Rising of the Shield hero/ Obsessed 🤣

Seshi

13 minutes ago, Seshi said:

The above post was just me rooting for and being generally excited that they are showing Raphatalia & Naofumi together 💕

The preview for the 2nd cour showed  a conversation between the two that should make you very happy (think it may actually happen in this week’s episode)

• Friendly 1

Spear hero has already made his preference known (and apparently he’s a masochist considering what happens everytime he crosses paths with Filo) :P

• Silly 1

Let’s try and keep this discussion based on the anime, and please don’t put spoilers from the manga or light novel, as this is the anime discussion, and it a: has differences from the original content and b: not everyone watching the anime has read the manga or light novel.

• Agree 1

Quite the heavy episode. (are spoiler tags still wanted here?)

Now that I know the story, I don't think I could have blamed Raphtalia for seriously hurting that scumbag Idol Rabier. He even tried to kill her after she spared his life. But what the heck was that whole dinosaur squashing him part? Seemed a bit uninspired.

Raphtalia really had a difficult life but at least she got to see some of her old villagers again. I liked that there was at least some upside to this, even with the whole Rifana tragedy.

Edited by Illusion of Terra

I didn’t have a problem with the end results of this episode, just the stereotypical way it all played out.

Raphtalia get’s her payback by stabbing the Duke (non-fatally because it’s a spirit sword) and making the requisite “killing you would make me no better than you” speech. He then trips over his own weapon and falls several stories, but survives so he can be squashed by the T-Rex he summons. All just to leave absolutely no doubt that Raphtalia is 150% blameless in his death. It just seems an excessive amount of improbable events to support an unrealistic ideal of heroism (puts me in mind of the edited Han Solo/Greedo scene).[/spolier]

Setting  all that aside, it was good to see Raphtalia reunited with survivors from her village, though once again believability is set aside for dramatic affect with

her friend’s body being left to decompose in the cell still clutching the flag

Also the deepening of the bond between Naofumi and Raphtalia was heart warming.

With the conclusion of this episode, all scenes from the earlier preview has been covered, so no idea where things go from here. Though the title of the next ep makes it sound like Filo may evolve to an even more OP form

Edited by Ohiotaku

Got done watching this week’s episode, and really enjoyed it.

It was nice to see how far Naofumi had come since the beginning, and Raphtalia stabbed the guy I wanted dead.

Only thing I did not like was that he survived Raphtalia’s attack.

Raphtalia:

Is everyone just unimpressed with the huge dinosaur that just got summoned? I’m truly excited to see this battle. 

Sad episode, I definitely teared up a few times. I’m glad there were survivors there from that cruel dungeon, but also can’t fathom the state those Demi humans must be in emotionally and physically after such prolonged treatment.

Would it be bad for me to assume that the trauma they were subjected to will push them over the edge? I could definitely see that little guy becoming enraged, power hungry and self destructive. But I hope it doesn’t come to that. 

Episode 16 was all kinds of awesome. We get a look at what Filo has the potential to become, though it might take a couple centuries. Good to see someone finally giving Naofumi the talking to he needs, though the note it ends on makes you wonder how things will go down next week. Also good that Sword & Bow are finally starting to believe that Myne and The Church are  up to something

apparently monopolizing the heroes to protect the human countries/kingdoms while allowing the waves to wipe out the demi-humans and magical races

Definitely hyped for the rest of the cour.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Seshi said:

Ok so Crunchyroll didn’t release dub this week? Wth

I was thinking the same thing. I was watching ef, while waiting for the episode to be up in its best quality possible, but it never came up.

And disappointingly enough, Crunchy says it will come next week.

They better pay up and give us 2 episodes, since the dub and sub were supposed to be available the same day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brycec said:

I was thinking the same thing. I was watching ef, while waiting for the episode to be up in its best quality possible, but it never came up.

And disappointingly enough, Crunchy says it will come next week.

They better pay up and give us 2 episodes, since the dub and sub were supposed to be available the same day.

That stinks. I haven’t watched any of the episodes dubbed and this certainly does nothing to change my mind. Had they been pretty consistent up too this point?

