What Manga Are You Reading Now?

Geano

Thought I would go ahead, and start this topic here in manga as we have one of these for anime so thought why not manga too.

Here you can post what manga you are currently reading, or are reading next in your list. Minor dissolution about the series, or suggestions are also ok, but please keep spoilers on the lite side for those that do not want to be spoiled before reading a series.

As for me at this time. I am reading Maddoka Magica after just finishing the anime. I have to say the manga is a bit better in my opinion despite being a manga created after the anime to my best understanding. That is not normally the case, but I am glad for it in this one. :) 

So what about you guys what are you reading. ^^

• Like 2
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 2

[mal type=manga id=19323]

Interesting, although a lot seems to be shamelessly copied from Dostojewskies' Crime and Punishment - not just inspired by but some scenes are 1:1 copies from the books (which kinda doesn't work out in Manga, at least not how Ochiai did it) but I`m still enjoying it so far.

• Like 2

Just caught up to the latest chapter of Vinland Saga after binge reading for about a week. Such a fantastic manga, I wish I knew about this series earlier due to it's outstanding quality overall. Now I wait for the monthly releases.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, HanaApril said:

@ArchieKun Is the manga any good? I tried watching the anime  and I didn't really like it but always wanted to try the manga. 

If you did not care for the anime you prob won't care for the manga either/ Though it is note worthy that the manga is a bit more stream lined in terms of the plot. While this is often always true in pretty much any manga to anime comparison. Though this is particularly true here. I do agree compared to a lot of anime Madoka Magica is noticeably absent in the filler department which is nice, but in the manga the characters in particular Madoka herself is far better portrayed. I won't go into the details of how, or why as thats spoilers. Though I would say its worth a read on the first few chapters to at least see the differences.

• Like 1

Ok, so here's a question...  For a while now I've thought about getting into manga as a way to learn to read Japanese.  I can handle most spoken Japanese in anime - "anime Japanese" is easy(er) anyway - and I can do a decent enough job sight-reading kana.  With a little practice I could probably read it pretty well.  (I'm very good at reading English material btw.. I can read a whole novel between bedtime and breakfast and have absolutely no trouble keeping up with subtitles in anime.)   My only real problem reading Japanese seems to be the kanji.  I've tried reading regular Japanese text, like in a novel or newspaper.  It is not pretty.  Every kanji character becomes a speedbump or pothole and getting through a page of that is exhausting. 

OTOH, a lot of Japanese-language manga is aimed at younger, school-aged people and often either avoids kanji altogether or uses "hint mode".  (aka furigana.)  I'm thinking that might be a fun way to practice reading Japanese for someone at my level.  I did once impulse-buy a copy of Toradora that had furigana but the text was a little too small for my eyes so that experiment turned into something of an exercise in frustration.  It almost worked though.  I just need to find an engaging story that has easier-to-read text.  And/or uses only kana, though I think I'd actually prefer it if it had kanji+furigana, since that way I can get used to seeing/reading the kanji as well.  As long as the rubi text isn't too small I should be ok.  :)

Anyway, if any of you manga-readers are reading the Japanese versions and knows of such please feel free to make suggestions.  Unfortunately that's not the kind of information that is typically available in online stores, and the nearest good brick-and-mortar store with anything like a decent selection of Japanese-language manga & graphic novels is far enough away that I don't go there much.  ISBN #s would be super appreciated if you have them so people/I can order it online and still make sure to get the right version.

41 minutes ago, efaardvark said:

Ok, so here's a question...  For a while now I've thought about getting into manga as a way to learn to read Japanese

I can tell you that reading manga in Japanese is not gonna be the best way to learn it. It is good of course for perhaps side practice, or whatnot though best way to learn is to use a app, or a website, or books that will break the language down. I would also practice mastering speaking it first before reading, and writing. I am in a similar boaat here as you. I have it down laudably. Though unless I really memorize the words I only know a few things in Japanese text. 

3 minutes ago, ArchieKun said:

I can tell you that reading manga in Japanese is not gonna be the best way to learn it. It is good of course for perhaps side practice, or whatnot though best way to learn is to use a app, or a website, or books that will break the language down. I would also practice mastering speaking it first before reading, and writing. I am in a similar boaat here as you. I have it down laudably. Though unless I really memorize the words I only know a few things in Japanese text. 

I do know quite a bit of spoken Japanese already.  I'm not conversational - mostly because I have nobody to practice on - but when watching anime for example I always go for the subs version and even then I often barely even look at the text.  Sometimes I even turn the subs off entirely.  I can read kana text middling-well already too.  I'm just looking for a fun way to tackle the kanji and get a little more practice on reading kana.  I've tried the flash-card thing for kanji and while that works somewhat.... booooring!  Looking for something a bit more entertaining.  :D

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, efaardvark said:

I do know quite a bit of spoken Japanese already.  I'm not conversational - mostly because I have nobody to practice on - but when watching anime for example I always go for the subs version and even then I often barely even look at the text.  Sometimes I even turn the subs off entirely.  I can read kana text middling-well already too.  I'm just looking for a fun way to tackle the kanji and get a little more practice on reading kana.  I've tried the flash-card thing for kanji and while that works somewhat.... booooring!  Looking for something a bit more entertaining.  :D

I'd say tru a online Japanese course, and use manga to help support that for the reading functions of it. That is a step that I am going to be taking soon.

• 1 month later...

Yesterday I started reading "Now Loading..." - I'm currently on Chapter 2 of 5 and I'm really enjoying it.

I'm also currently reading "Teasing Master Takagi-san" and it's spin-off "Karakai Jouzu no (Moto) Takagi-san" - both series are currently ongoing, I'm all caught up with the latest releases, I've absolutely enjoying them so far and I'm sure I'll continue to enjoy them too.

I recently finished Bocchi na Bokura no Renai Jijou - absolutely enjoyed it.

Edited by Banri
  • Like 2

It’s mostly the usuals for me.

Detective Conan

Q.E.D./C.M.B.

Ouroboros

A Certain Scientific Railgun

Promised Neverland

I have also been reading the Railgun Gaiden starring one of the members of Shoko’s clique.

I just finished getting caught up to date on The Promised Neverland chapters, am in the process of catching up on My Hero Academia, finished the latest American released volume of Land of the Lustrous, and am also reading Fruits Basket. There are a couple of others I haven't finished yet, but hope I can get ahold of again soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...