Rising of the Shield hero/ Obsessed 🤣

Seshi

Yeah, the fight wasn't exactly brilliant. I was wondering how the other heroes got off the ship though?

I enjoyed that Naofumi confronted the king who even threatened Raphtalia and Filo. Am I the only one who thought that the woman Naofumi talked to in the hallway after the incident with the kind might have been Glass?

The episode was alright but it kinda seemed rushed, just an episode to set up what comes next. Then again, I really am interested in seeing what effects a class upgrade will have!

Edited by Illusion of Terra

37 minutes ago, Illusion of Terra said:

Am I the only one who thought that the woman Naofumi talked to in the hallway after the incident with the kind might have been Glass?

I think that was the woman who’s acting as the Queen’s messenger (not Melty). She’s appeared in a couple episodes, like the one where Naofumi & Filo raced Spear Hero. I really wonder what’s going on with her since she’s been keeping track of things, but keeps sending proxies. Also the source of the King’s grudge against the Shield Hero and demi-humans (though I would definitely say it’s personal now after that confrontation)

• Like 2

Not really a fan of the new OP, despite being by the same artist. I do like the new ED though, both the song and the visuals that go with it.

This week's ep as a whole was somewhat disappointing to me. The artwork/animation didn't seem up to the standards I'd come to expect, plus the storyline didn't seem to flow as well.

We're just now hearing about how the state religion is called The Church of the Three Heroes and they consider The Shield to be the Devil? I also don't like the way they're hinting that Melty has a crush on Naofumi now (the last thing we need is for it to become the loli harem some people accuse it of being).

The series still has plenty of potential and the trailer for the 2nd cour promises some very interesting developments, so hopefully this is just something of a shaky start as things start going into a new phase and things get back on track soon.

• Sad 1

Yes @Ohiotaku hopefully it was just one of the few filler episodes they tend to do in between missions, usually when embarking on a new journey. Luckily these things tend to pass quickly and get back to the main part of the show.

So I just watched ep 13, and it wasn’t at all a filler!

i loved the new into and outro, also the plot thickens. This is a great episode to come back to. I think Ren is going to redeem at least himself in the updiming episodes, hopefully the other hero’s follow suit and wise up.

why isn’t that awful Myne dead after getting a sword to the heart? Did it just stop her mana attack? Someone should have killed her off by now.. boy I can’t wait.

Also, I’ll bet she is setting that forest ablaze to say Naofumis Shield did it. It would suit her.

Edited by Seshi

I've several episode, but I don't enjoy it

But guys, it's just my personal opinion:

The story too clise, the hero, how do I put it?ah, to naive, and. Also I realy hate that harem trait that the Hero have, too dense? Yah, something like that....

How about the plot?Hmm,at least I can say this after a few episode, and also,by the way, I have read the manga and the light novel, all of it, the plot is too predictable, there is no,in Japanese saying, doki doki in watching or reading it

But, really, that's just my personal opinion, every people has it's own preference

Beside, the story already broadcast to the whole world, so it's ought to be amazing, for many people....But not for me

Enjoy the series Guys....

@D'RIS ya it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. I will say I prefer the anime to the manga, although I haven’t read the light novel. I totally understand being let down by a movie when you’ve read the book. Harry Potter films were like that for me since I was a huge fan of those books.

its too bad you couldn’t get into it, I think episode 7 is when it gets really good. Although there are a few small harem characteristics, it’s not especially focused on that, overall I think it’s a highly dismissable concept in this series, as it isn’t the main or even a huge focus.

8 hours ago, Seshi said:

So I just watched ep 13, and it wasn’t at all a filler!

Nope, sorry if that was the indication my comments gave. I guess in part I was expecting that big fight with the other Heroes to be a little further along in the story instead of right out of the gate. It kinda felt like they were rushing things, but I guess that's how the story actually goes.

I'm pretty sure the sword Raphtalia stabbed Myne with was orange and glowing, so probably not a physical blade, but at least it looked like it hurt

😁Myne clearly thinks she can do whatever she wants and get away with it: if she succeeds Melty is dead and she can blame Naofumi either way. I can understand the royal guards going along with it since they probably expect her to reward their loyalty. But Bow & Sword guy should realize what a psycho she is now. Spear guy has pretty much been reduced to comic relief at this point

As far as the harem aspect, I never really viewed it that way which is why I'm against them having Melty develop a crush on Naofumi. I'm not against her joining up with them, because it would give Filo a playmate and I do think she could be a useful ally, but having it develop into a 3 way competition for Naofumi's attention is the one thing I think could really hurt my enjoyment of the series. Fortunately I don't think they're headed that direction in the long term since the latest trailer seemed to show Naofumi & Raphtalia becoming closer.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

I thought the episode was decent. What I really enjoyed was how they are trying to frame him. It seems quite realistic, because I'm sure something like that actually could happen/happens.

