want to watch. Kinda like a 'Plan to watch" list in the middle. 

On it i only write the series and the episode or season i'm on. at that certain anime. I mostly did this because i tend to start like 40+ series that i never get to finish and forget the episode i'm on :') sooo yeah

I also use My Anime List. I can keep track of the upcoming anime and also the anime i have on hold. I can also add there the certain movies and OVAs , seasons or idk. But it's a really good way :D

• Like 1

I'm pretty random.  It is only recently that I even created a MAL list.  Before that I never really had a list.  Once in a while I'd keep a short list of titles I wanted to look for the next time I went shopping.  Other than that, just memory and my crunchy or Plex queue.

19 hours ago, Ohiotaku said:

One of of the things I don't like is it reliance on the original titles, though I am glad that if you search for the "Americanized" title, you'll usually come up with the correct one. And I understand why it's that way considering the site is used internationally 

That is right. I know how you feel though most of the time I first learn of anime series by its Japanese title, and then later learn the English one. The Japanese one commonly sticks with me more though.

17 hours ago, Beocat said:

I keep a typed list by genre of anime I own in my inbox to reference on the go if I'm out at a con buying anime. As far as what I've watched? I don't keep track of that. I've seen too many and can't remember half of what I've seen for it to matter. The bonus to that is that I could rewatch a series from 5 years ago and re-experience the magic (with a lot of deja vu lol).  If the shrinkwrap is still on it, there is a 50% chance I never watched it before. That's good enough for me.

Thats a interesting way of going about it. Though these days email is used for all sorts of nasty things so it is nice to know someone is using it for a unintentional yet pretty dope purpose if you ask me. Plus if anyone ever asks about it and they are a contact you can just send it to them easily.

On 2/6/2019 at 6:19 PM, Ryan Dave Jimenez said:

Here's a screenshot:

EEGKPgz.jpg

I usually just write mine down and leave it next to my TV... 

Now I'm going to have to check out this app, lol.

• Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, HanaApril said:

I used to use Anime Plant tracker system but now I just keep track of the anime I watch on paper till maybe I can find something else. 

I really like to hear how so many people are still using pen, and paper. It shows it just works. :) I never used Anime Planet, but I had visited their site several times in the past.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HanaApril said:

@ArchieKun Yes I'm old school I guess you can say, heh. I journal a lot so I'm always writing in notebooks. I tried AP but it wasn't really my cup of tea so I left. 

I like keeping track of mine, and other things via spreadsheets, but sometimes I do admit that can be a bit overkill plus spreadsheets can be tricky for some people.

6 hours ago, HanaApril said:

@ArchieKun Yes I'm old school I guess you can say, heh. I journal a lot so I'm always writing in notebooks. 

Oh wow. That's really amazing. Writing with a pen is almost like a lost art now.

If I write with a pen for 3 minutes my hand starts to hurt. I've been so used to typing now instead of writing.

My penmanship also degraded. My handwriting isn't legible anymore. haha

13 minutes ago, Ryan Dave Jimenez said:

Oh wow. That's really amazing. Writing with a pen is almost like a lost art now.

If I write with a pen for 3 minutes my hand starts to hurt. I've been so used to typing now instead of writing.

My penmanship also degraded. My handwriting isn't legible anymore. haha

Pretty soon all of us will get carpel tunnel from writing by hand because our hands just are not used to it.

Though its a good way to keep track of the series your watching all the same.

9 hours ago, HanaApril said:

@ArchieKun Yes I'm old school I guess you can say, heh. I journal a lot so I'm always writing in notebooks. I tried AP but it wasn't really my cup of tea so I left.  

I am too.  I've got a stack of old-fashioned composition books that I keep most of my brain in.  Though strangely enough I've never kept lists of stuff like my anime or books in them.  I started back in my college days - my physics prof. required us to keep a notebook for class- and labwork - and I've kept up the practice ever since.  I've been trying to put more stuff online, but it is hard to beat old-fashioned paper.

IMG_4202.thumb.JPG.265ee71ca6dc064e0f86ef5febdd9590.JPG

On 2/20/2019 at 11:11 PM, efaardvark said:

Though strangely enough I've never kept lists of stuff

Some people just aren't list people. I am not really either for most things though I feel like I am becoming one little by little. It certainly helps when you want to go back to see what you accomplished for gaming, or anime. Its good for all kinds of series honestly. 

I keep this website called KissAnime bookmarked and you can bookmark anime that you're watching and come back to it another time. It sounds a little silly now that I'm typing this out but it still gets the job done regardless.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Phantom G said:

I keep this website called KissAnime bookmarked and you can bookmark anime that you're watching and come back to it another time. It sounds a little silly now that I'm typing this out but it still gets the job done regardless.

Yah they really do have a pretty good set up going for quite a few things including organization.