Rising of the Shield hero/ Obsessed 🤣

Seshi

I just finished episode 6. If you're expecting the edgy anti-hero promoted by fans of of light novels, you'd probably be dissapointed by the past couple eps. Personally, I don't mind it having more in common with How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord than Goblin Slayer. Though there are definitely indication of a larger more serious story as well. And how many eps do you think it will be before we find out that Spear Hero's miracle crop

came from the chest with a warning in the dungeon?

laugh_laughing.gif

And on a side note, Filo's seiyu is the same as Millim from Reincarncated as a Slime

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1

@Illusion of Terra I definitely recommend the anime, it is surprising and very satisfying in terms of character development- a huge win for me, I'm in love with all underdog stories, but this one also has elements of surprise and fun game style environment as well as game content built in to the characters abilities. I find that aspect to be one of the most entertaining because it takes the fun of being in an adventure game & puts it into a movie.

@Ohiotaku I totally missed that miracle crop reference in ep 6!! That's awesome 😹 Congrats.

Also, I don't compare anime with other anime, I always enter with a clean slate and give individuals a shot to become who the creator intended.

I don’t actually think Spear Hero is that bad of a guy, he just doesn’t realize he’s being led around by the short-hairs

it’s already been pretty much confirmed that the Princess has been the one stirring up shit up to this point, though her motives remain a mystery

As far as the comparison to other series, I get what you say but whenever someone asks for recommendations or “would I like it”,  I find it beneficial to offer some sort of point of reference (though if they haven’t seen those series either it’s a moot point :p). Of course every series has it own nuances and style even within the same genre (and sometimes across the form of presentation, I.e. light novels vs anime version).

Anyway, am I enjoying the series? Yup, though the degree can vary from week to week. And I’m definitely curious to see how things develop.

Edited by Ohiotaku

I was feeling that way about the spear hero until ep 5 when he vowed to never lose to the shield hero again basically and it just seems like his character started out with innocent intentions but is slowly being corrupted by the company he keeps

I watched two episodes on crunchyroll back when it first aired a few weeks ago, then I binged on the manga and read the 50 chapters in a day and half more less.

Basically... Its a good story, but like any other Isekai series it fails to set a proper pacing or objective, it starts really good then it becomes fairly boring because the objectives are all over the place.

Im not saying its a bad story, as far as isekai stories go this one is pretty far up on the list, just dont expect to be blown away by a masterpiece of a plot.

Im considering reading the light novel to finish this series and not look at it again.

10 minutes ago, CypherCode said:

Basically... Its a good story, but like any other Isekai series it fails to set a proper pacing or objective, it starts really good then it becomes fairly boring because the objectives are all over the place.

I felt this way when watching Fairy Tail, it is the main reason I fell away from watching the series, so I see what you're saying.

I think the plot follows very closely with how I would play Fable, or Dragon Age.. so to me the story is very fascinating and I can sort of feel the adventure and build up elements relying purely on the idea of leveling up the party members. It's so cool 🤣 Pardon me

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Seshi said:

I felt this way when watching Fairy Tail, it is the main reason I fell away from watching the series, so I see what you're saying.

I think the plot follows very closely with how I would play Fable, or Dragon Age.. so to me the story is very fascinating and I can sort of feel the adventure and build up elements relying purely on the idea of leveling up the party members. It's so cool 🤣 Pardon me

No, don't apologize, I totally understand. It's part of the reasons why it attracted me to begin with. If you have the chance, I advise you to check on the manga, since the anime follows it super tightly.

• Like 1

From what I have heard it sounds decent if not pretty dope honestly. I have yet to watch it though. I will likely wait till its nearly done airing for the first season so I can binge it. 

@ArchieKun I prefer to binge watch a series as well.. have no patience for this 🤣 Lord help me..

But anyway, yea I think you'd like it. It has so many interesting aspects. I thought it was going to be very straightforward but there was a huge plot twist from the beginning and so I'm looking forward to seeing what else the writers have in store for us.

2 hours ago, Seshi said:

@ArchieKun I prefer to binge watch a series as well.. have no patience for this 🤣 Lord help me..

But anyway, yea I think you'd like it. It has so many interesting aspects. I thought it was going to be very straightforward but there was a huge plot twist from the beginning and so I'm looking forward to seeing what else the writers have in store for us.

Its always good when a series takes a turn that you did not predict, and that turns out for the best. Gotta admit I may need to wwatch this sooner then I planned if its really that good.

Just watched episode 6 as well.

I'm not really a big fan of anime that have an in-game style. It even bothered me in that island in Hunter Hunter. In Shield Hero I think it is well-made though, not too intrusive.

As for the plot itself. I liked the twist in the beginning, and that the other heroes are more or less decent. I do dislike Spear Hero, even if he was often mislead by misleading information, he still wanted to charge the silver coins in that village.

What kinda bothers me is the whole guy traveling with young girls thing. I know that is popular but personally I always find it unfitting to the story as a whole. That's probably the biggest thing I remark.

All in all it is quite interesting, and I'm curious to see what will happen with that cursed crop.

Not every Anime is everyone's cup of tea, we all can agree to that.

I also am mildly bothered by the female characters in this anime being so young, and yet having them in a suggestive light... even if nothing happens, it's still very pervy and I think contributes to a problem we already have too much of in society... but what can you do? It's not just this anime, it's in nearly all of them. Even the Shield hero pointed it out saying something like "what's with all of the Lollicons in this culture, I get thinking little girls are cute but you  guys take it too far."

• Like 2

I guess this sort of appeals to lolicons in that aspect.

I found the whole thing of "Shes a kid, but suddenly she's not because [Bullshit mechanic] so its okay to sexualize her" to be a cheap move from light novel writters.

But eh, they gotta appeal to the big market, always.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seshi said:

@Illusion of Terra I thought of it like the demons in human form evolve in Inuyasha (so possibly in Japanese lore) and stop the aging process once in their prime.

that would be fine, if, in the flashbacks her parents werent considerably older looking + adults.

When you put it together it doesn't makes much sense sadly...

1 hour ago, Illusion of Terra said:

What did you think of the new episode? Somehow I thought they would make more out of the crop thing.

I definitely thought they would at least dedicate an entire episode to it , instead of splitting it with the obligatory hot springs ep, though they did tie it together with Raphtalia & Filo’s competitiveness to prove who’s most useful.

Fans of the source material keep saying there’s some really dark stuff coming. While I certainly wouldn’t mind them taking things a bit more seriously, I really hope they don’t go overboard with it since alternating between extremes tend to make series less enjoyable, for me at least.

Edited by Ohiotaku

I've been enjoying rewatching the episodes so far in English (so I can share it with my hubby).

One thing that has peaked my interest since I have rewatched it, is seeing the Queen of the so far crooked kingdom - hidden in her chaimber as if waiting to make her move. I can't wait to see what she is going to do with all of this intel she's collecting!

The view of Filo in a suggestive role keeps undermining the ideal of the series for me, it just cheapens it for me, and I'm really hoping it is put to an end soon.

loving Naofumi's transformations as the series Ian progressing, he's still in the party forming and adventuring stage, just like in any game, he's going to work on developing his skills and helping the people he comes across. I'm still finding this very interesting, and if as you say there's a dark plot coming, as long as it's not having to do with children being sexualized - I'm glad that it will continue to surprise me