Rising of the Shield hero/ Obsessed 🤣

Seshi

12 minutes ago, Illusion of Terra said:

@Seshi I'll have to argue on Spear Hero's behalf here, never thought I'd do that though 😂 Naofumi trusted Myne blindly and she betrayed him. However, Spear Hero could not have learned from that at that point in time, because Spear Hero thought that Myne never betrayed Naofumi but the other way around. Now, you can say that Spear Hero could have learned from (what he thought to be) Myne's mistake and blindly trust Naofumi which led to her being sexually assaulted. But then again he might not have had any reason to doubt Myne, who he simply took to be a victim of Naofumi. I still think his position was bit difficult. Distrust in a party is not advantageous, especially when you have to rely on each other in life and death situations. Still, like I said he should have listened to Naofumi's defense at multiple points in time.

I think what we can all agree on, though, is that Myne was wretched through and through.

I think you raise a good point here, though I would say it is important to doubt your own party members too. As humans, we do have difficulties doubting people we trust or think we can trust, and fall prey to thinking certain conclusions based on incomplete stats, but because your party can betray you, you must douby your fellow members.

And yeah, Myne is wretched. Of course, that just makes me more excited for what supposedly happens to her.

• Like 1

@brycec This is becoming philosophical 😂I can understand your reasoning and it seems quite rational, I still think that there are people which you should trust and not doubt even if they can betray you. In fact, I hold the position that you can only trust someone if they can betray you, but not everyone shares this notion. Anyway, in this particular case, while I still think Spear Hero is in a large degree to blame, there are at least some circumstances which make some of his actions more understandable.

Edited by Illusion of Terra
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Illusion of Terra said:

This is becoming philosophical 😂<span><span><span>

Conversations tend to be more interesting that way anyway. Don’t you think? After all, it gets boring otherwise.

• Like 1

I think a big part of Spear’s  problem is he sees himself as the gallant hero rescuing damsels in distress and making them swoon. I think Myne picked up that he was particularly gullible in this respect and used it not only in her own false accusations but also in convincing him that Raphtalia, Filo & Melty were being forced/controlled by Naofumi. Granted pretty much all guys (including Naofumi) are subject to that, but Spear seems to have a particular weakness for it as well as flattery.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Illusion of Terra said:

@brycec Well, I am a philosopher, so I try to hold back with the philosophy stuff in order to not bore others 😂

I am not much of a philosopher, but people around me think I am. I focus more on psychological stuff and understanding of things, which helps me to see different possibilities and stuff, which has gotten me attention from people in the mental health and other related sectors.

Still, I do tend to think and use my mind a lot.

3 minutes ago, Illusion of Terra said:

From someone who 'thinks' for a living, all I can say is don't overdo it and enjoy the little and simple things in life 😂 otherwise it makes your brain mush after a while 😂<span><span><span>

Might be kind of hard for me, since that is also where most of my capabilities reside. Plus, we, as humans, cannot really enjoy those simple things, even if we know it is important, because so much gets in the way in this cage we created for ourselves.

• Like 1

Episode 20

Any time an episode skips the OP,  you know some serious **** is going to go down. Everyone chips in to try and take out The Pope (though Myne’s involvement is minimal). But in the end Naofumi must resort to using The Curse Shield. This time it takes all 3 of the girls to bring him back from the brink (though I’m glad they still seem to put special emphasis on his relationship with Raphtalia). A rather gruesome end for The Pope, though considering his willingness to sacrifice his own followers it’s fitting. The title of the upcoming episode makes it clear Naofumi will recover from his injuries, though I’m curious whether there will be a price. Also curious to hear the Queen’s explanation for not getting involved directly sooner considering how power she apparently is. Can’t help but notice she expressed concern for The Shield Hero and Melty but made no mention of Malty/Myne (ouch :P ). Still  five more episodes so assume the climax will be the next wave, but certain there will still be a lot of unanswered questions

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

I thought his was a great episode and a lot happened.

