Rising of the Shield hero/ Obsessed 🤣

Seshi

I deiced I want to read the light novel of this anime first before I really get into the series. However people have said the books of movies or television shows mat be different that it. Maybe it is or maybe not plus it gives me a chance to read more. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HanaApril said:

I deiced I want to read the light novel of this anime first before I really get into the series. However people have said the books of movies or television shows mat be different that it. Maybe it is or maybe not plus it gives me a chance to read more. 

While that is largely true in western si-fi, fantasy, and the like. That seems not to be quite as true in the case of lite novels vs manga vs anime. There is of course opinions, and everyone is going to have one regarding this, but for me lite novels tend to be as good in a different way as the anime, or manga for most series. I have not seen any of the series yet, but I will likely see the anime first, but definitely gonna check out the novel.

8 hours ago, Ohiotaku said:

I honestly have no interest in the novels since it's mainly fans of the novels complaining about the anime which I'm enjoying.

Such is the fate of a lot of anime adaptions, but I do think the contrast won't be quite as stark as in other things.

Thoughts after watching episode 8

So I'm wondering if Naofumi's new "cursed power" will be the root of the ominous turn fans of the source material are predicting, or if it's yet to come. I'm pretty sure he's aware that Raphtalia's cursed condition is from touching him, not the necro-dragon, so she probably lied to keep his public reputation from getting worse. It seems like the next quest will be trying to find a cure for it, but I wonder if they'll succeed, and if not what the long term consequences will be.  On the lighter side, Filo may look cute, but she's one tough bird

:lol:

I also think that both knew that the curse was from the shield but didn't want to tell the villagers. I have to say though, I kinda didn't like the whole explanation with the blood and Filo. That could have been done better I think. But overall quite a lot happened for just one episode.

@Ohiotaku Your signature image really fits the show 😂

4 hours ago, Illusion of Terra said:

I kinda didn't like the whole explanation with the blood and Filo

Yeah that was just sloppy writing, and completely unnecessary (just seeing her get swallowed oughta be enough to freak him out). This isn't Attack on Titan afterall :lol:

Hopefully he's not going to have to keep cleaning up messes left by the other "heroes". Kinda expect it from Spear Hero, but not the others so much

Thanks on the comment on the gif. I saw it while searching for an image I could use as an avatar on another site and decided to incorporate it here (for a while anyway)

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

😭😭😭

I thought filo died 😭 I am glad she's still alive,but now I see how cruel the maker of this show can be! I beleive since FILO swallowed that stone she is going to turn into an evil monster "God" that they have to defeat. She always seemed to have a dark side anyway, but maybe that was because she kept eating that cursed fruit from the plagued village.

The explanation I’ve seen offered on Filo’s behavior is that she is more of an “animal” than Raphtalia, making it harder for her to suppress her instincts. For example, her hatred of dragons is actually a natural trait of her species and is hardwired into the primal part of her brain

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Informative 1

10 hours ago, Ohiotaku said:

The explanation I’ve seen offered on Filo’s behavior is that she is more of an “animal” than Raphtalia, making it harder for her to suppress her instincts. For example, her hatred of dragons is actually a natural trait of her species and is hardwired into the primal part of her brain

Yes that does make sense, I remember the slave trader saying something like that.

However, I still beleive that powerful shard (which reminds me of the Shikon Jewl in Inuyasha) could lead her to have dark power.

I think they've leveled up enough for the 2nd wave, it needs to hurry up and get to that 🤣

Edited by Seshi

I agree that I'm liking it better now than in the beginning.  Currently it's probably my #2  of the season, though it's pretty much neck&neck with Reincarnated as a Slime. Shield Hero has more potential IMO though.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

I really enjoyed this week's episode, very easy-going. Why didn't they take the Holy Water right away though?

Best part was when spear hero talked to Filo
"I'll bet that Noafumi is working you like some sort of beast of burden"
                              "But I like pulling the carriage a lot"
"Naofumi, you swine, I'll cut you!"
😂

• Like 1

NEVER call a girl fat :lol: As funny as the segments with Filo and Spear Guy were, my favorite was probably the conclusion Naofumi & Raphti jumped to when they couldn’t find Melty. Easy to see why Naofumi’ s developing a reputation as a lolicon though.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Funny 1

52 minutes ago, Illusion of Terra said:

I really enjoyed this week's episode, very easy-going. Why didn't they take the Holy Water right away though?