Edited by Ohiotaku

1 minute ago, Ohiotaku said:

That stinks. I haven’t watched any of the episodes dubbed and this certainly does nothing to change my mind. Had they been pretty consistent up too this point?

Release, why, yes.

When the show was new, Crunchy delay have some delay, but so far, they have consistently released the dub and sub on the same day.

Of course I remember the “good old days”  when you had to wait years for an anime title to be licensed and you only got 2 - 4 episodes at a time, usually months apart. And it was on VHS & still cost you $20 - $30.  So we do indeed live in a golden age :lol:

For what it’s worth, the animation for the fight against the T-Rex was awesome as well

2 minutes ago, Ohiotaku said:

Of course I remember the “good old days”  when you had to wait years for an anime title to be licensed and you only got 2 - 4 episodes at a time, usually months apart. And it was on VHS & still cost you $20 - $30.  So we do indeed live in a golden age :lol:

I kind of remember that too. Of course, that lasted into the DVD era too.

3 minutes ago, Ohiotaku said:

For what it’s worth, the animation for the fight against the T-Rex was awesome as well

I’ll have something to look forward to next week for then.

Just finished watching episode 16. I have to say it is rather good. I loved the twist at the end very much, and it only left me begging for more. I'm not gonna be spoiling it though.

Ah Archiekun I’m glad you enjoyed that twist at the end. I was rather upset and conflicted. I thought the FQ was just being an idiot/ overstepping. I can see that by her words

If the heroes are fighting amongst themselves then I remember what I have to do

that the previous hero who left her with a responsibility had her conditioned. Maybe that can be broken.

My thoughts on FQ’s rationale:

I think it all comes down to the old Spiderman saying “With great power comes great responsibilty”. The 4 Heroes have the power to save the world, but the latest incarnation are using those powers as weapons in their own personal feuds or being manipulated into protecting Melromarc while the rest of the kingdoms are being destroyed (after which they can invade, just like Raphtalia’s village). Basically, if they misuse their powers they are no longer saviors, but a threat instead. She’s particularly concerned that Naofumi will be corrupted by his rage, repeatedly warning him about using the Curse/Rage powers as his trump card. And in typical fashion his response is “F.U. I’ll do whatever I have to in order to survive, besides I have it under control.”

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ohiotaku said:

My thoughts on FQ’s rationale:

Hide contents

I think it all comes down to the old Spiderman saying “With great power comes great responsibilty”. The 4 Heroes have the power to save the world, but the latest incarnation are using those powers as weapons in their own personal feuds or being manipulated into protecting Melromarc while the rest of the kingdoms are being destroyed (after which they can invade, just like Raphtalia’s village). Basically, if they misuse their powers they are no longer saviors, but a threat instead. She’s particularly concerned that Naofumi will be corrupted by his rage, repeatedly warning him about using the Curse/Rage powers as his trump card. And in typical fashion his response is “F.U. I’ll do whatever I have to in order to survive, besides I have it under control.”

Even with that rational she is still wrong.

The waves are picking up in strength and the heroes are pretty far along in their leveling up and abilities. What makes her think new heroes with lvl 1 abilities are going to stand against a higher level wave coming? It makes no sense. So I see a pretty big flaw with that reasoning. Even if she’s just supposed to do her duty and has a certain ideal of what the heroes are meant to do, she’s not going to save anyone with that plan. Which we all know will just fizzle out in the end anyway.

• Like 1

Maybe she feels that if the world after the waves is one where Queen Myne and The Church are running things and non-humans are extinct or slaves, it shouldn’t survive. Certainly not noble or heroic, but like she said she isn’t human and the person she owes her gratitude to is already long dead.

Or maybe she just intends to make it clear to Naofumi and the others that they can’t even beat her, let alone the future waves, unless they set aside their differences and work together

Only time will tell.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ohiotaku said:

Hide contents

Or maybe she just intends to make it clear to Naofumi and the others that they can’t even beat her, let alone the future waves, unless they set aside their differences and work together

Only time will tell.

I was thinking this as well. But not sure how it would play out. She’d have to let them go and then meet up with them later I think.