Any recommendation for comedic anime?

Illusion of Terra

Question

Currently I'm watching The Promised Neverland and Dororo, which are both quite dark. I really like comedic anime or anime that are easy-going, but kinda don't know any that are specifically what I'm looking for.

So I'm looking for something that is not too short. It should have more than 12/13 episodes, the more the better, and it should really be 'family-friendly' if you know what I mean. I really liked Nichijou or School Rumble. It doesn't have to be a comedic anime per se, but should overall have a light, easy-going atmosphere. So I would still count Rurouni Kenshin, because it has a lot of those scenes, even if it is rather serious sometimes.

Would be great if you guys had any recommendations :)

15 answers to this question

8 hours ago, Illusion of Terra said:

I really liked Nichijou or School Rumble.

I'm also a big fan of School Rumble. Probably my favorite comedy series. Sure wished they made another season.

Aside from the great recommendations already mentioned,

Welcome to the NHK.
It's about a shut-in (he never leaves his apartment) who tries to overcome his social anxiety and turn his life around.

K-On!
Cute girl doing cute things I suppose. Skip if you hate those types of shows. Other than that, its just a pleasant watch. 
4 girls who are in a school rock band just hanging out sometimes playing music mostly just eating sweets.

Great Teacher Onizuka
A delinquent when he was young, now a teacher in highschool. He basically helps change the lives of his students.

Genshiken
A slice of life about an otaku club in school. Watch if you're into doujinshi, Gun Pla, Cosplay, Videogames anything nerd related.

• Like 1

Well in terms of comedic series that are family friendly aka less echi, or dark in nature would be One Punch Man, Yu-Gi-Oh GX, Digiman, Pokemon. 

Some of those are quite old, but defiantly are not to dark nor echi by any stretch. Now in this case of dub vs sub here one really important thing to remember is often older anime dubs were censored, or altered to specifically be more family friendly then they were shown to be in Japan. This is particularly the case with these I mentioned.

If I am being entirely honest I watch very few so called family friendly, or PG rated shows including anime except perhaps for documentaries, and even those a good number of them are not of a G/PG rating. Sorry if I did not provide to much of a list for you though I did work within the perpetrators you provided. I can assure you the dubs for everything mentioned here are rated for children, or older. Pokemon having a Y rating in the US for example.

• Like 1

So, in terms of Comdey SoL:

Lucky Star

Azumanga-Daioh

Daily Lives of Highschool Boys (My personal favority comedy anime)

Grand Blue

Joshiraku

Though, only Lucky Star has more than 12/13 episodess...

Other:

Baka no Test (Two seasons)

Kill La Kill (Lots of Action, too)

Lupin III (Any of the five parts - you don't have to watch them in order. Start with Part IV or V if you like anything newer.)

Gintama

• Like 3

2nding Azumanga Daioh which is my all time favorite SoL series. And while they only have 12 or 13 episodes I would also highly recommend Yuru Camp & Flying Witch. Along the same lines is K-on! which has a couple seasons and a movie. And while I have't watched it yet, I've heard very good things about Non-non Biyori which I believe has a couple seasons.

You might want to give Aria a try. It has three seasons (The Animation, The Natural & The Origination). While there is definitely some comedy to it, more than anything it's just a very calm & relaxing series.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

I haven't seen Acchi Kocchi mentioned.  Aka. Place to Place.  Pretty laid-back, funny, cute, etc.  Somewhat along the same lines as Azumanga Daiou, which I think I did see someone mention.  Some (very non-ecchi) romance though, and only 12 ep.  FWIW..

Edited by efaardvark
  • Like 1

I'd say look into Baccanno! It moves fast but it has it all in all the right ratios, dark and light, humor and seriousness...might be a bit scary in some places so depending on your family friendly definition....

Engaged to the Unidentified is also quite good. Though I think Ah! My Goddess fits the bill for you. Easy going, with some humor, lovable characters, and timeless story.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2019 at 1:25 PM, Illusion of Terra said:

Currently I'm watching The Promised Neverland and Dororo, which are both quite dark. I really like comedic anime or anime that are easy-going, but kinda don't know any that are specifically what I'm looking for.

So I'm looking for something that is not too short. It should have more than 12/13 episodes, the more the better, and it should really be 'family-friendly' if you know what I mean. I really liked Nichijou or School Rumble. It doesn't have to be a comedic anime per se, but should overall have a light, easy-going atmosphere. So I would still count Rurouni Kenshin, because it has a lot of those scenes, even if it is rather serious sometimes.

Would be great if you guys had any recommendations :)

Kenichi would be a good one to watch 

• Like 1

An anime I'd like to recommend is this late 90s early 2000s anime that no one seems to talk about. It's called Jyu Oh Sei. It's about a pair of twin brothers with rich parents that in the distant future "accidentally" get sent to an alien planet that is meant for criminals. Now they have to find a way to get home and they also discover some secrets about themselves. The show takes place over many years with lots of time skips, so be wary of that. It's really good especially if you like adventure/ mystery type anime.

ee9c65d12503a60c6c56f60df03fa4fbd4ebe881_hq.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks a bunch for all the suggestions! I knew/watched a couple of these but others I didn't know and am going to check out.
I actually started Baka no Test a few weeks ago but for some reason it slipped my mind again - probably because of work.

Anyway, I'll have a look :) 

Edited by Illusion of Terra