Best part was when spear hero talked to Filo
"I'll bet that Noafumi is working you like some sort of beast of burden"
                              "But I like pulling the carriage a lot"
"Naofumi, you swine, I'll cut you!"
😂

Thanks for the reminder to watch today 😍

It sure was an interesting episode! I wish it didn't end the way it did, I wanted some more dialogue. Guess we'll see if Naofumi is convinced she isn't like her sister in the next episode, or if he's going to toss an opportunity out the window over fear.

Do you think he's right to question her character? I think she's superior to her sister and is actually honest/ truth seeking.

I guess the whole ‘I don’t trust nobody’ thing is supposed to make Naofumi seem like an antihero or badass or something but personally it’s what annoys me the most. Yes, some people are jerks but others have been grateful or at least willing to give him the benefit if the doubt. It should be pretty obvious there’s a conspiracy at work and a division in the royal family. If he could stop acting tsundere and hear Melty out, he might learn what it is.

2 minutes ago, Ohiotaku said:

I guess the whole ‘I don’t trust nobody’ thing is supposed to make Naofumi seem like an antihero or badass or something but personally it’s what annoys me the most. Yes, some people are jerks but others have been grateful or at least willing to give him the benefit if the doubt. It should be pretty obvious there’s a conspiracy at work and a division in the royal family. If he could stop acting tsundere and hear Melty out, he might learn what it is.

I have found his transformation from trusting to distrusting pretty legit. I think he's putting up a pretty big barrier to keep most people away from him so he doesn't get let down again when his ideals of true compassion are found to be false.

I do understand his reservations though. I mean, just look at what they did to him in the beginning. Accused of rape, all money taken from him and trying to be had at every possibility (like at the duel with spear hero couple of episodes back). After that a lot of people would be distrusting when it comes to royals

Thoughts after watching episode 10:

After some of the lighter moments over the past couple episodes, this week stayed really busy putting the focus back on the larger story.

It looks like the queen is being held hostage (or at least underguard). Naofumi makes it clear to Raphtalia he intends to return to his own world once the waves are over. He confronts Sword & Bow Heroes about the trouble they've caused by being reckless, with mixed results. And he gains some allies and equipment upgrades as well as information on some demi-human territories that they will probably travel to in the future. But first they have to make it past the second wave. I'm just getting a really ominous vibe about the way they're setting this up, like something bad is going to happen. Plus it seems like the chaos this time has a human(?) agent. But they still managed a bit of humor (the Spiderman reference & Raphtalia & Filo's sibling rivalry resurfacing.

I'm glad the series will carry over into the new season come April, though there may be a week break.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Illusion of Terra said:

What did you think about the whole getting back to his world thing? I hadn't really thought about it, but I don't think he can take anyone from that world back.

On some level I'm wondering if it's even possible for the heroes to actually go back, or if the royals/nobles just told them that to get them to fight for them. As far as Raphtalia going to Naofumi's world, kinda doubt it's possible and wonder if she did would she remain a demi-human or not.

11 hours ago, Illusion of Terra said:

I'm also curious about that witch-like character at the end. Wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be someone that has already appeared (like the king's daughter

It's just a theory at this point, but I'm wondering if the "waves" aren't actually an attempt by another dimension to invade or absorb the one Naofumi's been summoned to (kinda like the 2nd season of Rayearth). The monsters they fought in previous waves might've just been grunts/cannonfodder. That evil looking woman could be some sort of General or Champion from this other dimension who's going to get personally involved this time around.

• Like 1

Well I have now seen episodes 1-4. I have to say I am not quite obsessed so to speak, but I do see the large appeal to this anime. I will definitely be finishing it all the way through, and checking out the novels as well.

@ArchieKun I think if you watched episode 6 you'd like the show a bit more, up until then it was a bit less serious. It tends to meander off the main plot line a bit every few episodes and gets a little silly, but every few episodes it goes back on to the plot and peaks my interest again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Seshi said:

@ArchieKun I think if you watched episode 6 you'd like the show a bit more, up until then it was a bit less serious. It tends to meander off the main plot line a bit every few episodes and gets a little silly, but every few episodes it goes back on to the plot and peaks my interest again.

Agreed. I definitely find it more enjoyable the longer it goes on. I even find the sillier moments more enjoyable and am really hyped that it looks like the cour will end with an epic confrontation (guess it’s actually the third wave since the heroes weren’t summoned until after the first one.)

• Like 1