Spoiler

Naofumi's attack was kinda unexpected and I think quite creative. Like @Ohiotaku said the Queen seems to pack some serious power, and I also wonder why she hasn't stepped into the game earlier and why she didn't defeat the pope herself. To me it seemed like Naofumi disliked her, but that could also be because he apparently lost gallons of blood 😂What also seemed a bit reckless is that now Raphtalia, Filo and Melty are cursed now, aren't they? I remember that Naofumi had some holy water, but I don't think he has a lot left?
Anyone know why they use English words for the attacks by the heroes' weapons and German words for the royal family's and the priest's spells?

Also, the heck was up with that scene where they dressed the queen 😂 

Finally an episode with a decent conclusion. Been a while since we've had some closure.

I must have missed something in the scene you mentioned about them dressing the queen. Isn't this normal practice for royalty? Or was there something odd about it? I didn't notice.

I don't think they are cursed, but burned by the flames?

• Like 1

I think the scene with the Queen was meant to be dramatic to show that she was done sitting on the sidelines and was going to be going in at the head of her army . As far as Naofumi not  acting happy to see her, I imagine his first words will be “WTF took you so long?!” Plus to my eyes she looked a lot like Malty/Myne. 

I’m pretty sure that Raphtalia being cursed earlier was a result of touching Naofumi when he was in rage mode not the Zombie Dragon, but I expect the church members would gave some holy water in reserve and will be more co-opeartive now if they don’t want to be treated as traitors to the the throne or share the same fate as thr Pope

• Like 2

Welp, Malty/Mine certainly got hers this week, exposed as the scheming liar she is and publicly humiliated. Still, won’t surprise me if it reignites the outrage on some sites saying that it encourages the mistreatment of women. It’s revealed that the King was motivated primarily by his hatred of the former Shield Hero and the desire to protect/increase his own power, he apparently wasn’t aware of her desire to eliminate her sister. But we still don’t know the cause of  his grudge.  While I agree humiliation is worse punishment than death for those two, I don’t think it’s a good idea to let them run around loose as they could still cause problems, especially since it’s been shown there are like minded members of the aristocrats.  They’ll probably keep a low profile for the time being though. Of course it also goes to show how fickle public opinion is. I pretty much figured the Queen was hoping she could satisfy Naofumi’s desire for vindication without anyone else having to die. I’m curious to see what they do with this season’s remaining episodes and what kind of note it ends on.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

What an episode! One of the best so far

Spoiler

Although what Myne did was horrible, I really did not want her or the king to be beheaded. I thought the punishment was quite severe for the king though since I think most of what he did was actually meant to protect the country as he said. On the other hand he did do next to nothing to protect the lives of so many villagers he should have. It actually surprised me that Myne did not just stop at some point but continued to spout her bs.

About the actual punishment though, I'm not sure. I think stripping them of their titles was definitely called for. Renaming them, I don't know. I might have gone ancient on them and just exiled them for life? I don't know if that would have been too light. Maybe exile them after they have rebuild some of the villages they actually were responsible for.

@Ohiotaku You think people will take it as some kind of misogyny? I wouldn't put it past them, but I honestly don't see any particular reason here. It doesn't really matter whether or not she was female.

Edited by Illusion of Terra
  • Agree 1

Before the first episode even aired there were people on other forums/message boards slamming the series as glorifying slavery and misogyny. Many of them  even admitting they hadn’t seen or read any of the material, but they didn’t need to because “they’d heard about it”. And after the first ep there were those saying that Myne’s actions were meant to discredit the metoo movement. Of course Goblinslayer & SAO Alicization got some flack beforehand. Don’t get me wrong, you don’t have to look hard to find examples of women being mistreated or treated as objects in anime, but these sort of blanket condemnations do more harm than good imo.

• Silly 1

Man, that's really far-fetched. Yeah sure, if you are really set on it, you can find something in probably every anime or series in general. But saying that it was meant to discredit the metoo movement is really unsubstantiated. There actually are people who claim that others have committed crimes even if they know they haven't, and this includes examples of rape. And I think in Shield Hero it really made a lot of sense the way it was done.

