Rising of the Shield hero/ Obsessed 🤣

Seshi

8 hours ago, Illusion of Terra said:

I wasn't totally convinced of it at first as well. Now I think it is pretty alright. Not the best anime I've ever seen but it is worth watching and I think quite fun to watch :)

I share your sentiment here. I mran it is dope to be sure, and I love the story as well as the art. Though it is certainly not my favorite of even the year so far. Though its a bit early for that. 

• Like 1

I feel like this anime was a huge case of wasted potential. I feel the same way about SAO. The begin was so inspired and original only for it to turn in to a typical harem anime. Still worth the watch though. 

2 hours ago, LonelyPoet said:

I feel like this anime was a huge case of wasted potential. I feel the same way about SAO. The begin was so inspired and original only for it to turn in to a typical harem anime. Still worth the watch though. 

It certainly is niche for sure, and certainly not for everyone. Though it is a very interesting twist on the iskeiki genre. After finishing whats out this far I am certainly gonna be finishing it.

I have read some saying it is more, or less a waste, but I guess I don't understand why.

I think a lot of people were expecting it to be edgier and darker. Personally, I don’t mind that it’s not all bitterness and betrayal.

I actually have a bit of trouble seeing it as a harem, I mean Goblinslayer had more ladies interested in him (Cowgirl, Priestess, High Elf, Guild Girl, Sword Maiden) :lol:

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Ohiotaku said:

I think a lot of people were expecting it to be edgier and darker. Personally, I don’t mind that it’s not all bitterness and betrayal.

I actually have a bit of trouble seeing it as a harem, I mean Goblinslayer had more ladies interested in him (Cowgirl, Priestess, High Elf, Guild Girl, Sword Maiden) :lol:

I do agree that I do wish things would take a bit more of a darker turn then they have, With that said though it is called Rising of the Shield Hero is that alone would indicate him redeeming himself by the end. It dose seem though every time things could get darker it pulls a light heated joke at the last minute. Of course all this said we are only half way through the series as of yet so there is still plenty of time.

13 hours ago, Seshi said:

I feel like it definitely has the potential to get very dark, now that the curse series is unlocked. You know there has to be something coming that was different from the beginning.

I personally think things are not gonna get better for the Shield Hero, but get a bit worse.

Just watched the latest episode- Y’all definitely in for a treat with this one!! The original appeal of the series shines brightly.

The strength of the shield hero’s party and the tightness of their bond is evident. I love that the series takes that feeling of closeness through trials and integrates it into the characters bonds with one another.

When raphtalia says she will be his sword ⚔️ I was in love 😍 

The shield armor that appeared after the curse was activated was awesomely done. And the fight sequence was so fulfilling that it brought back fond memories of boss battles in the old final fantasies that’s I loved so much (8&9) 😍

Edited by Seshi

Thoughts after watching episode 11

It took me awhile to figure out that the Souleater Sword & Spear kept talking about was supposed to be the he boss character for that level in the game they say the world is based on, though as Naofumi points out there is more at stake then a game. 

Kind of an ineteresting wrinkle concerning the Rage/Curse Shield in that it can apparently be made more powerful by absorbing defeated enemies, but it also absorbs their resentment/rage making it harder for the wielder not too lose control. I assume Filo went into berserker mode too because her animal side is prevalent than with Rapthtalia.

Glad they still made some room for comedy with Filo’s trash talking and Kung-fu Granny.

Really looking forward to seeing what this “Glass” can do next week (the way her VA delivers her lines really implies a sense of menace. It will also be the midpoint so expecting awesomeness

@Ohiotaku also because Filo ingested the shard from the dragon, the same shard Naofumi fed to the shield.

Glass destroyed that soul eater with one strike when it took all of their strength to destroy that other one... lucky for them? Or highly unlucky? We shall see

Before wave they need to aim to get their status upgrades. Especially the sword, spear and arrow.. Why were they so weak? Weren’t they several levels higher than the shield?

19 minutes ago, Seshi said:

Filo ingested the shard from the dragon, the same shard Naofumi fed to the shield

Oh yeah, I forgot about that :P

The other heroes seem to think his curse/rage abilities are some sort of hack or cheat. And the slave trader commented on how his business was booming because people keep hoping to replicate the success Naofumi's had with Filo & Raphtalia. I'm afraid that this reputation of being a "cheater" is going to stick and keep him from the respect/gratitude he's due for most people. As for the real reasons, just have to keep watching and see I guess.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ohiotaku said:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that :P

The other heroes seem to think his curse/rage abilities are some sort of hack or cheat. And the slave trader commented on how his business was booming because people keep hoping to replicate the success Naofumi's had with Filo & Raphtalia. I'm afraid that this reputation of being a "cheater" is going to stick and keep him from the respect/gratitude he's due for most people. As for the real reasons, just have to keep watching and see I guess.

