Alita: Battle Angel

Oakmi

February 14th Alita: Battle Angel arrives in theaters. Having read the Manga I'm interested in seeing what the new LAF is going to be like. Most people have dogged Ghost in the Shell, but personally I liked that film, but having experienced Death Note on Netflix my balloon knot has shrunk up. That and it's James Cameron who is directing the piece..and well...anyway, what is everyone's thoughts about the upcoming film? Rosa Salazar had quoted in an interview that she felt that they had stayed true to the core of the Manga. Also, what is your take on LAF in general that are adaptations of Manga or Anime? 

Cheers! 

-Kuro

I'm looking forward to it. Going in with no expectations at all so I will undoubtedly be happy with the outcome.  I was ticked off at Mortal Engines changing the ending to push a political viewpoint.  I go to the movies to relax and enjoy myself.  Not be fed more garbage. As long as Alita avoids that, I'm bound to be happy with it.

Alita was the first manga I really got into, so I’m definitlely seeing it in theaters. My biggest concern is that they will try to cram in too much material since they went from 3 movies to 1 (merging motorball into the original arc). I know pretty much that it won’t do the source material justice, but I hope they come up with something coherent and Hollywood doesn’t make it too similar to Hunger Games. 

They say the movie will be self contained but still leave room for possible future expansion, so wonder if we’ll possibly get a cameo by Desty Nova.

Hehe, Valerian and Laureline was good but not entirely true to it's own origins as well but I still enjoyed it (I too went in knowing a lot about the source material on that one). Do your best to go into it just hoping that they stick to the character's personalities if not their storylines and hopefully you'll enjoy it. If it ends up bombing, I'll actually be surprised.  The trailers look great so far (Ghost in the Shell to me did not have great trailers) so perhaps that is a good omen. 

Lots of trilogies out there to be honest...seems to be the thing to do these days.

On a side note, since Boogiepop & Fruitsbasket have recently gotten more complete anime adaptions, I’m crossing my fingers Alita might get the same  treatment someday 🤞

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

Moved to anime section as this will find a much better home there. :) 

As far as the film itself I am rather existed for it. Looks really interesting so far from what I have read. 

So, I saw the movie last night. I was actually surprised at how much of the source material they were able to incorporate.

Unfortunately, the dialogue, acting & fight choreography was more on par with a Syfy Channel movie than something James Cameron was involved with. I’m just really disappointed that this was the finished product after all the years they talked about it.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, my hope now is that maybe some people will be curious enough to check out the manga & we’ll get a proper anime adaption like they’re doing with Boogiepop & Fruits Basket.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

The one line that DID make me smile

Alita: I have a new favorite food

<after trying chocolate for the first time>

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Friendly 1

• 6 months later...

I’ve never seen the anime or manga, but I am really enjoying this movie.

I love the motorball game! That’s so cool, if we could do something like that, it’d be sweet. Kind of reminds me of air gear, but their skates were designed much better.

I also really enjoyed the action scenes. Alita fights sooooo well. It’s better than the action scenes I’ve seen in action/ assassination type movies. It suits her so well, being a smaller fighter. 

I hope they do an anime remake like y’all were talking about. I love me some cyberpunk 

• Cool (Kakkoii) 1