Though, I'm honestly wondering if those people actually believe what they are saying or are just trying to make an example of it to stop other shows from including something like that.

• Agree 1

I think a lot of it was the timing, because it debuted when the movement seemed at it’s peak (though the source material was much older, and from what I hear darker). And as I said they were already attacking other series as being misogynist. The irony being there were much worse offenders airing I couldn’t even make it past the first episode, but those series weren’t targeted.

The thing about the latest episode that I think may draw the ire of certain groups is the names Naofumi gives Myne/Malty, which here in the States anyway seems to have become the equivalent of “the n word” in offensiveness. 

• Like 1

I really disliked Seven Deadly Sins especially for that kinda thing (but also for the completely unnecessary and constant fan service for both sides). I'm fine with Shield Hero though. The only thing I found a little strange was the placement of that slave mark. Again, not too far fetched as it should be on a prominent spot to be seen, but could have also been somewhere else.

@Ohiotaku I agree, but I think the names are quite fitting 😂 Seriously though, they can always use the new name of the king as a reply to those accusations.

Not as action packed as the last ones, but I enjoyed this week's episode as well. I don't know why I had such reservations against anime based on games (or in a game setting). Maybe it was because I disliked it in Hunter x Hunter, but I think it's well made in Shield Hero.

Spoiler

I expected a bit more from those class upgrades, maybe something like a slight costume change? In any case, apparently they'll train a lot on that island so who knows what new abilities everyone is going to gain. Also, I'm pretty sure that other person on the ship is a hero from another country, so it's possible that each country can summon them?

What I couldn't believe was that Malty tried to poison Naofumi. After having been spared she still seems to be up to her usual stuff, but at least she can be kept in check a little with that magic in place.

• Like 1

@Illusion of Terra the cardinal hero’s can only be summoned once at a time, they were supposed to be summoned by all of the countries together in the first place, and then divided, since that didn’t happen, they probably got ordinary hero’s to fill the gap, just like that old woman that Naofumi healed a long time ago during the first wave, and she ended up fighting. They call them adventurers there in that world. Much like the adventurers that joined everyone’s parties in the first episode. I think Naofumis party is about to get some new members 😉

I expected more from the class upgrades too - I was very disappointed that they couldn’t choose their upgrades.. I thought it may have been due to their slave crest though, so maybe in a different country they can upgrade as they please.

Did y’all notice that Naofumis Shield didn’t allow him to use the copy skill until he decided to trust that it was true? I wonder if that was him breaking away from the curse Shield a bit. Seems hopeful! We will see the other hero’s again in a bit

Edited by Seshi
  • Like 1

I am kind of sad I cannot keep up with you guys, due to the dub being two episodes behind.

Who knows, @Seshi. The only thing I am aware of if that blessed/holy equipment is supposed to show in the future, mostly likely season 2, if I had to guess.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, brycec said:

I am kind of sad I cannot keep up with you guys, due to the dub being two episodes behind.

Hide contents

Who knows, @Seshi. The only thing I am aware of if that blessed/holy equipment is supposed to show in the future, mostly likely season 2, if I had to guess.

I was watching dub too, and had to switch to sub just for the sake of keeping up. You could do it, presumably.

New equipment!! I’ve been waiting to see some more rare equip items.. the ones Naofumi made for the girls were kinda like.. meh, okay that’s neat but nothing special. 

I think that since he went through the trouble of learning how to forge by hand and craft medicines and even the trouble he went though on traveling in that wagon, he was able to gain a far more realistic view of the world than the other heros, so I’m not disappointed that he didn’t learn the shortcuts til now.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Seshi said:

I was watching dub too, and had to switch to sub just for the sake of keeping up. You could do it, presumably.

Yes, I could, but Shield Hero is one of those anime I would like to follow along with, even when I have a headache.

You cannot do that through subs, unless reading does not bother you during a headache.

• Like 2