Personally when the slave trader mentioned that I snapped my fingers, and was thinking take that Spear Hero. Personally I rather like the dark regaining, and struggles the Shield Hero is having to go through. It is making him one hell of a power house thats to be sure.

• Agree 1

This was one heck of an episode! I also thought the whole curse shield absorbing the rage of others was a very clever twist :) I don't get the whole cheater thing though, it's just his shield's ability, isn't it?

I'm curious to see where the whole curse shield thing is going to lead. His ability was impressive though!

1 hour ago, Illusion of Terra said:

I don't get the whole cheater thing though, it's just his shield's ability, isn't it?

They just don't want to accept that he's actually stronger than them even though by their reasoning he should be the weakest (to be fair I expected them to be freaked out and more than a little scared the first time they saw him in rage mode). Sword Hero appears to be a bit more open minded than the others but still kind of skeptical. Bow Hero just seems stubborn and not wanting to back down. Spear Hero though has developed a personal grudge against Naofumi and just keeps getting more resentful the more Naofumi succeeds (I have a feeling it's going to take him down a very dark path).

• Like 2

Just now, Illusion of Terra said:

@Ohiotaku Hadn't thought about Spear Heroes development, but I think you might be right. I kinda don't think he is malicious in general but maybe he turns out to be.

Well just as Naofumis party is making him stronger and keeping him in check, Soear hero is being influenced by his party. He allows it, he should have been able to see through that princess by now, but his love of women is blinding him.

• Like 1

I believe that Mine manipulated him at first , but it's become a matter of personal pride now and he probably won't be satisfied now until he get's some sort of "revenge".  Even if he realized he's being used, admitting to it is harder for him than just continuing to believe the lie and blame Naofumi for anything bad that happens. And I’m sure Mine is reinforcing it with flattery and telling him what he wants to hear.

Edited by Ohiotaku

I Always get in a bad mood when seeing the other heroes, tho Ren is alright.

I think the series Is alright nothing special for me but fun to watch anyway

Edited by Humbby
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Humbby said:

I Always get in a bad mood when seeing the other heroes, tho Ren is alright.

I think the series Is alright nothing special for me but fun to watch anyway

I get that way too and agree Ren is the only tolerable one.

This series holds a lot of nostalgia for me, since I stopped playing my beloved RPGs - I kind of live vicariously through this show.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Humbby said:

I Always get in a bad mood when seeing the other heroes,

They actually do seem to go a bit overboard making a lot of the characters act like total ass hats, but

fcc.png

"Haters gonna hate, yo"

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Cute (Kawaii) 1
  • Funny 1

10 hours ago, Ohiotaku said:

They actually do seem to go a bit overboard making a lot of the characters act like total ass hats, but

I can't disagree with that. I mean I do realize that for example the Shield Hero's life was never made to be easy. Though it seems like the King, his eldest daughter, and Spear Hero are the only ones out for him anymore compared to the start of the series.

Preview of the 2nd cour(WARNING: MAJOR SPOILERS)

Looks like some flashbacks to Raphtailia's past before meeting Naofumi and the kingdom declares all out war on the Shield Hero

And here I thought I coudln't be more HYPE 🤩

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1

Thoughts after watching episode 12

Can't really call the confrontation with Glass a fight since it just served to show just how outclassed the Heroes (even Naofumi) were. Good thing Naofumi noticed the time limit and decided to run out the clock. I doubt the other "Heroes" would've been able to swallow their pride and do the same. Next time they meet they'll probably call Naofumi a coward for it (that and the fact that Glass rubbed their faces in how inferior they are to Naofumi will only make them hate him more). The way Glass talks about the Waves makes it sound like a contest between champions from different worlds, with the loser's world being destroyed, but will have to wait and see.

I'm kinda curious what the King meant when he seemed to blame demi-humans for losing his family. 🤔 I still believe that Melty is on the right side of things, but shows that being royalty she still has a problem with being told "NO" :lol: It was probably Myne that set up the assassination attempt since she could not only frame Naofumi, but also eliminate her rival to the throne. I'm sure they'll probably still spin things to make Naofumi look like the bad guy

According to LiveChart, there's an episode next week so probably no break unless next week marks the midpoint. Along with the scenes shown in the preview, it looks like the second half could very well surpass the first 😁

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1