But I agree with @Ohiotaku that it seems kinda odd that only now that cult is mentioned.
A few things seem too fabricated. Raphtalia got the mana sword just before she could use it in a very fitting way, the cult being introduced now etc. I still think it's great but I think it could have been improved without changing too much.

And yeah that whole Melty thing really is a bummer.

Just watched episode 14, and overall I am pretty impressed with where the story is headed.

Spoilers ahead.

Spoiler

I liked how Mel-chan put herself on the chopping block for the Shield Hero's sake. Her sister however has really grown to be quit a wicked bitch in all levels, and only seems to be getting worse even setting a forest on fire just to smoke them out. I do like also how the King is becoming all the more despite, and really getting his just deserts really. What goes around comes around. I can't say enough as well that I love how his party is developing in terms of their characters both independently as well as a group. I was a but disappointed at the ending being a big really plot development point being cut off, but then what else is new.

• Like 1

Yea there’s always something to keep you coming back. That’s kind of the point I think when ending an episode.

I am shocked at how dark the series is becoming, sort of giving me a bad vibe with that new slaver guy that had Ralphtalia as a child.. reminding me of berserk a bit 😩 I guess we’ll see how things go in the next episode, but I am prepared for the worst.

After ep 14.  Yeah, this is more like it. I definitely enjoyed this week's episode more.

I almost expected Glasses Guy to betray them, but the series isn't that subtle about who the bad guys are :lol: It becomes even clearer that the King's grudge against The Shield Hero is rooted in his role as a defender of the demi-humans, and I'm pretty sure in his case it's not just a matter of bigotry but something more personal (I have a theory, but that's all at this point). Looks like next week we'll see Raphtalia's backstory, though the preview of the second cour showed a good deal of it. And then the question will be "what does she do to the man responsible for so much pain in her life?"

Edited by Ohiotaku

5 hours ago, brycec said:

I have been watching this series as well, and finished episode 14.

I did enjoy the episode, though my list of characters I wanted dead grew with this episode.

I think for the most part character development was pretty spot on with episode 14. Other then the things I mentioned above in the spoiler I felt they nailed it otherwise.

I'm wondering who the blonde demi-human was Raphtalia knew (Riphana?). There were quite a few other demi-humans but apparently she stood out. Also I don't think Raphtalia is going to severely hurt that Ibol Rabier guy. Otherwise the show would really take a dark turn.

What still bothers me however is the whole Melty Naofumi thing. Just doesn't seem fitting in my opinion.

There doesn’t seem to be a Melty/ Naofumi thing.. she said that’s not what she’s looking for with him. I think it’s maybe a crush on him but more in an admiration role, possibly even a big brother or father figure type of way. That’s just my opinion. 

• Like 1

Honestly I'd be more then ok with the series taking a darker turn, and seeing Raphtalia kill him in my opinion he honestly deserves it.

I agree that there is not much of a thing with Melty either at best she is seeing him mostly as a last resort body guard. She is, or still wants to be loyal to the royal family. Though some development did take place that would suggest she may develop a attachment. Though I personally think if thats gonna happen at all it will be episode 15, or later. We still have half the series so far left too. So even if it dose not turn darker at this point it still could as there is plenty of time.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Illusion of Terra said:

Well, I hope you guys are spot on about the Melty thing. Of course, I kinda expect the story to develop with him and Raphtalia (not Melty or Filo), so I'm not too worried.

I don't know, if she kills him, I think Naofumi, it might change how Naofumi and the others see her?

I would personally have to disagree in particular with Naofumi thinking anything different of her. He is so broken at this point he is most likely okay with the idea since it is really her seeking justice. This being something he has yet to do against the King, or Royal family.

As for the others, and how they feel at this point Melity is not fully trusted so his only real opinion left to seek regarding Raphtalia's actions would be Filo. Of course even through some pretty dark stuff so far she has remained loyal to them both so I see no reason to think that would change. 

I do however agree that Melity is in no way going to interfere with Raphtalia's relationship.

• Like 2

When I refer to not liking how things between Naofumi & Melty seem to be developing, it’s not that I expect them to become an actual couple. With a lot of harem series it’s fairly obvious who the primary match is, but it can be annoying (to me anyway) when they use multiple girls competing for attention as a regular part of the show. As I said before, I don’t really consider Shield Hero to be a harem series (despite what some might say) up to this point, but I don’t want it to become one. The occasional bit as a way of character exploration is ok, but needs to be kept in check.

Edited by Ohiotaku